Does a Treadmill Count?

DM01234
DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
I've seen so much negativity on various threads on the boards about using a treadmill as the tool. I for one don't mind it and find it most convenient for my life. I also don't like the thought of running outside on the harder pavement. Perhaps some day my view may change, but for now it's the view I hold.

So - if getting to the point of not being able to run / jog more than 5 minutes without falling over to running the length of a 5K - does it count?

Replies

• SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    I'm no expert and speak with absolutely no authority but I'm currently using a treadmill for C25K for convenience/accessibility reasons, although I've only completed Week 1 and 2 thus far. If I had easy access to level-ish ground I'd give the great outdoors a try. I understand that the treadmill experience is different but that doesn't make it any less valid.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Yes, it totally counts, but don't discount outside runs. I can't do the treadmill anymore. I don't like that I have to keep the pace of the treadmill, and when you get to 20+min running, it was boring. I now jog outside exclusively. In the beginning I was just like you though. I preferred the treadmill until I couldn't complete a run on it, but I could outside. If it works for you, great, but I'm done with it as a training tool.
  • DM01234
    Thanks for the replies. Good to know.....

I keep the deck at a 1% - 2% incline at all times and my speed is about 4.8 - 5.0 depending on the day.

At this point, after following the Treadmill version of the C25K, I'm able to do the entire 5K.

Again, I know it's not the same as outdoors with wind resistance and continual grading changes, but it works for me.

I feel pretty good about it but at this point I would like to keep doing it to work on my speed. I'm not going to be a sprinter but would like to get it faster overall.

Would like to get an elliptical to give my body a little bit of a break - but am most interested in keeping the running up as I am able to.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    I think it counts. I did C25K completely on the treadmill and it sure felt like it counted. :smile:

If you ever do run outdoors, be prepared to find a difference and not do as well as you do on the treadmill. This is normal and you'll catch up with your old self within a few weeks. It's just hard to propel your body forward while running (something you don't do on the treadmill) and that takes a bit of getting used to (and training another set of muscles).

I use the treadmill every winter as well due to icy roads and dark nights. The treadmill is a useful tool and we should take advantage of it when it suits us.

Keep running and having a good time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I keep the deck at a 1% - 2% incline at all times and my speed is about 4.8 - 5.0 depending on the day.

At this point, after following the Treadmill version of the C25K, I'm able to do the entire 5K.

Again, I know it's not the same as outdoors with wind resistance and continual grading changes, but it works for me.

Sounds like absolute purgatory to me, I can cope with about 5 minutes on one before I'm bored, but my preference is firmly for trail running, so lots of rough terrain, trees, wildlife and weather :)

In pratice putting the elevation on the macine doesn't make a hge difference, so I'd really just say that you need to set your expectations about how much a dreadmill equates to real world running. If you're thinking about entering a 5K race, then anticipate that equating to about 8km on the machine, and plan your pace accordingly.

As far as cross training is concerned, rather than an elliptial I'd suggest some resistance training. the effects of that are complementary to the running, reducing your injury risk, and improving your running power, hence pace. My preference is for bodyweight training, using You Are Your Own Gym, although alternatives exist.
  • DM01234
    Thanks all for your input.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    It definitely counts, but it's also definitely different than running outdoors.

Most weeks I do 2 days on the treadmill and one day outside. I used the treadmill exclusively for the first 3 weeks and when I tried outside on the 4th week I thought I was going to die :) The big difference for me was the consistency of pace. It turns out I was running much faster outside than on the treadmill because I couldn't tell how fast I was going. After 9 weeks (I've repeated a few weeks :) ) I think I've figured the pace thing out, but I'm still going to stick with my 2 days of treadmill out of necessity (time/location/heat).
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    It turns out I was running much faster outside than on the treadmill because I couldn't tell how fast I was going.

I'd forgotten all about this. I did this, too. It feels slower running outdoors because you can't tell how fast you're going and you speed up.
    I finally got a Garmin GPS watch and that helped a lot. Without the watch, I had to get used to feeling as if I were running slow and just trust that I wasn't going slower than normal.

The rains will be coming soon so my days on the treadmill will start again.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    I did my C25K the first few months of 2014. Began inside on the treadmill and moved outside the last few weeks of the program when the weather was warmer and road/paths less icy/snowy. Ran with the treadmill on an incline of 1.5%. I think if anything, if you're going to run a race, you should try at least some running outside to get used to it.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    It counts, for sure! I'm on W3D3 and ran outside for the first time today. It was totally different. I'll be doing both in the weeks to come :)