Carb day

Options
laura0770
laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
Hi everyone

I was wondering if any of you have one day a week that you treat yourself to something like bread or pasta?

Replies

• Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    I wouldn't advise it if you're trying to stay in Ketosis. It takes time to transition into ketosis under normal circumstances. If you're not following a ketogenic diet then it might not be such a big deal for you. For myself, I try to follow a ketogenic diet so this would be counterproductive for me.
  • Debusaurus
    Debusaurus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recently started a very strict ketogenic diet and I've been in ketosis for 4 days now, perhaps longer though I did not check further back than that. I haven't had any desire to break the diet, and this is the first time in my life while restricting myself that I don't feel like I'm starving for something.

I've been educating myself on all kinds of alternative ways to get the same enjoyment out of food, but with healthier and more wholesome ingredients. As for bready-foods, I'm actually going to grab some coconut flour today and try cooking with that. I've seen a lot of good cakey treats with coconut flour, and a few pizza crust recipes I am curious about!

There is one comfort I know I will miss.. and that is the local pizza buffet I support each month. That may sound odd, but I'm friends with the owner and I love the exchanges and experiences we have each time my family dines at his restaurant, and I'm encouraged to eat an entire pizza each time I visit, so I KNOW that is totally bad on me. ^^;

I'm looking forward to making more progress in my diet before I return, but in addition to the bread topic.. I'm curious how long you guys think it might take to get back into ketosis if I strictly follow my diet, but have a day a month where I just gorge myself on pizza for one meal..? I watched my husband do this with his diet and he felt incredibly sick after, so I don't know if I can! Still curious, however.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I've been following a lchf lifestyle for just over 4 weeks. I eat no more than 20-30 grams of net carbs. The other day I thought it would be okay to have a really thin piece of chocolate cake. I actually got a headache an hour later and had a stomach ache the entire next day. Next time I cheat, it will be with a root vegetable or grain and not a white flour product. Plus I don't want to be kicked out of keto.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't have a carb day, but I do have a carb treat a weak. I fast the next day till diner time to get rid of the glycogen stores.

Personally, what seems to stall my weight loss is dairy (that really saddens me) and nuts.
  • eatingfatbeingfat
    eatingfatbeingfat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For me the keto-flu was closer to keto-hell. I can't imagine going through 2 weeks of that again. Also I realized that most wheat/sugar was giving me painful bloating and gas. I honestly did not know that this was not normal until I did keto.

I would say definitely do a carb day if that seems right for you, but make sure it is from vegetables or fruit instead of other sources.
  • ttesoroni22
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about one slip up. There are actually benefits to having carb "refeeds" depending upon your activity level. Hormonal benefits too. I would recommend a book by John Keifer called Carb Nite Solution that explains it way better than I can.