My First Ultra 50k then marathon 6 weeks later

Options
UrbanRunner81
UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
I think I know what plan I want to use for my first ultra. But I am not sure what to do after to prepare for Pittsburgh Marathon 6 weeks later.
Suggestions, ideas?

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hopefully your ultra will be easier than mine. I know I wasn't ready five weeks later. I'll let you know if I'm ready after six weeks or not lol. Which are you racing?
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    JC Stone 50k
    http://www.jcstone50k.com/

it isn't trail
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I think you should be fine in 6 weeks. You'll have more confidence to run that marathon after our ultra :-)
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    I am trying to figure out what to run during those 6 weeks. Pick up the last 6 weeks of a marathon training plan or wing it? lol I am not good at winging it. I love to have a plan.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think you should be fine in 6 weeks. You'll have more confidence to run that marathon after our ultra :-)

This ^. Your confidence going into the marathon will be a lot higher knowing that you have already conquered distances greater than 26.2. If you can increase your mileage base before then and allow a good recovery after you finish the 50k, you should be perfectly fine after a few tune up runs.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

+1 to the confidence part. I think the recovery is going to hinge on the difficulty of the ultra, along with time on your feet. Funny thing you will probably be up for a long run about the same time you'd want one for Pitt. Just treat the ultra as a low pressure, low stress race. The runners at those are pretty much like that anyway.

I think it will work out perfectly, and I think you'll have a blast challenging yourself :drinker:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out what to run during those 6 weeks. Pick up the last 6 weeks of a marathon training plan or wing it? lol I am not good at winging it. I love to have a plan.

Post ultra - do a reverse taper, then a "forward" taper.

Ultra
    W1 - 8
    W2 - 13
    W3 - 20
    W4 - 13
    W5 - 8
    Marathon
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you all. I think it will be fun! :smile:
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Haha! That's exactly what I am doing right now! I ran my 50K July 26 and the marathon is next Sunday. However, you probably DON'T want to do it how I am doing it, ie: getting that silly concussion and missing pretty much the last month of marathon training. Sunday should be interesting!

Seriously, though, my plan up to that point was to follow HH Advanced I program. I took two days off...doing absolutely nothing and then picked up on the week where my long run was the 15 miler. I was just going to pick up where I left off. Unfortunately, I didn't get much further than that due to the head injury.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I would take the week after the 50K off from following a training plan then pick up the last 5 weeks of your training plan.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above! Have fun!

{I think you'll be fine. If it's not a trail ultra, you won't be on your feet for too much longer than you would for a long run. You can just treat it like an extra long training run!}
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

Post ultra - do a reverse taper, then a "forward" taper.

Ultra
    W1 - 8
    W2 - 13
    W3 - 20
    W4 - 13
    W5 - 8
    Marathon

I like this plan but I'd say you'd be fine even cutting that 20 down to 15-16