Hashimoto's and so much trouble losing weight

Options
lisa4kids
lisa4kids Posts: 54 Member
Hi...
I have had Hashimoto's for 13 years. I have struggled with my weight the whole time, but I've never been as heavy as I am now, and it's really disheartening. I did lose 20lbs about 3 years ago, but I gained it all back plus another 10. I've been trying to be more careful again for about 2 months now, but I gained another pound since I was last at the doctor. I know exercise is key, but my levels aren't optimal right now, so I've been absolutely exhausted, to the point that I often cannot even move. Over the last 6 months, I have felt the worst I've ever felt since being diagnosed. I found out that my thyroid (via ultrasound) had been attacked by my own body so much, that it is now very tiny and barely functioning, along with my poor metabolism.
My new endocrinologist tried me on cytomel for 2 months and I did fine, so we are going to slowly move me to Nature-Throid while weaning me off of my levothyroxine, in hopes that this will help me feel better and find my "sweet spot" as far as my levels and how I feel.
I recently have gone gluten free, although I occasionally slip up and accidentally "gluten" myself. I also cannot eat soy and I do have issues with dairy, but I can't seem to give up cheese right now.

I would love to connect with some other friends who also have Hashimoto's because it really is a struggle like no other. I need to lose 60 pounds. I know I can do it, but I need to crawl back out of this hole of despair and start all over. I am turning 50 next summer, and I want to feel and look great!

I would also love to hear anyone else's helpful hints and success stories!

Replies

• VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Fellow Hashimotos sufferer here! Been struggling for 1.5 years so far, trying to get things regulated to feel some sort of balance! No success here ! Feel good for a few weeks then start struggling with energy and brain fog. I thnk I never know how long the good streaks will last so I Cram in a bunch of extra stuff then as a result I feel crummy again!! Also at my highest weight and haven't found a way to succeed with this battle!
  • RedBec7
    RedBec7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this for over 3 years now. In the last 6 months I have had two 5 week periods where I felt like a normal, healthy person. I was able to lose weight by eating better and counting calories. But that didn't last and when I'm not feeling right I don't lose weight no matter what I do. I really want to lose another 30+ lbs but I don't know how at this point. I can do everything right but eventually things get messed up and I'm back to feeling awful again. Right now I feel hyperthyroid (nervous, anxious, can't sleep, can't concentrate, jumpy, easily distracted) after a month of feeling very hypo (so tired, brain fog, horrible memory, depression). It's hard not to have any control over this.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Me too! I am currently on Armour and I feel fantastic. I am in maintenance (still exercising and tracking calories to keep my weight in check, and to combat other health problems), and I'm proof that you can lose weight ***when your thyroid treatment is optimized***.

I struggled for years on synthroid, gaining weight sometimes without eating anything at all. The turning point was almost getting fired from my job (poor performance due to brain fog and constantly oversleeping due to total exhaustion). Turns out I have basically no thyroid function anymore and was unable to convert the T4 in synthroid to any usable hormone. Gee, thanks, Hashi's!

Weight loss can be accomplished! My doctor says that even on optimized treatment, we sometimes have to work a bit harder than a "normal" person to lose weight, because no treatment is a perfect replacement. And some of us struggle a bit more than others with finding the right treatment.

Send me a friend request if I can be of any help.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    so glad im not the only one going through this. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a little over 3 years ago. My meds have been tripled since. Im now on 150 of Eltroxin. It doesnt matter how much i sleep, i am always tired.
    My weight has continued to go up over the last couple years and its very frustrating as i am fairly active.
    My appetite can get out of control, but even when i go through phases of eating well, i dont lose anything.
    I have a hard time concentrating, i cant focus, all i want to do is nap.
    I am seeing my dr in a few weeks as i havent my blood work done in a while, so hopefully something good will come out of that, but im not counting on it.
  • RedBec7
    RedBec7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been on 90 mg of Armour Thyroid since March. Was on 75 mg before that. Over the last 4 years I've been on just about every dosage available - up and down and up again.

The 90 seemed optimal for a while but it didn't last.

I've got a second appointment with my new doctor on Thursday. The first appt. was naturally more general although I did explain my thyroid issues. This time I want to focus on thyroid/Hashi's because I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. I need to know what is causing all the ups and downs and what to do when they happen. I really like feeling normal for those brief periods and losing weight was so awesome. The last 6 weeks or so have been really bad. But I'm going to pick myself up and dust off and do what I can - eat right and try to sleep, etc. Hopefully the doctor can help with the stuff I can't control.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Another Hashi buddy here. Diagnosed in 2009 but had been symptomatic for much longer. On L-Thyroxine ( natural thyroid hormones are not prescribed in Germany ). Sometimes maintaining on 500 - 700 kcal deficit, sometimes gaining, sometimes ( happened twice in the last 10 years ) losing. Feel free to add me.
  • lisa4kids
    lisa4kids Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hate that anyone has to go through this!
    I stopped my cytomel the other day and decided to give my body a few days off before adding the Nature Throid to my levo and wouldn't you know... all my horrible symptoms have almost gone away!!! I knew that medicine was not right for me. I hope that I'll feel okay once I start the NT, but I guess if I feel lousy, I'll know I can't tolerate T3 meds.
    I am trying really hard right now. The worst is when we go out for dinner. I ate a salad and everyone enjoyed desserts afterwards, and all I did was took a mouse nibble of my son's cannoli. I feel really crave-y tonight, so I guess I'm going to make a protein shake with chocolate.