October Fitness Challenge

Options
lemurcat12
lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
Hope it's okay if I start the thread again, Sue. I think everyone has been really busy, so that's why we are so quiet, but I hope this remains a place where everyone wants to check in and share struggles and triumphs and goals, since it's been one of my favorite places at MFP.

That said, October goals, everyone?

I'm going to try and keep up my regular biking (including commuting) and my running training plan, which is aiming for a half marathon in early November. But my biggest October goal is to really focus on strength training and start being much more consistent and tracking progress. This might fit in well with my continuing "try new things" goal too.

Replies

• belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    The half marathon is a great goal! My October goal is to finish the 30 day shred!
  • CumberlandGrammy
    CumberlandGrammy Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting us rolling, Stephanie! I think you are right that folks are busier and therefore a bit quieter. I am looking at a month where I will be really challenged outside my box (doing a little acting and serving as "costume director" for a local event), so I plan to be careful about committing to goals that can fit in my fuller days. Just don't want to get in that freak out mode as I tend to do.

I know I need to work on strength training, lifting, that sort of thing, but again, for now, I will stick with the "no brainer" stuff for me this month. That means, I will take what I did last month and notch it up a bit.

*ride for 1200 minutes minimum on my exercise bike (last month's goal was 1,000; I hit 1100)
    *ride for at least 325 miles (Last month: 292.5 - did not have a goal for that. I figure the miles will either make me pedal faster or longer)
    *return to 100% logging on food and water, every day
    *drink at least 80 ounces of water every day
    *breathe, relax, and trust that all will get done in time for the shows

Wishing everyone a spectacular October of eating good food and getting fit!
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting up the October thread, Stephanie! I've been so busy, lately! Stand-up is taking up a lot of space in my life and then this week I was trying to finish up a monster report for my day job. Some days, it's all I can do to log my food.

I really want to get back on track with more vigorous exercise. For October, I want to get back to the 30DS 3x/week. I stopped, the last week of September, when my schedule got too busy. I'm going to keep my calorie burn goal at 3600 calories/week and my calories at 1650. I hope I'll be out of the 170's by Halloween!!!
  • whiskeybiz11
    whiskeybiz11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Warrior Women!

There are 4 solid weeks left of this month, with Halloween fun at the end!

Here are my October goals (speaking it into existence is what I need today):

1. Log in every day
    2. Bite it, write it! Track everything.
    3. Up my cardio to 2 miles run (err, jog) 2 x week and 3 miles 2 x per week (with the dog!)
    4. Continue Pilates 60 min classes 4 x per week (with focus and intention!)

Happy first Monday of the month!
  • suejoker
    Options
    This new format is strange, but nice!bby6b0fghyyb.jpg
    This is a pic of some of my family, at my birthday party. I think the easy ability to insert pictures is probably the best new feature of this new format.

I've been working a lot more, lately. I miss my free time, but am enjoying earning more money and doing stand-up again. I haven't jumped back in to 30 Day Shred yet, but am hopeful for tomorrow.

How's everyone else doing?
  • CumberlandGrammy
    Options
    So happy to have been steered in the right direction (Thanks, Stephanie!) to be reunited with my Warrior Women! What a sweet family photo, Sue! Glad to hear you are doing well.

All is good and busy with me as I prepare for a big living history event here -- gah, what do I know about costuming????? Actually -- things are looking good on that front thanks to an amazing volunteer I stumbled upon.

While I am trying to knock off a few pounds (rather be on the lower end of the 140s than dancing around in the upper 140s), I seem to be doing a bang-up job of living and loving at a maintenance level. I know I am working out a bit harder and longer, but should probably change it up if I want to see some real change in me. Maybe, just maybe, I am actually fine with my body just like it is.

At any rate, I am charting my exercise, water, calories, and even the occasional cookie binge on a calendar -- very informative for me. Humming "getting to know you, getting to know ALL about you..." here - haha!

Now to bake not one but two birthday cakes today ... yes, we are in the birthday mode in the family - one or more a month for a stretch here right before the delicious holidays. Well, if I can maintain during this season, I suppose I can decide (operative word there) to be happy with that.

Wishing the best to all of you! Let's hear how you are doing, friends. :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Love the photo, Sue!

Cumberlandgrammy, doing the costuming for a living history event sounds like tons of fun, although challenging. I love local history. What does it involve, if you don't mind telling us?

I'm doing pretty well. Haven't been biking much, but am running most of my training plan runs and feel pretty well prepared for the half marathon in early November. The weather was perfect for the Chicago marathon on Sunday, so I hope it holds up for my event (in the western suburbs) in a few weeks.

Other than that I've been focusing a little more on strength training and learning to use a barbell with proper form, which is fun, since I'd only ever used dumbbells before this.
  • CumberlandGrammy
    Options
    Thanks for asking, Stephanie! The living history event is called The Legends of Oglethorpe. This is our second year staging the event. We're just a motley group of folks living in a small town who are trying to revitalize our community and bolster local pride. I know nothing about costuming but have some strengths as an organizer (that's the elementary school teacher in me), so this has been a real challenge for me. Fortunately, I've found someone who considers living history her "candy" as she put it. She's constructed most of the exquisite costumes. Another rather new challenge for me -- I have a small acting part in it - along side my daughter (Fun!!). I haven't had a role with lines on a stage since I was 12!

Down side is that I missed exercising the past two days and fell short on it today. I've also been munching while spending too much time emailing and coordinating. Hope to get back in the full swing of paying attention to my health and fitness goals tomorrow. Straying from my path has not felt very good.

I am so impressed by your unwavering focus on your healthy eating and working out. You still owe us a new pic! :smile:
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    Everyone sounds like they are doing great!!! I have a 5K Saturday that I pretty much haven't trained for at all. So, we will see how that goes!
  • suejoker
    Options
    Woohoo! Veronica's doing a 5K! Cumberlandgrammy's trying her hand at costuming and acting! Stephanie's in training for a half marathon! You women are so inspirational!

I'm glad I had time to peek in, between work and stand-up, to see what amazing things you're all doing. I've had Aunt Flo visiting all week, so I haven't resumed the 30DS, but I hope to be free of her by Friday. Then, I need to really prioritize getting back on the fitness wagon. It's been difficult for me, since I got busier, but I know the longer I wait the less I'll want to do it. I hope that I have better news to share next time.
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    YOu can do it, Sue!! I haven't been diong 30DS as regularly but that is just because I got back from vaca and got super lazy. Ha!
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    Doesn't someone in this group do the Hogwarts Challenge?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I do. I'm in Slytherin.
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    I am in for the next time, too! I was a Death Eater this last go around. I will be in Gryffindor.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Excellent. It's a fun challenge.
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, it sounds like you are doing well. I have been back slidding a bit and in a bit of a decline. I am still losing, which I am not sure how but I am. So, my challenge from me trainer this week is to not eat out at all. We normally eat out a few days a week so that is a pretty huge challenge for us. However, I accepted said challenge and yesterday prepared food for almost every day this week for lunch and dinner for both Larry and I. Larry does not eat the same foods I do, so I cooked his stuff first and then I got pasta, chicken, turkey burgers cooked and ready for me, chopped and washed stuff for salads and I have veggies and fruit ready to eat. So, I am hoping for a big loss on Wednesday this week as well as next. I have been ramping my excercise back up as well, even with the broken toe (which is killing me). My knee is starting to hurt again, I am assuming from the walking goofy because of the foot. LOL

Anyway, keep up the great work every one...I am hoping that my attitude will continue to improve. I am not sure what the heck brought the crabby blues on, but I am hoping I can fight this and get it out of the way. I have been going to counseling and I think that is not helping the attitude at all. LOL I am sure it will soon.

Have a great week all!!!!!!!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    You can definitely do it, Sue! Keep us posted on your activities.

Jodi, that all sounds tough, but like you are doing well. I've been off and on with my own logging--going out a decent amount and not bothering to even try to log since it's a pain but trusting that I'm eating pretty well and close to my calories (which I think I am, but I don't want to get too lax). I had intended to start bringing lunch again this week, but instead work + efforts to work out earlier than usual have actually meant I've bought breakfast once and relied on quest bars for another, which is the opposite of what I was supposed to do. That's something to focus on next week, though.

I've been trying to keep up my running while taking strength training seriously and learning to do it right. I had to acknowledge that I'd pretty much always put cardio first and that wasn't going to work if I wanted to make progress. I also have basically abandoned my biking for the past couple of weeks, which could last into the winter, and I've decided if it does that's okay--I'll ride when I have time on a nice day, but not stress about it.

My knee issue has been threatening to come back and I know it has been related to tight hip flexors, among other things, so I'm also rededicating myself to my PT exercises and stretching.
    Another rather new challenge for me -- I have a small acting part in it - along side my daughter (Fun!!). I haven't had a role with lines on a stage since I was 12!

Wonderful, CumberlandGrammy. When is it? I hope you can share photos of the costumes, too.

I need to add a photo or two to my profile, just for fun.
  • CumberlandGrammy
    Options
    Hi, Stephanie! When is it? ... Gulp - dress rehearsal with the local shopkeepers as our invited guests is tomorrow night and then performances are this Sat and Sun. We'll do our little 6 minute vignette 45 times on Sat and Sun. Whew! I will try to share photos or provide a link to the website when they are loaded. Can't wait for you to post your new pics! You've made quite a transformation, I am sure!