Do I have to eat,even when I don't feel hungry?

Options
I can honestly say I didn't feel hungry today. I ate because I thought I had to eat something as my body needs proteien and vegetables and other nutrients. Most days I get hungry and I eat my 1000 calories a day. But is it fine if I don't eat much, say only half the calories on some days? I always make sure to take in adequate liquids though. I am 1 year post op.

Replies

• freedomfighter1
    freedomfighter1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I must just add also, that I don't get these days very often.. Lol. I have many other days where all I can think of is food and then on other days I don't feel much restriction and is surprised by the amount of food I can eat.. It's like my tummy has a mind of its own or maybe "mood swings" Lol
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist always told me to "average 1,000 calories per day". I weigh on Saturday mornings so I count Sunday through Friday, divide by 7 and that's my average. Point is, you won't eat the exact same amount of calories every day.

That said, we all have days where we don't eat much, as long as it's not too often, you should be fine. If you are still actively losing, son't do it too often, because "starvation mode" is real and you can hampre your weight loss by getting too few calories too often.

Pat
  • itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist laid into me at my 6mo appointment for not eating enough (I was eating around 600 cal a day, they wanted at least 800 but preferably 1000). 2 reasons -

1. Still need certain baseline nutrition to survive even if burning fat is carrying me for my energy
    2. It's good practice for the future as my body adapts to the sleeve and the hunger returns

I kinda think #2 is the more important as you can out eat (or out drink) any surgery tool and I think anyone needing WLS is in much more danger of future overeating than they are of chronic undereating. I certainly think I qualify
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    On days when I don't feel like eating, I try to make sure I get a couple protein supplements in. At least I know I'm getting my most basic need met.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You have to get in your protein. 60 o 80 grams a day. After that, it's up to you. well, it's all up to you. You don't have to eat at all, but then you'll starve. Food is like those vitamins. You need it to remain in good health. Whether or not you take it is up to you.