Let's revive this group! :)

Options
I'm on a break from dog showing while we try to finish our move from Minnesota to Arizona, so I want to use this time to get healthy enough to show our dog(s) by the time they get down here. We currenty have a Brittany who's only about half way to his championship, and showing him means a lot of fast running...not easy when you need to lose ~100 lbs and have heel spurs and achilles tendonitis. And I can't say anything publicly yet, but there's a chance my next show dog may be cooking as we speak.....will have to wait another week to find out if the breeding took, then have to keep fingers crossed that there's a show prospect boy of the right color in the mix. :) If it all works out, I'll then also have a table-shown dog (think bending/lifting) that requires a lot of grooming (again, bending/lifting), so I'm working on my upper body pain issues as we speak in physical therapy. Exciting times coming up, "should" be enough motivation to get to work, yes????? :happy:

Replies

• lemmamari
    lemmamari Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of fun! I am working on some pups right now, it is very painful for me to show but I give it my all. I have realized I have to limit myself how much I do because of my back and knee issues but I hope losing weight plus PT will help matters.
  • usafmomx2
    usafmomx2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really hope it helps you! I have a good friend who used to weigh the same as me, same height, and had the same foot/ankle issues. She lost 100 pounds and now works as a professional trainer, runs, and hiked the Grand Canyon. Gives me hope that losing the weight will buy me a few active years before I get really old! ;) LOL (Turned 52 last week.)
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm with you... it is so much easier to keep up with the dogs when you don't feel like a sack of potatoes on wobble!

I have a 10 year old English springer - spaniels are great!

I also have two labradoodles who help at puppy training and are in the Display Team that goes round events and charity fairs to showcase how ordinary pets can be obedient, can do agility for fun and have a go at treiball.

On Sunday our dog training centre is running a fun day to raise money for the GSP Rescue - the founder dog of the Display Team is now retired at the age of 13 with a heart problem - so we are honouring all his work by our day to raise money for his breed. I'll post after it to let you know how it went. It's our last event of the year.

We will spend the winter revising our choreography for next year's displays!
  • usafmomx2
    Options
    MA_B how did your fun day go? I love dog fun day events! Many years ago I took one of my dogs to an event that let you try out several performance events....agility, rally, etc. We had a blast! :)
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's fun day went very well - the weather was fantastic - polo shirts in October - unheard of! Also it meant that some of our activities could take place outdoors which was great. We did a fun dog show in the morning - best trick, best rescue story that sort of thing, with adult agility and puppy agility courses, a steeplechase (all running all day) and then once the 'show ring' was vacated there was treiball training, obedience workshops (most people opted for the walking without pulling on the lead workshop!). We had various stalls, loads of cakes and fed the 5 thousand! (well 40+ dogs and their owners!). Lots of waggy tails and tongues lolling and I think everyone enjoyed themselves too!

There are photos on our facebook page 'pads dog training centre' with a balloon picture.

The day raised over £500, which was fantastic.

As someone said - it was lovely to spend the day with like minded people who were passionate about their dogs!

We now have been invited to do one more event weather permitting in November - a Christmas Fayre at the local high school we'll be out on the tennis courts with the PADS Display Team!

Maryann in a very cold, windy and wet Stafford UK (what a difference a day makes weather-wise!)
  • usafmomx2
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome day! :) I wish I could have been there for that "stop pulling" obedience training....all of our dogs do that, no matter what training schemes I try. I know it's me and not them...I need to be more consistent.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I wish it was wet and cold here! We are experiencing a major drought in California. Why you should care: you will probably eat fruit and veggies from California today. Pray for rain!

I have a just barely two-year old Border Collie. Guess what I do? yup. When I retire I want to travel the country and do USDAA agility trials. No ambitions for international competition unless you mean Canada, lol. I used to show Labs in the breed ring and I think I am a pretty good show handler. I once beat Pluis Davern to BOW. But I am firmly in the performance world now. I just adore BCs. I love the intelligence, sensitivity, and drive.
  • hemigirl1
    hemigirl1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am just getting started back in the ring with the dogs after a break to have my little girls. I hope to be hitting the conformation right and if I get my big guy ready Obedience and Rally this summer as well as possibly fit a litter in there some time. I want to get in shape so I am not puffing and panting trying to keep up to my dogs.