Found the Perfect Recipe Site

Options
I found the greatest recipe site. You can search for recipes based on calories and nutrients. It has a slide for calories, carbs, fat, sodium, cholestrol, protein, and fiber. You slide the slide over and set a goal. Like I looked up "Less than 500 calories" with protein and fiber both at 20 grams. Had some great recipes. Go to myrecipes.com Near the top next to the search window you will also see the options to search by ingredients or search by nutrition. You don't have to "name" what you want to cook, you can just pick the parameters.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I found the greatest recipe site. You can search for recipes based on calories and nutrients. It has a slide for calories, carbs, fat, sodium, cholestrol, protein, and fiber. You slide the slide over and set a goal. Like I looked up "Less than 500 calories" with protein and fiber both at 20 grams. Had some great recipes. Go to myrecipes.com Near the top next to the search window you will also see the options to search by ingredients or search by nutrition. You don't have to "name" what you want to cook, you can just pick the parameters.

Interesting, I never noticed that and I use that web site a lot. Guess I wasn't looking for the tools, just the recipes :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for pointing that out!
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    :heart: Thank You Charlie that is a great idea!!! I will have to try that tomorrow.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, very helpful site for meal planning!
  • Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I found the recipe site. Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Bumping up, good site for newbies and those tired of the same old recipes.
  • moxie_me
    Options
    That sounds useful. Thanks for sharing.
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well what IS this recipe site and where is it?
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    myrecipes.com
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Bumping up, good site for newbies and those tired of the same old recipes.
    Thank you for bumping this
  • not2old2move
    not2old2move Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I checked it out and joined. I think it will be a good place to find recipes according to my nutritional needs. Thanks for the info Charlie.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Here's a new site that my phone alerted me to: Edamam. You can search by dietary preferences such as balanced. high fiber, and so on. I've seen several good recipes on it, and they all list calorie count per serving. A person can also add her own recipes to the site.
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thanks Charlie. I had to admit, my greatest weakness when it comes to developing a good program is that I HATE logging. I just plain get bored with it quickly and fall off that wagon. I used to have the same problem with weight watchers, I hated going to meetings! Well at present I am in the process of taking all of our favorite meals (dh and mine I meal) and figuring out how to lighten them. I reworked two of our favorites last week and we loved them! This site could prove very helpful.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Bump for the newbies :)
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Bumping again for the newbies.

Oh I'll add another helpful website:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/

Lots of healthy ones there. I was looking for high fiber dishes and boy, did they have them. The search feature is very good.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Speaking of recipes, this weekend I made a squash soup that was super easy and super delicious AND pretty low in carbs (about 19 per serving). Counts shown are:
    (calories / total fat - sat. fat / sodium / carbs / fiber / sugar / protein) [Glycemic Load]

Mxchana's Butternut Squash Soup

Serves 5 @ 226 g per serving

~ 2½ cups water (0) which will cook away as the soup cooks
    600 g butternut squash, cut up (270 / 0 / 24 S / 72 / 12 / 12 / 6) [GL 24]
    100 g chopped onion (40 / 0 / 4 S / 9 / 2 / 4 / 1) [GL 3]
    1 tbsp. Vogue vegetarian chicken-style base (45 /1.5 – 0 /588 S / 6 / 0 / 0 / 3)[GL3]

Once above is cooked down to the point water is gone, add:

2 cups Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk* (60 / 5 – 0 / 360 S / 2 / 2 / 0 / 2)[GL 2]
    1 tsp. turmeric (7 / 0 / 1 S / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0) [GL 0]
    1 tsp. ground allspice (5 / 0 / 1 S / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0) [GL 0]
    1 tsp. cinnamon (6.35 / 0 / .35 S / 2 / 1.35 / 0 / 0) [GL .35]
    a dash of black pepper (or even better, white pepper, if you have it)

TOTAL RECIPE: (433.35 / 6.5 – 0 / 978.35 S / 93 / 17.35 / 16 / 12) [GL 32.35]
    Recipe Weight: 1128 g ... makes 5 servings

PER 226 g SERVING: (87 / 1.3 – 0 / 196 S / 18.6 / 3.5 / 3.2 / 2.4) [GL 6.5]

** Could substitute soy or coconut milk if nut allergies are a problem. Can use either Vanilla or Original Unsweetened Almond Milk; I used original.

NOTE: I always the weigh the total recipe to determine how big a serving will be. Your serving size may vary if your total batch weighs in differently. And of course, if you can have more carbs, you can have a bigger bowl!

• not2old2move
    not2old2move Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    sounds good
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have to copy all these sites, I quickly get board eating the same things over and over!!
    I also have found some good stuff on SparkPeople.com Interesting site :)
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Thank you, ladies. New sites, and a great Soup recipe.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Bumping for new ideas :)
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Love soups! The hot liquids are really filling and at this time of year the squash soups are wonderful. I make a butternutsquash/granny smith apple/curry soup that is amazing