3 days off keto... no bueno

Options
mrsfancyab
mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
A few days ago I was so frustrated with the side effects of being in ketosis that I decided I wasn't going to do it anymore. I've battled with my weight my whole life. I used to weigh 287, when I graduated high school I lost 100lbs. Decided I was going to go back to what worked then... But 3 days off, and I feel so bloated & sluggish, even with the workouts I've been doing.

So I adjusted my macros. I was doing 20-30 carbs a day. I'm going to do 50 or less now to see if my body better adjusts with the ketosis side effects.

I know I wasn't taking in enough salt, or potassium. Most likely why I had such an issue with chapped lips, cramps, and headaches.

I take multivitamins, and a magnesium supplement, I am going to start watching my sodium intake, and my water.

I feel like I can do the 50 carbs better, that way if I want the occasional banana to help with my potassium issue instead of taking another supplement I can, because I love my bananas. I missed them so. :D

We'll see how this works out now for the next few months...

Thanks for reading my vent session & for all my keto & MFP buddies keeping me encouraged.

Replies

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Oh I miss bananas too! I am pretty impressed with how in tune you are to your body! I think regardless of what you do right now, you're going to feel off. The carb swings are going to feel extreme for your body, so try and stick with it for a few weeks at 50 and hopefully within the second week you'll get that boost and feel well.

I really struggle with exercise while eating low carb, and maybe you do to? I basically stopped running (after spending months doing the C25K and then running a few 5ks each week) and all strenuous workouts but plan on starting again in a few weeks when I feel I have really good control of my eating and can accurately judge my energy levels. Maybe scaling back on the workouts will help?

In any case, I wish you a lot of luck!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Hoping the "new" new change works out better for you. :mrgreen:
  • mrsfancyab
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Hoping the "new" new change works out better for you. :mrgreen:

Thanks! Me too!!
  • mrsfancyab
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    I really struggle with exercise while eating low carb, and maybe you do to? I basically stopped running (after spending months doing the C25K and then running a few 5ks each week) and all strenuous workouts but plan on starting again in a few weeks when I feel I have really good control of my eating and can accurately judge my energy levels. Maybe scaling back on the workouts will help?

In any case, I wish you a lot of luck!!

Thank ya thank ya!

I haven't had issues with workouts with keto. I've been able to get through them fine & had plenty of energy. Didn't notice much of a change. Now that I'm finally getting a good workout routine going, I'll let you know if that changes. lol

Hopefully you can get feeling good with your workouts too
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the dark side!
    Vent away, we all need it sometimes. Just keep in mind that you have to experiment and adjust. 50 carbs may be fine. It may be too much. Don't get discouraged if you have to tweak it some more.
    I had to give up fresh or raw milk. I miss it more than bananas but it is the price I have to pay...

KEEP.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Bananas are one thing that I really miss too!