Caloric intake while on keto?

Options
So I just started LCHF yesterday, and I did a fair amount of research beforehand. However, I am unsure whether I should keep my caloric intake low (like for a traditional caloric-restricting diet, around 1400-1500 calories/day) or if I should aim higher. One calculator I used said 1800 calories/day and one calculator said 1332, which I feel is too low as I am still breastfeeding a toddler. I read lots of posts from people saying that you don't want your fat intake to be too low, but obviously the fat drives the calories in this diet/lifestyle. Does anybody have any advice about this?

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you're doing LCHF.

I don't pay attention to calories. I'm T2D and it's how I keep my BG's under control.
    I have caloric limits but don't adhere to them because I have specific grams of macros I need to meet.

Protein first and foremost (about 100g), then below my carb limit (20 net g) and the rest I fill in with fat (usually btw 100 & 150g).

I still have some fat to lose (about 10#'s) so I'm not focusing on a whole lot other than getting my protein in ;)

I'd say do some more research, and set your macros with your goals in mind.
    Here's a good keto macro calculator if you need one:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Because of PCOS I eat relatively low calorie compared to my BMR/TDEE. I think you should try on the higher end, if anything, and lower your calories by 50 or 100 a day every two weeks until you find the number that is your sweet spot for weight loss. It's okay if you're not correct right away; this is a marathon, not a sprint. Especially considering you are breastfeeding, don't deny your body the calories it needs.

Did you figure out your TDEE? If you find out your TDEE, eat 20% less than that and then figure out your macros from there. So, if your TDEE was 2000, 20% would be 400 and you'd eat 1600 daily. TDEE calculator: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Best of luck! Lots of knowledgeable people here. :smile:
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The standard recommendation here is to use the keto calculator mentioned by hookilau, setting it up for a 20% calorie deficit. That's the best default starting point. I have no idea how breastfeeding would change that though.

Since I'm not qualified to offer advice here I'd just make sure as part of your research you searched through the various reddit keto forums, as I know this is a topic that comes up with some frequency.

Also in addition to the primary keto sub:

http://reddit.com/r/xxketo is mentioned frequently as a great resource for issues specific to women.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    aeb09 wrote: »
    <snip>

Did you figure out your TDEE?

oooo. a new abbreviation for my list! :D:D:)

Total Daily Energy Expenditure!

BMR? ...... Body mass ratio???

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    the number of calories your body would burn if you stayed in bed all day. Sorry for the double post. I just figured out how to edit these things. because i'm slow. there...i said it. lol
  • RockLobster4
    RockLobster4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I have it figured out. I felt some of the keto flu effects yesterday, mostly the mental fogginess and the headache, but I drank a ton of water and salted the heck out of my food, and by the end of the day I was fine. If that is the worst of it, I will consider myself extremely lucky!