Burpee/Broad Jump mile

Options
bregrig
bregrig Posts: 154 Member
Hello Crossfitters,

Has anyone attempted the burpee/broad jump mile with their box? Our owners were talking about it at our WOD the other night and I am seriously considering joining, though probably could only get a lap in or so.

If you have attempted or completed this let met know :drinker:

Replies

• learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hello, not a mile, but 50 yds in a competition was pretty much torture. I would suggest practicing broad jumps prior, the farther you jump, the less burpees you do. Good luck!
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    nice, thanks! I want another challenge to work towards and this seems like it could be it
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is the 2nd time I have heard of these and I just can't picture it in my mind. Do you Broad jump first and then do a burpee or do you dive forward.. land on your chest and continue?
  • jgpea
    jgpea Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    this sounds positively awful!! :) In a good way....of course. OH MY....I just watched a youtube. You do a burpee and then when you come up, you jump forward, then another Burpee....until you complete a mile... ouch..
  • Aviation21
    Options
    this sounds positively awful!! :) In a good way....of course. OH MY....I just watched a youtube. You do a burpee and then when you come up, you jump forward, then another Burpee....until you complete a mile... ouch..

Thanks! I did not imagine that at all! I will look for it on youtube.
  • Aviation21
    Options
    This is what I found on YouTube 2 hours... so glad my Box hasn't heard of this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWVw00zgYhg
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine the level of suck this would involve.

I hate them when we do 25 feet of them to warm up.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oh the variations of the burpee. I have not done the mile (or 5K), but I've done the burpee box jump, burpees over bar (as seen in the Open earlier this year) and the burpee broad jump.

They all suck. So. Very. Much.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    On turf it was positively awful, ended up covered in turfies and black rubber, then had to deadlift 95# 50 times, sprint 50 yrs and do 50 ring rows. by the end i was literally just letting my body fall down forward after the jump.

Worst is if when you broad you fall on your butt. No good... lol
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    On turf it was positively awful, ended up covered in turfies and black rubber, then had to deadlift 95# 50 times, sprint 50 yrs and do 50 ring rows. by the end i was literally just letting my body fall down forward after the jump.

Worst is if when you broad you fall on your butt. No good... lol

IMO this is not good. Your shoulders are taking a hell of a beating when you do that.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Wow, this sounds like the type of sadistic programming our head coach would love. We OFTEN do burpee broad jumps in the warm-ups and almost weekly have to do burpee box jumps or burpee chest-to-bar pull-ups in WODs. Someone hide the video!
  • Aviation21
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sara_m83 wrote: »
    Wow, this sounds like the type of sadistic programming our head coach would love. We OFTEN do burpee broad jumps in the warm-ups and almost weekly have to do burpee box jumps or burpee chest-to-bar pull-ups in WODs. Someone hide the video!

LOL!

I went over to one of the members of my Box that has been there a few years and whispered "have you ever heard of burpee broad-jumps or burpees for distance?" Happily the answer was no and I quickly changed the subject!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    This is a high level of suck indeed.

We did a Burpee Mile for the 1st anniversary of our box. I did 400m = 1 lap of an athletics track. 4 laps for the mile.

True to form (England) it RAINED in mid-summer and there was standing water on the track which we basically had to lie down in. Yum. So we were all soaking wet, covered in grit and sweat. But I would have regretted not doing it.

Trick is to get a good burpee technique. You have to broad jump (or step forward) from where you land in the burpee, so figure out how to get your feet as close to your hands as possible, but be careful not to kick your wrist because I did and it bruised like a b*stard and was painful for a week.