Starting BMI under 40?

Options
1ZenGirl
1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
I am scheduled for VSG surgery on November 11. I'm excited but nervous. My BMI is 38, I'm 242 pounds and 5'7. I expect to lose slow but I don't know the definition of slow. Everyone is different I do understand but wondered if there is anyone with a lower BMI that can tell me their story?

Also it is true you can't lose weight anymore after a year out? If I am a slow loser that sort of worries me!

Thanks.

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I can give you my experience. I entered my program at a BMI of 50.2. They told us as we started the pre-surgery diet that we could not 'lose ourselves out' of the program through successful pre-op dieting. The first weigh in was their start weight.

I managed to get my BMI under 40 just before surgery, and the only question was whether or not *I* wanted to pull the plug. I decided that since I still have nearly 90 pounds to go, I would continue with the surgery.

So if you have started the program, you should be OK. If you haven't yet gotten in with the program you may have some insurance qualification issues.

I can't tell you any of the post surgery stuff, as I am less than a week out.

Good luck!

Rob
  • 1ZenGirl
    Options
    Thank you! I actually got approved via insurance due to my comorbidity. My surgery is scheduled for 11/11 so here's hoping!
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and my BMI was right at 40 before beginning the liquid diet. I am 2 weeks post op and I have lost 28 lbs so far, 18 of which were post op. Unfortunately, I am already experiencing a stall; 4 days of fluctuating up and down a couple lbs. I think this is because I haven't been very good about getting all my protein in everyday. Of course it is different for everyone, but mine is coming off pretty quickly.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hi.

We are in the same boat. I am 5'5" and weighed 228 when I was approved for WLS back in May. I'm not sure of the actual number, but my BMI was well under 40, and I would not have been approved for WLS but for the presence of comorbidities.

I have lost 47 lbs since May 2014. I stalled right after surgery in June. I've had weeks where I've lost more than 10 lbs, and weeks where I've put on a pound. These days, I am losing betwen 1-1.5 lbs per week; sometimes more, sometimes less. It depends on how I am eating and exercising, how stressed out I am, if it is that time of the month, whether I am well hydrated, etc. The biggest cause of a stall - UNDEREATING calories. Yep. Doesn't seem to make sense but there it is.

Really, how well you lose is up to you and how compliant you can be pre- and post-op. It is also up to your body.

You will not lose weight as quickly as others who are more morbidly obese than you. Don't get discouraged. You have less weight to lose than they do. When I started my journey at 228, I had 80 lbs to lose to get to a "normal" BMI, which is my goal. There are people out there who will lose 80 lbs and more pre-op, just by following the pre-op diet.

I had the same concerns as you, and I was discouraged by people who seemed to be out-pacing me. At a post-op check up, my MD suggested that I look at % of excess body weight lost instead of focusing on pounds lost. This is why:

So, with 80 lbs to lose (originally) and 47 lbs actually lost (to date), I have lost 58.75% of my excess body weight. Considering I had WLS in June 2014, I have been told that my rate of weight loss is above average, healthy and sustainable.

Consider, in contrast, a woman who is 5'5" and weighs 328 lbs. She has about 180 lbs to lose to get to a "normal" BMI. She would have to lose 105.75 lbs to have lost 58.75% of her body weight in that same time period.

In short: you can't compare yourself to others. Its all apples to oranges. Also, doing so encourages you to hyperfocus on your weight, which is often not a good thing, and can lead you to feel discouraged and even resentful of others' progress. We all have dark days, but you just push through.

Real, healthy, for-life weight loss take time and effort, no matter where you start or want to end up! When I get impatient, I make it a point to think to myself, "Kate, you didn't get fat in one day." When I get discouraged, I just make sure I am doing what I've been instructed to do (we can all go astray!), and think to myself, "I will get there!!"

Good luck to you! Feel free to friend me.
  • 1ZenGirl
    Options
    Thank you!! You have helped me to put this whole thing in perspective and I will friend you!
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    1ZenGirl wrote: »
    Also it is true you can't lose weight anymore after a year out? If I am a slow loser that sort of worries me!

It is absolutely false.
    You can lose weight anytime. However, weight loss does slow down after the first year. So follow your program and take maximum advantage of the first few months.
    By the way past is not indicative of future. I lost only 20 pounds in the year before surgery, but 123 in the year after and another 15 in the month and a half since my surgiversary. With less weight to lose, your numbers will obviously be less, but wanted to give some hope to a fellow "slow" loser.
  • rpyle111
    Options
    My assumption is that post one year I will be more like a normal person; a sensible caloric deficit will be required to lose weight. That's one of the great things about MFP. The regular forums are chock full of help and advice for those trying to lose through a sensible deficit.
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think slow is relative. I did a lot of research and followed a lot of people who'd had surgery and I STILL had unrealistic expectations of weight loss. We won't lose 10 lbs a week! Most of us won't lose 10 lbs a month. But you will see steady losses month over month that continue long after you would have given up on that weird fad diet you tried again for the 5th time. I'd never lost 50lbs before. Or 75. Or 80. I am 103 lbs down and counting.

As for loss after the first year, that is a myth. The first year is extremely important, but loss after the first year, or second year even happens ALL THE TIME. I am 22 months out and STILL LOSING pounds and inches. Getting smaller by the month.

Hang in there, DO THE WORK, stay positive, celebrate every milestone and enjoy changing your body and your life!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was approved with a bmi of 37 with comorbidities. I'd encourage you not to focus on the speed at which you lose. I was able to lose 90+ pounds slowly and make it to my maintenance zone 9 months in. Now at 1 year, I've decided to take off a few more "vanity pounds" to make an even 100. For me, Slow on purpose paid off as I got to eat more calories than many sleevers allow themselves which set me up for a very livable maintenance calorie goal. Exercise and strength training has raised my metabolism. I don't feel like I live on a diet anymore. I can afford to eat what I like in very small quantities which is a freedom I've never felt like I had before.
  • glyndalin
    glyndalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This was helpful for me, folks. Thanks for sharing. I was at 43 BMI when I started the 6-month supervised diet, and now I'm right at 39. I'm starting my two-week 30-carb diet on Monday with surgery on the 27th. You've helped me have a more realistic view of what to expect weight-loss wise after the surgery. I hope my head and my emotions can keep it straight.
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and was 234 before surgery. I am now 148. I am 9 months post op. I am still losing about 4-6 pounds a month. If you follow your surgeon's advice and do the things you are supposed to you will be successful. For example, no carbonated beverages. It has been 10 months since I had a soda or a beer and I am fine with it. I know I shouldn't have it so I don't. I have between 8-10 pounds to lose til goal which I hope to do before January which is my one year mark.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was approved with a BMI of 35 due to my comorbidities. I think 40 is what they use if you do not have a lot of health problems.
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well good to know Wilrhy, as I have a BMI over 40 with several comorbidities. I have been praying for approval from my insurance, although I'm still not through my pre-surgery monitored weight management, and I will continue to keep working towards that approval!
  • wilrhy
    Options
    My husband has sleep apnea and a 40 BMI--he was turned down by Aetna for surgery. (we are fighting the ins co) He has dropped a bit more weight and is now down to a 38.5 BMI---Based on what I have read on the ins site he should only need a 35 BMI too. His weight went up and down even dieting so the said he was not suited for the surgery. (If we could do this all on our own we would not need the surgery)
  • wilrhy
    Options
    The above post have really, really helped me! I was worried at 8 weeks that i have not lost enough. Now I can see that we all lose at different rates and at times a person that had more to lose will drop weight faster than the people that have a smaller amount of weight to lose. Thank you everyone for helping me sort things out...I was upset because I have been stalling and last night at a weight mgmt meeting I was up 1.4 lbs. ( not water weight) I will continue to be accountable for my food and logging what I eat and just hang in there knowing it might be slow but it will come off. ( I lost 14 the 1st week and then a bit more--then a stall then 5 more then a gain) I am just about 8 weeks PO. I lost a total of 30 lbs. Thanks again, Donna
  • rpyle111
    Options
    Another thing I have learned is that the goal weight selected will impact my thoughts on 'success'. I picked the top end of the BMI scale for 'overweight'. I can't imagine what I will look like at 240, and it is 20 pounds lighter than my lowest adult weight (and I looked pretty darn good). If I had chosen the middle of the 'healthy' BMI range, it would feel so much farther away. When I was over 400, that final number really didn't matter to me, but now as it starts to come into view near the horizon, I think about it more.

Also, I did not even consider the impact of extra skin on that number. If (when) I get to 240, I will likely be lower inside with 15-20 pounds of skin. Not sure how that will work out, but I am prepared to factor it in as I get closer to the number.

Rob
  • wilrhy
    Options
    Great attitude Rob!!!
  • kenziesmom_2000
    kenziesmom_2000 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i agree! do not look at speed and do not compare yourself to anyone else -- everyone is different. i started at 223 for pre op diet, on 6/13/14 i was 217 going into surgery. 5 months out i am at 157 -- thats a total of 66 lbs lost. i lose and avg of 1.5-2 lbs a week now and while that is not what i would consider a rapid loss it is none the less steady and wonderful!!! one thing that helped me keep perspective was the % of weight lost ... i wanted to lose 93 lbs total so at 66 lbs i've lost 70.97% of my excess weight already ... thats HUGE! people that have a lot higher BMI or amount to lose will of course shed pounds quicker, but the % seems to stay about equal. my advice? don't stress, follow and trust the program, and you will do great!
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i agree! do not look at speed and do not compare yourself to anyone else -- everyone is different. i started at 223 for pre op diet, on 6/13/14 i was 217 going into surgery. 5 months out i am at 157 -- thats a total of 66 lbs lost. i lose and avg of 1.5-2 lbs a week now and while that is not what i would consider a rapid loss it is none the less steady and wonderful!!! one thing that helped me keep perspective was the % of weight lost ... i wanted to lose 93 lbs total so at 66 lbs i've lost 70.97% of my excess weight already ... thats HUGE! people that have a lot higher BMI or amount to lose will of course shed pounds quicker, but the % seems to stay about equal. my advice? don't stress, follow and trust the program, and you will do great!

Great advice! Thank you.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was at 235 pounds (I'm 5'6") 37ish bmi at my consult, after the 6 months required Dr assisted weight loss (I gained). I had multiple medicated comorbidities not all under perfect control. Was down to 36ish by surgery a month later. Reached my goal range of 140-150 9 months from surgery. 80 pounds in 9 months, so not super fast, but that was intentional on my part. I wanted to set myself up for a managable metabloism long term and set my calories as high as i could and still lose. Maintained that for 4 months but have decided to lower it to 130-140. Im at 139 today. Seems like that's where my body is trying to go plus I still have a lil spare tire I'd like to see gone. Slow is GOOD. I've never felt like I was "dieting". Never lost hair. Loose fit skin... I have some but it's not as bad as it could have been I guess.