GOT MY DATE!

Options
Yay I am officially scheduled to have the sleeve done on November 18th. I was hoping to have it sooner, however they were completely full. Anyways I am still excited and can't wait to have this wonderful tool to assist me in losing more weight. I have been trying to get some ideas on what I will need to purchase for and after surgery. So if you ladies and gentlemen have any suggestions that would be wonderful!!! :)

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your surgery date!! I purchased all my (chewable) vitamins and my unflavored protein powder from Unjury.com.. I tried the sample pack first --- but I know that others have sampled several different types of protein powder / drinks which is smart because your tastes can change after surgery. I also bought sugar free popsicles and sugar free jello. Wish you well with the surgery!!
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Don't buy much! I bought way too much and now I don't know when I'll ever use it up. I ate quite a few SF jello snack packs during my preop diet, but that was about it besides the required protein shakes. I am 2 weeks post op, and I mostly eat cream soup ( 1 can lasts me about 4 days), and protein shakes. I buy Premier Protein; they have 30 gms each and don't have that protein taste. I typically can only get one a day down and will supplement with isopure. Just make sure you have your vitamins and protein!
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! So excited for you! I can't wait till I can announce this same topic!!
  • swetienancy04
    swetienancy04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good advice I appreciate it so much. I am obsessing over my surgery so I can't wait to have it!
  • glyndalin
    glyndalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm right ahead of you on 10/27. Let's stay in touch and share success stories (because they ARE going to be success stories.)
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    jrnguyen wrote: »
    Don't buy much! I bought way too much and now I don't know when I'll ever use it up. I ate quite a few SF jello snack packs during my preop diet, but that was about it besides the required protein shakes. I am 2 weeks post op, and I mostly eat cream soup ( 1 can lasts me about 4 days), and protein shakes. I buy Premier Protein; they have 30 gms each and don't have that protein taste. I typically can only get one a day down and will supplement with isopure. Just make sure you have your vitamins and protein!

I AGREE! Don't buy a ton of stuff, but DO get samples from different companies-- most makers of protein shakes will send you a sampler package for a nominal fee. Post surgery, you'll need to try some to see what your body will tolerate and what you will like. If you buy a huge tub of something and don't like it post surgery, you've wasted your money.

What you CAN stock up on is your post surgery liquids (soup, juice, popsicles) and vitamins, including Biotin!

Congrats on getting your surgery date! Hang on for the ride. :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 years out and I agree, don't buy much beyond the vitamins and a good unflavored protein powder. I found right after surgery I couldn't handle the thick/sweet Unjury shakes they had me drinking in the hospital. Once home, I lived on a high protein beef or chicken broth and Isopure Zero flavored protein water. I must have been 2 weeks or more out from surgery before I could stomach the protein shakes again. I'm more of a savory person, so that could have been part of the issue. Anyway, good luck with everything and I look forward to watching your success.

Pat
  • radcas11
    radcas11 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go out and buy a medical binder. It keeps you wrapped tight after surgery which made me feel so much better. I didn't feel like I had to hold my stomach all the time.
  • tedrapaige
    tedrapaige Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm going in on 11 November. So nervous!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your date!! It'll come and go before you know it!

Don't go too overboard on purchases. Tastes change. Getting your chewable vitamins is great advice! Otherwise, depending on your surgeon's plan I personally didn't buy more than I would need for a week. I'm glad I did this, too, as I got sick of the shakes I initially bought.
  • NskyDr
    NskyDr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I am scheduled to have mine on Thur Oct 16th. I am extremely nervous and excited at the same time. I read that someone said something about the wrap for the stomach area where would you find something like this?
  • swetienancy04
    swetienancy04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great ideas guys I definitely have a better idea of what things I need to purchase before surgery. I am kinda nervous but I am more excited then anything to finally get rid of this weight plus I have this daydream that I am going to be like Baywatch when I am done losing weight! :wink:
  • radcas11
    Options
    I bought my binder at a medical supply store where they sell things like crutches and wheel chairs. I found some on Wal-Mart's website as well. You might be able to find one in a big chain pharmacy like CVS or Walgreen's.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    radcas11 wrote: »
    I bought my binder at a medical supply store where they sell things like crutches and wheel chairs. I found some on Wal-Mart's website as well. You might be able to find one in a big chain pharmacy like CVS or Walgreen's.
    I bought 1 on the advise of Radcas11 and wore it last night, it was super comfy!
    I had my surgery on the 16th and was released last night around 8.
    Most of my pain was in the same day of my surgery but it subsided by later Fri.
    After Id done my leak test where they have you drink this foul stuff so x-ray can detect that theres no holes anywhere, I went back to find a tray waiting for me.
    It didn't take much and I was soon vomiting.
    Since coming home, Ive been having dry heaves w/ not much coming out simply because not much is in there.
    I was surprised when the surgeon released me because Id been vomiting so much while I was there, I thought he would make me stay till food stayed down but he didn't!
    It was nice to get back to my own bed.

• radcas11
    Options
    I'm so glad it worked for you! Mine saved me!