New to this and needing help to understand it all

Options
Hi all. I joined this group to help me with weightloss. In a nutshell, I've been trying to lose 20-30 lbs for over 8 years now. Absolutely every method I've tried has failed.
I've tried eating at 1200 calories.
I've tried eating at 1500 calories.
I've tried working out 3 times a week for half an hour each time. Nothing.
I've tried working out 5x a week for an hour each time. Nothing.
I've tried all cardio, no strength.
I've tried some cardio, more strength.
I'd try standing on my head but I really can't do that too well anyways.
I seriously need ideas.
Currently, I am eating at 1300 calories but eat my exercise points when I get them, so I'm around 1500 - 1600 a day. My macronutrient profile is 40 protein/30 fat/30 carbs
I am at the gym 4-5 times a week. I do 20-30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training.
I drink 4-6 glasses of water a day.
In the three months that I have tried THIS method, I haven't gained or lost a pound, haven't gained or lost an inch anywhere and my Body Fat has gone up 2 points.
Yup, any advice will help!!

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura! Welcome to EM2WL - so glad you found the group! :)

So, just from what you wrote above, I can assure you that you're simply not eating enough calories for your activity level. If you would increase your calories, I bet you would drop a few pounds and then start having some consistent losses. Please use this link below to go to the website we recommend for calculating your calorie needs.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

We recommend using no more than a 15% deficit for weight loss. From all the activity you listed above, it sounds like you would at least fall into 5-6 hour activity level. You will see that you need to eat quite a bit more for your activity level. Another thing that might help is actually decreasing some of your cardio and focusing on the strength training - for example: 3 days of strength, 2 days of short cardio sessions - and 2 full days of rest. Too much exercise, especially cardio, combined with too little calorie intake really puts a lot of stress on the body - this can cause weight loss/inches lost to stall completely. I had this happen personally for years as well and it is so frustrating...I know!! Increasing my calories was the key to my weight loss. The strength training is great - so keep all of that. Also, we suggest macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.

Feel free to check out the main EM2WL website at www.em2wl.com for more forums and support as well! :) Post back with any other questions you have and be sure to let us know how you do! Welcome! Oh, and you can add me for support here on mfp as well!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    ^^ Great advice^^
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I couldn't help but notice no where did you touch on accuracy or methods of how you logged how much you ate.
    Are all those eating levels based on weighing your foods?
    Calories is per gram, not per cup or spoonful.

And is the cardio and strength training actually an effort for you?
    Merely ask because I've seen otherwise in the gym. It's easy to do maintenance level exercise, meaning it burns some extra calories, but it requires no changes by the body to improve.
    Or to the other extreme, every workout is hard as can be day after day, with no time for recovery - which takes longer in a diet. That eventually turns each workout in to a mediocre one because body is so unrecovered it can't do anything hard, even though it may feel like you are pushing as hard as possible. That's just extra stress as Jen mentions, not good for a healthy body.