Pre-op Diet

Options
NskyDr
NskyDr Posts: 5 Member
I am new to this site and this group. I have been reading your stories and motivational talks and I look forward to learning from you all as well as gaining more support for my surgery. Thank you all in advance for your help.

I am 5'2" 255lbs and 41 years old. My surgery was scheduled for Tue Oct 7th but I was to sick to have the surgery so now it is scheduled for Thur Oct. 16th. I did the 10 day pre-op diet before the first date and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't quit smoking but the diet wasn't that hard to complete. However I have since the first date quit smoking and am 4 days smoke free. Now this 10 day diet isn't as easy as the first one and I have cheated almost everyday. I have only been eating tilapia and shrimp so that isn't too bad.
I looked online and there are so many different pre-op diets depending on the doctor that I am so confused.
My questions would be if you cheated did it cause any complications in your surgery? If you cheated how did you cheat? Also does anyone have any ideas on how to keep from cheating because I feel like I am starving and I fear I will cheat again.

Replies

• Sleevarilla
    Sleevarilla Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I did not cheat. I was told to follow a specific diet and I did what I was told to do. I knew that having surgery would not take away my personal accountability and that I would always be faced with telling myself "no", even after surgery. Besides, I wanted to do what the doctor told me to do to make surgery as safe as possible. I had incredible hunger every day until 2 days before surgery (I had a 14 day pre-op diet). I got through one hour. Then I got through the next hour. I kept my eyes on the end goal, I reminded myself that this was just 2 weeks of my life and I had to do this to get where I wanted to be.

I understand that not everyone shares my ideas on commitment and discipline. I'm sure that there will be many posts after mine that will tell you that you'll be fine, and I hope you are. I would, however, let your surgeon know what's happened. He or she will be going into your abdomen and they need to know what to expect.

I wish I could tell you an easy way to get through this, but there isn't an easy way. It's damn difficult. You just have to tell yourself no and mean it.
  • tlogesi
    tlogesi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My surgeon said that with no nicotine in my system, I will have a better chance of surviving the operation, besides that, he does not want to cure me of the #2 reason for death in the US, if I continue to engage in the #1 cause of death in the US. (not sure about those stats, but that's what he said).

Getting in shape, eating right, not smoking (or chewing, or nicotine gum), preparing mentally, these are all things I know the surgeon is going to require. So I'm doing them now, it will help me survive the surgery. If I had been doing them all along, I wouldn't need the surgery, but that ship sailed long ago.

I don't want to die from something directly related to morbid obesity, including this surgery.

So I'm going to do what I think the surgeon is going to ask me to do to prepare for the surgery, until he actually tells me what he want's me to do to prepare, then I'll do exactly as he suggests.
  • NskyDr
    NskyDr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tried very hard to quit smoking up to and including speaking with my doctor about getting medication. However my insurance company won't cover the chantix which is all but 300.00. I couldn't afford it so I had to quit on my own which I couldn't do. I got down to 3-5 cigs a day but then something dramatic happened in my life and boom I was back up again. The first 10 day diet I stuck with and I'm not sure why I can't stick to the second 10 day but I will speak to my surgeon about it when I go for surgery because I don't want anything to happen to me while I'm on the table. Thank you all for your advice I appreciate it.