checking in

Options
Hi folks , I am starting Atkins tomorrow, I have 65 pounds I wish to lose.

Replies

• BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    hi ya'll :) I'm Betty from Georgia. I'm 50yrs old, 5'4", and 306lbs today after starting here in mid July at 369lbs. That's a 63lbs loss thanks to my 20 carbs a day lifestyle and exercising for the first time in my life. I do have a lapband, but had actually regained weight with it over the years and then hit a standstill for many years. It took this low carb lifestyle to reawaken my metabolism and to shake my body up for more weight loss again. I do truly love being a low carber! I've gathered many recipes and tweaked them to my needs and lifestyle. Some can be found on the community message boards if you search "Low Carb Recipes". I would love to gather new friendships with my "carbkin" here and share recipes and ideas :)
  • RicBfat
    Options
    thnx and congrats on the 63lbs :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I do keto and I also do 20g. I try to keep my cals around 1500 (daily average). I've lost 53lbs since June 1st. My best tips for you are: Be consistent. Be patient. Measure yourself regularly for when the scale is being a jerk. And lean on us when you need it.
    Good Luck!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Atkins works if you work the plan and educate yourself. I personally don't agree with the Atkins processed foods, but as a whole the plan is solid. Good luck!
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    thanks, guys! I'm following no diet in particular now...just paying extremely close attention to carb counts and portion size. I've cut out all breads, grain, pastas, potatoes, sugar, sodas, caffeine, fruits for now since so high in carbs and my allowance is limited right now, and extreme limits on my veggies especially beans!!! My doctor and dietician put me on this 20 carbs a day lifestyle in prep for a future Roux-en-Y procedure once I have my 20yr old lapband removed due to complications. The purpose is to keep me in ketosis for surgery date so that my liver will be smaller for maneuverability during the surgical process. Also with this RNY gastric surgery the esophagus will eventually be directly connected to the small intestine rendering the actual null and void. It will sit disconnected within my body. The doctor tells me the small intestine cannot carbs properly (most especially sugar) due to know stomach acids to break it all down anymore). It will serve me best to cut out as many carbs as possible from my daily lifestyle before that surgery date gets here. I've taken his heed and since July have been practicing this 20 carbs a day lifestyle. I enjoy it very much and do not feel deprived on anything. I find healthy alternatives to almost everything from my former diet. That which I can't find, I said goodbye to. I tend to cook more now than ever and I visit my vegetable stand and meat and dairy department in the grocery store every week!! I'm full every moment of the day after enjoying my doctor required 3 meals with no snacking. I drink plenty of water and get my exercise in 5 days a week. Being a low carber has been a wonderful experience for me and I intend to keep this as my lifestyle!!