Med adjustment

Options
WrenPat60
WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
This summer, my doctor is trying to adjust my Levo medicine. She says it is still too high. It has gone from 125 mcg to 100 mcg to 88 mcg currently. I will be retested in four more weeks. I am wondering how low you can go! I have Hurthle cell thyroid cancer. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That's the lowest I've seen. How are you feeling? My meds are at 112 mg, but one day a week I only take half and that seems to have gotten me where my endo wanted me.
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I get my blood test in another couple of weeks. I feel good and am sleeping better. My blood pressure is way normal now. Sorry it took so long to answer. My computer crashed and hopefully will be up again soon. I will let you know the results. Take care.
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    Well, I went Nov 3 for the blood test. I am now waiting for the results!
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Well, considering how good you feel, I hope your doctor is able to leave the dosage where it is!
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    Well, the lab results came in and she lowered it to 75 mcg from 88 mcg. She says I am still a little hyper. I was suppose to have a thyroid ultrasound in January but now she wants to redo the blood test, adding a thyroglobulin test to the T3 and T4 tests. Depending on the results of those labs, she will let me know if I need the ultrasound in January. She said that I may be able to wait and have a yearly thyroid u/s in July. It is wonderful if I don't need the ultrasound but at the same time, a six month ultrasound is what is recommended by the Cancer society. What do you think?
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Waiting a year for an ultrasound? No, that doesn't sound right. They're standard, every six months for five years. Especially since 30% of thyroid cancer patients have a reoccurance (I did!) In fact, my endo thought it was important to not only have an ultrasound every six months, but they had me go to a different facility for the latest, just in case. And sure enough, they found what the previous people had missed.

I had all the blood tests too and nothing was out of the ordinary. I even had that one test where they suppress the medications that's supposed to detect the thyroid cancer and that was within the "normal" range. The cancer's there though, ID'd in the ultrasound and confirmed with a fine needle aspiration.

Sounds like your endo is taking the exact opposite approach that mine is!
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback. I will keep this in mind when I see her again. My problem is my insurance is messing me up. With this new insurance program, my insurance guy recommended one with a lower deductible which includes my doctor when I am home but I am finding that being a "snowbird" in the winter has it's complications. The state in live in the winter wants me to be seen by an "in state" doctor and my referral from my home state doctor is void. I need to find an endo down here for when I am here again.

I had a really good one but now my insurance plan doesn't include her. This is all so confusing! Thanks for letting me vent!