1 week in ... 42kg back squat

Options
toffee2013
toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
I'm on my fourth WOD and loving it! I'm just trying to wrap my head around numbers. It's nice to have goals but hard to set them when I'm unsure what I should be aiming for ( Bodyweight to weight etc) I have no clue. I'm doing 42 kg to full depth for back squat. My weight is 160 lbs ... Reps: 5. Is this a good starting point for 1 week in? I know i shouldn't be focusing on anything else but form at the moment but would just be nice to know. I'm crap with numbers.

Replies

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great starting point! Actually, any starting point is good. :-)

Working toward your body weight in a back squat with perfect form is a great goal. Then you can move from there. But much better to hit full depth/mobility with proper breathing and body positioning at a lower weight than to lose it at a higher, for sure.

When I started, my goal was a bodyweight squat, a 95lb clean&jerk, 5 double unders, 1 handstand push up (written on my goal sheet). Now I'm at an 185lb squat, 135lb clean (125lb jerk), 15DU, and 10+handstand pushups. Today I did my first WOD with Rx'd toes to bar. Set your goals--and don't worry about others. That's the hardest part for me.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    I think that's a great starting point! Actually, any starting point is good. :-)

Working toward your body weight in a back squat with perfect form is a great goal. Then you can move from there. But much better to hit full depth/mobility with proper breathing and body positioning at a lower weight than to lose it at a higher, for sure.

When I started, my goal was a bodyweight squat, a 95lb clean&jerk, 5 double unders, 1 handstand push up (written on my goal sheet). Now I'm at an 185lb squat, 135lb clean (125lb jerk), 15DU, and 10+handstand pushups. Today I did my first WOD with Rx'd toes to bar. Set your goals--and don't worry about others. That's the hardest part for me.

Thanks for replying. Your doing very well! Yeah, I've just started getting into my own zone now and not caring too much about others. My coach said he is impressed with what I can do at this stage. He said I've made it easier for him because my form is there. That's not to say he isn't' whipping my *kitten* because he is! I'm going to start setting some realistic goals I think.
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That's all you can do! Awesome! Once you get the form, the strength and stamina will come. Sounds like you have good coaches. :-)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    A lot of squatting is not just pure strength but developing core stability, ankle/back/hip mobility, etc. as well as learning to breathe properly. You are starting in a great spot and you'll surprise yourself as your technique improves. Also, you are in the newbie gain phase so you will shock yourself with how quickly you make gains if you do squats regularly. Keep up the good work!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    A lot of squatting is not just pure strength but developing core stability, ankle/back/hip mobility, etc. as well as learning to breathe properly. You are starting in a great spot and you'll surprise yourself as your technique improves. Also, you are in the newbie gain phase so you will shock yourself with how quickly you make gains if you do squats regularly. Keep up the good work!

This. My back squat has improved tremendously through Crossfit and my legs are not noticably different. My core and trunk muscles are MUCH stronger though, and that added mobility and focus on proper depth had led to considerable strength gains.

And my core still has a very long way to go. I can only hold a plank for about a minute and a half.
  • toffee2013
    Options

Yes totally. I've already noticed my biceps getting bigger! I was already doing some lifting before crossfit but nothing like on this level. The great thing about joining crossfit is that I know my body will change and I know I will develop a range of skills. Can't wait.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    Third week - 50 kg on the back squat now. Did my 1 rep max on the clean & snatch yesterday, got 47 and a half for the snatch and 32 and a half for the clean :) Did my first handstand against the wall today... never done one in my life!! Can't imagine doing it without the wall!
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sounds great to me!
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Toffee 2013, you and I are having a very similar journey (probably like all newbies!). I did 50kg back squat this week and 40kg front squat. I could have gone heavier with the back squat, though not the front squat. And I love handstands! I can do them on the wall easily and am starting to be able to come off the wall and hold it for a few seconds. They are loads of fun. This was week 7 for me and I LOVE it!!!
  • toffee2013
    Options
    emma7437 wrote: »
    Toffee 2013, you and I are having a very similar journey (probably like all newbies!). I did 50kg back squat this week and 40kg front squat. I could have gone heavier with the back squat, though not the front squat. And I love handstands! I can do them on the wall easily and am starting to be able to come off the wall and hold it for a few seconds. They are loads of fun. This was week 7 for me and I LOVE it!!!

I just added you. I was doing handstand push ups yesterday... My god! I didn't get full range of motion but I was going down a little bit and then pushing myself up. It's a start. Yeah I'm going to work on moving away from the wall this week. I can't even imagine me kipping or doing the walking push ups!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    toffee2013 wrote: »
    Third week - 50 kg on the back squat now. Did my 1 rep max on the clean & snatch yesterday, got 47 and a half for the snatch and 32 and a half for the clean :) Did my first handstand against the wall today... never done one in my life!! Can't imagine doing it without the wall!

So you snatch more than you clean? I predict that won't last long at all :)

I still haven't mastered handstands. That is coming soon.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    Is it usually the other way round then? I always do things back to front ha.