Short of Breath

Options
ischmelle
ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
Hi ladies,
Do any of you have any tips for dealing with shortness of breath when you are exercising? I am about 9 weeks and I get winded very easily when I try to work out. I looked online and it looks like it is pretty normal due to the bodies increased need for oxygen, but it makes it tough to work out. It isn't severe, just more annoying than anything. :smile:

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I remember that in my first trimester. I think it started around week 6 for me. It's normal because your body is pumping a lot of extra blood at the moment. You just need to take more rests and slow it down during exercise. I found I started feeling physically better in second trimester almost immediately after week 13, though I still get winded walking up a flight of stairs!
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes, like Sara, it was very hard for me during the first tri. I was also exhausted and ended up not working out much. I'm 13 weeks now and having more energy but I do get shortness of breath more quickly/often than before.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I make sure Im taking deep breaths in and letting them out slowly as Im performing the exercise and I rest a little longer inbetween sets when I need to.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It was definitely worse for me in the first trimester too, better now for the past month or so (almost at 20 weeks) but still get winded walking up stairs. I took more breaks, paused the dvd if I needed too and and tried to be careful.