This is going to annoy me

FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
I can't figure out how to make the groups show up on the page with the rest of the forums, like it used to be. This wouldn't be the end of the world if the group page showed the most recent discussion title, but it doesn't. That means there's no easy way to tell, at a glance, when there's new content.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Yeah, I noticed that, too. The "My Discussions" seems to only be threads started by me, and I'm not entirely sure that it includes posts in groups. I don't envy the MFP crew right now. I expect a lot of backlash for this for a while...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
    What. Have. They. DONE!
    How am I supposed to keep up with my threads now? Poo.
  • Dragonwolf
    On the upside, active external links in the forums, now! \o/
  • baconslave
    True. FYI, if you want to follow a thread, either click the star beside it in each forum or at the top of the thread's page. I just figured that out. :lol:
  • Dragonwolf
    baconslave wrote: »
    True. FYI, if you want to follow a thread, either click the star beside it in each forum or at the top of the thread's page. I just figured that out. :lol:

I think that's only half working. My "bookmarks" thing at the top of the page doesn't have the threads I've bookmarked already. :\
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    This sucks!!! I hate that I have to go searching for you guys.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Me too. I think it will cut my interest in the forums in future. All I have figured out is that you have to click on Community, then Groups, then click on each one of your groups to see what is happening. I want them back on the main Community page.

• kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    not liking this either
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I don't care for it either.
  • I don't mind clicking on "Group", but I hate the fact that it doesn't show a snipit of the latest thread!!!!! Not really impressed with the changes!!!!! :s
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Yes. The stupid, it burns. They've got a post up on the help pages re: changes to discussions, different phases, bear with them, but that doesn't make it better.
  • Dragonwolf
    oyadancing wrote: »
    Yes. The stupid, it burns. They've got a post up on the help pages re: changes to discussions, different phases, bear with them, but that doesn't make it better.

Someone on my Twitter feed had a good saying/quote thing -- UI is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not very good.

That said, at least now, I'm less likely to look at the posts on the main forums. That's good, because they're usually a train wreck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Someone on my Twitter feed had a good saying/quote thing -- UI is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not very good.

That said, at least now, I'm less likely to look at the posts on the main forums. That's good, because they're usually a train wreck.

That's spot on. The thing that bugs the most is you don't know if there's new posts in a group til you enter the group!
  • memelizzy
    memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
    Frob, glad you ask the question! I tried to get on the low carb forums the other day and thought something was wrong with my computer :# I decided to try it again tonight and clicked on my "groups" and then on the low carb groups (I know! I'm a bit dense when it comes to tech!!) and bwelah! here you guys are. What a relief, all I was seeing was calorie counting forums-eek! it made me shudder!!
  • baconslave

That's spot on. The thing that bugs the most is you don't know if there's new posts in a group til you enter the group!

:grimacing: That drives me UP. THE. WALL.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited October 2014
    baconslave wrote: »

:grimacing: That drives me UP. THE. WALL.
    BS;

Couldn't agree more.

But.....despite the "bugs" and feature changes/omissions/etc, MFP really does deserve credit for pulling off a major software change in a timely manner and with, relatively few "hiccups". Folks will always have "issues" with changes, especially when they are familiar with the old and the new requires a learning curve.

Whether it's an "upgrade" or not and whether any one individual considers the changes to be beneficial or not worth the effort is each person's call and under the best of circumstances likely to be something close to a 50/50 split.

I wouldn't argue that the initial response is probably well below that 50% but it does appear that they are at least listening, aware of the shortcomings, and have an actual plan to bring additional features online in a scheduled fashion.

I'm the furthest from a "company man" that one can possibly get but at the same time recognize the magnitude of the undertaking and all things considered they did a much better job of making the switch than many others.

According to the most recent update,
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10004455/forum-updates#latest

they are aware of the bookmarks/notifications issues, and,
    the "my groups, my discussions" issue is "in the works".

I don't use the mobile version so not sure of the impact there but as far as the desktop side goes, fixing the above "should" alleviate many of the concerns - we'll just have to wait and see and hope it happens sooner rather than later.

They really did drop the ball (IMO) on informing new users and the tech "challenged" on making the transition though (especially as it relates to the Groups (but groups have always been viewed as something of a stepchild far as I can tell).

Absolutely no excuse for the difficulty many encountered finding their groups after the switch or using the new "features". A quick look at group attendance, even to date, should have told them something was wrong and even if they didn't anticipate it, it's never too late to post a FAQ or simple links to get folks back - sooner would have been better.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I moderated a large forum that went through an overhaul. It's a big task, and the comments can be brutal. That said, I hope they figure out how to smooth out some of these rough edges quickly. This is frustrating.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I don't think they did a bad job at all with the conversion. I like the new system a lot. It's just the missing groups that drives me crazy.

I do like that the spam reduction is working. Although, it has moved to the groups (go look through the newest groups sometime and you'll see it). I'm not sure how to report a group itself as spam.