Breading For Frying? Need Some Tips

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I tried frying some chicken livers and gizzards in both Almond & Flax seed flour. I basically whipped an egg (with a little heavy whipping cream), dipped meat in egg, rolled in flax seed, or almond flower, put in a frying pan of coconut oil. It all went well, and it tasted GREAT (both of them), but, both flours didn't stick very well to the meat. :\ Probably 75% fell off. :'( I did scoop it out and eat it though. :) I think the meat would actually taste better than wheat flour breaded chicken ~ if I could get it to stay on.

I bought some Bob's Red Mill Xanthan gum flour. Is that something to mix in with the almond/flax flour to help it stick? If so, how much/ratio?

Or what am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I tried frying some chicken livers and gizzards in both Almond & Flax seed flour. I basically whipped an egg (with a little heavy whipping cream), dipped meat in egg, rolled in flax seed, or almond flower, put in a frying pan of coconut oil. It all went well, and it tasted GREAT (both of them), but, both flours didn't stick very well to the meat. :\ Probably 75% fell off. :'( I did scoop it out and eat it though. :) I think the meat would actually taste better than wheat flour breaded chicken ~ if I could get it to stay on.

I bought some Bob's Red Mill Xanthan gum flour. Is that something to mix in with the almond/flax flour to help it stick? If so, how much/ratio?

Or what am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Dan;

Haven't tried it yet (will soon), so TIFWIW but this link seems to address the situation pretty well.
    paleocomfortfoods.com/in-the-kitchen/fried-chicken-worth-a-cover-shot/http://

I'm guessing it's the number of eggs and the double dipping that makes the difference.

Scroll down to the third or fourth comment for the detail and let me know how it works - thanks!

• saveferris2014
    saveferris2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A lot of keto'ers use crushed up pork rinds instead of panko. I have not tried, but you could dust meat in almond flour, then 1 beaten egg with salt and pepper, then roll in pork rinds or pork rinds and shredded parmesan cheese.
  • RockLobster4
    RockLobster4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We've been using pork rinds instead of bread crumbs/panko and it is delicious! It adds protein and fat to your meal and my non-keto husband said he can't taste the difference.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A lot of keto'ers use crushed up pork rinds instead of panko. I have not tried, but you could dust meat in almond flour, then 1 beaten egg with salt and pepper, then roll in pork rinds or pork rinds and shredded parmesan cheese.

i use this and then bake in the oven. It's good :)
  • AZ8683
    AZ8683 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was just telling my husband what a tragedy it is that I can finally eat some fried food without ruining my diet...but everything fried is breaded! I'll try to try the pork rinds trick.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I must be the dumbest cook around. And I eat and cook a lot. I'm 57 1/2 years old and I have never heard of the word, "Panko" ever before. I have never seen it in print (I read a lot of books) or ever heard anyone say it in conversation before. And I love watching the "Cooking channel" on TV, never seen it there either. :\ I had to Google it...LOL! :) Oh well, I usually am the last to know, but I'm trying and I always make it a point to learn something new everyday.... thanks!

As for the Pork rinds, I have three bags in my cupboard, out-of-sight, out-of-mind! And I actually breaded some Zucchini with crushed pork rinds ~ baked them ~ and they were pretty good. I guess I was so gung-ho to try something new. I will try the pork rind on my chicken next time! Thanks for all the info....

(now if I only knew what "TIFWIW" means ~ :s ~ off to Google again!)
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hows about coconut flour in the double dip? use coconut flour for your first light dusting, egg sploosh, almond flour finish? My daughter does a lot of paleo cooking (i swear the girl would run away with Mark Sisson given the opportunity), and I know she did some kind of chicken nugget or something like this. i'll ask!
  • nill4me
    Options
    Talked to my daughter, and my mistake...she did not fry. She cut chicken tenders into nuggets, dipped in egg, and coated them in coconut (plain) seasoned with creole seasoning, and baked.
  • DittoDan
    edited October 2014
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    Talked to my daughter, and my mistake...she did not fry. She cut chicken tenders into nuggets, dipped in egg, and coated them in coconut (plain) seasoned with creole seasoning, and baked.

Hmmmm... that sounds delish! :D I'll try that... Baking shouldn't disturb the crumbs as much as frying does... I used to love "Shake & Bake", I could call it Keto Shake & Bake... Thanks!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I've used plain coconut flour on hammered pork strips (no egg wash) and deep fried them in peanut oil. The coating stays on really well with just the moisture from the meat. I have found that sometimes when you dip in the egg first or in between coatings, that it makes a "shell" that falls off in the frying process. Maybe try a few pieces with no egg and see how it works. Oh, and make sure your oil is hot enough (usually >350F), but not too hot.
  • JerryHowell88
    Options
    When I do pork cutlets or cubed steaks, I use pork rinds. I find if you get them smashed into powder, they work better.
    Also the double dip is almost mandated for a good crust. Messy, but so worth it!
  • nill4me
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    nill4me wrote: »

Hmmmm... that sounds delish! :D I'll try that... Baking shouldn't disturb the crumbs as much as frying does... I used to love "Shake & Bake", I could call it Keto Shake & Bake... Thanks!

no problem. I've also baked chicken coated with mayo and ground pork rinds. mmmm...