soybean oil

Options
tsmagpi
tsmagpi Posts: 14
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
Hello,
One of the things i like to have a side of with (name any meat) is egg salad. However every mayo that i can find is made with soybean oil, and I remember that i read somewhere to stay away from anything soy or vegetable based oils. Also I've noticed not a lot of mayo mentioning in any recipe I read about keto. That's anecdotal, but still. However, its almost all fat, and tastes great (especially Duke's which i just found moving to VA). So am I over paranoid about mayo/soybean oil? And if i'm not and soybean oil is something to stay away with is there a mayo that is better? I noticed some mayo's advertise being made with olive oil, which seems to be pandering to this market, but looking at the ingredients its just for show.

Thanks,

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Great question! I wondered if there was a coconut oil mayo, so I googled it and found this YouTube:
    http://youtu.be/Da0aJ7PcMUM
    I'm going to try it this weekend. It uses a tiny amount of sugar. I'll probably replace that with Stevia. And it uses some Olive oil, but mostly coconut oil.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Love that video Dan. Home made mayo is the bomb, and so very easy to make. The taste is so much better than store bought, in my opinion. I've used olive oil, avocado oil (its pretty green but good). I just found some macadamia nut oil at publix, so i may try it with that too. I've never tried with coconut oil...I'll definitely try that. I've never added sugar when I've made it. Just egg, oil, salt lemon or lime, and sometimes mustard. I love dunking my HB eggs in home made mayo mixed with some of that sriracha hot sauce. The one with the chicken on the bottle...lol Here is another link for making mayo. i have one of those nutribullet blenders...the tall blender cup is a pretty good size for mayo-making.

thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

• tsmagpi
    tsmagpi Posts: 14
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the great info. What about soybean oil though, is it something to avoid? I guess the guy in the video thinks so.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    If soy is processed correctly...through fermentation, then its okay but most American made soy products don't take this extra step.

I get my mayo at the local health food store (Sprouts) ---I use The Ojai Cook Lemonaise, (DittoDan's video used lemon too) which is all natural and uses canola oil instead of soy. Vegetable oils are advised to use with caution because of Omega imbalance. Canola is one of the best oils for balanced fatty acids; approximately 2:1 ratio of 6/3. It has a high burning point too so its safe to cook with.
  • JerryHowell88
    Options
    I use olive oil based mayo. I have seen Kraft and Hellman have those at the local Wally World.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to make your own, then you're sure of what's going in to it.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    dldoddy wrote: »
    It's so easy to make your own, then you're sure of what's going in to it.
    here here