Atkins group - are there any?

Options
freshstart
freshstart Posts: 30 Member
Do any of you belong to a group specific to those who do Atkins?

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    freshstart wrote: »
    FS;

"Atkins" means different things to different people as you probably know. Some use the term generically (kind of like "kleenex") to mean any of the various versions of "low carb" (LC, LCHF, VLC, Keto, etc).

It ("A") is, of course one specific method and the one to which I think you are referring.

I'm not aware of any groups "specific to.." "A" (as in they ONLY discuss Atkins), BUT, that doesn't mean they don't exist. At least in the desktop version I don't find a search function for the groups that would make locating one simple and user friendly. But the groups function of MFP has always been kind of a stepchild so it may exist and I'm just not seeing it.

As far as can tell, the only way to locate various groups is to scroll through the whole list (which is pages and pages long).

In any case, there are a number of members here that "do Atkins", either strictly adhering to its protocols or with some degree of moderation by picking and choosing the best points it recommends and ignoring others.

I think you will find this group supportive of the Atkins lifestyle but not necessarily single minded in saying it's the ONLY way to achieve your goals.

Stick around for a while and see if it doesn't meet your needs and WELCOME aboard!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    freshstart wrote: »
    FS;

"Atkins" means different things to different people as you probably know. Some use the term generically (kind of like "kleenex") to mean any of the various versions of "low carb" (LC, LCHF, VLC, Keto, etc).

It ("A") is, of course one specific method and the one to which I think you are referring.

I'm not aware of any groups "specific to.." "A" (as in they ONLY discuss Atkins), BUT, that doesn't mean they don't exist. At least in the desktop version I don't find a search function for the groups that would make locating one simple and user friendly. But the groups function of MFP has always been kind of a stepchild so it may exist and I'm just not seeing it.

As far as can tell, the only way to locate various groups is to scroll through the whole list (which is pages and pages long).

In any case, there are a number of members here that "do Atkins", either strictly adhering to its protocols or with some degree of moderation by picking and choosing the best points it recommends and ignoring others.

I think you will find this group supportive of the Atkins lifestyle but not necessarily single minded in saying it's the ONLY way to achieve your goals.

Stick around for a while and see if it doesn't meet your needs and WELCOME aboard!
    Really well put.

• freshstart
    Options
    Thank you! I do like this group for low carb. I have had good luck adhering to Atkins guidelines. Will start induction again Monday.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically do Atkins, but I'm familiar with the plan and I'm very supportive of those who are following it. I think most people on this group are.

I thought there was a group that was specifically "Atkins" related. But, it was very inactive (maybe even deleted in the recent purge of inactive groups) and I can't seem to find it now. The lack of "search" functionality for groups might explain why I can't find it, if it still exists.
  • freshstart
    Options
    Thanks! I just scrolled through the first 70 groups. None there, so I will continue learning through this group.
  • freshstart
    Options
    Thank you! I joined this group.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    Keto is very similar to Atkins induction. Keto researchers Phinney, Volek and Westman are named as authors on the newest Atkins book. Feel free to join the Keto group too or google Keto recipes to help you enjoy induction better.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up the Atkins group is not as active as this group or the keto group. You'll find support/information in the keto group, too!
  • freshstart
    Options
    I also have joined the Keto group.