Magnesium

Options
400mg per day (two 200mg tablets, one first thing in am, one around dinner) have made me overly "regular". I got mag citrate and apparently I am quite sensitive to its laxative effects.

I am going to try cutting back to 1 tab a day, anyone have any advice?

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am 283ish LBS. I tried (1) 400mg @ day. It worked for about (3) weeks then I got a leg/calf cramp like I used to get before I started taking them. The recommended dose is (2) x 400mg @ day. So after that cramp, I take them every 12 hours (or (2) @ day). I have only been on (2) @ day for about two weeks, so far, so good. But if I get another cramp, I am going to take more because I am a big guy. How much do you weigh and are you taking it for leg cramps?

BTW, it doesn't affect me at all (laxative-wise).

Dan the Man from Michigan

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    I weigh in at 288. 800mg/day might kill me. Gonna drop to 200mg/day and see.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    400mg per day (two 200mg tablets, one first thing in am, one around dinner) have made me overly "regular". I got mag citrate and apparently I am quite sensitive to its laxative effects.

My understanding is that the laxative effects is typically a sign that you're getting more magnesium than you need. If you're eating spinach regularly for example this would make perfect sense. Dropping to 1 pill a day and not worrying about it unless you start having problems makes sense to me (constipation/leg cramps are the top two symptoms of low magnesium I believe).
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is great for cramps, laxative, and sleep. I use to break up my doses but finally figured out if I take the full 500mg recommended dosage before bed I don't get cramps at night, I get much improved sleep, and each morning I have a great movement. Maybe just adjust your timing.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »

My understanding is that the laxative effects is typically a sign that you're getting more magnesium than you need. If you're eating spinach regularly for example this would make perfect sense. Dropping to 1 pill a day and not worrying about it unless you start having problems makes sense to me (constipation/leg cramps are the top two symptoms of low magnesium I believe).

That was my understanding as well. Going to drop to one pill (in fact, skipped my evening one yesterday), and hope the laxative effects diminish.