Pineapple

Options
Soooo, pineapple isn't really low-carb and I'm trying to stay in deep keto for weight loss. It's (strangely) one of the biggest things I miss. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a pseudo-pineapple fix? Maybe some kind of recipe that has that flavoring? Or have you found a way to use very small amounts of actual pineapple in a keto-friendly manner?

Replies

• lghorton
    Options
    I missed bananas so much I got some banana extract. I don't know if they make pineapple extract, but it might help. I mix the banana extract and Splenda in softened cream cheese and limit myself to just a teaspoon or so as an 'after dinner' treat. I'm surprised at how little it takes to satisfy my craving.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    lghorton, what a great idea!! I miss bananas too, so I am going to try this! I have an extract that I sometimes add to my coffee, but it's just not the same.
  • BansheeCat
    BansheeCat Posts: 140
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The extract is a good idea.

Don't laugh but I have a mini hookah "cigar" ironically with one of the flavors being pineapple. My favorite is chocolate, then mango(oh how I miss mangos!) It works quite well by tricking the senses. An extra benefit is getting moisture into my lungs (it helps my asthma symptoms)

The pineapple flavor is my son's favorite--he's the one to blame for turning his mom into a hookah fan.
  • khemistrygirl
    khemistrygirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I found some old pineapple chunks in the back of my freezer. I had just one little chunk with 1oz of cheese. Didn't throw me off at all and I savored it ;) I tried some pineapple flavoring, but it just didn't do the job :(
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    I find pineapple and cottage cheese at the store quite often. Maybe making you're own would be less carby.