Coffee Options??

Options
boehle
boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
Good Morning (atleast here in the US, good afternoon/evening for everyone else.. LOL)
I have been working on lowering my carbs and doing pretty decent.
One thing I need to work on is my coffee.
I like the girly flavored options.
I drink half of it black, but then end up mixing it with a cappuccino and get killed with the carbs... What other options does anyone suggest?

Replies

• mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good Morning :)
    I'm on Atkins and I drink one flavored coffee in the morning... I like french vanilla and I don't think it has much carb like cappuccino !!
    Enjoy your coffee with cream and butter ;)
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    What about sugar free syrups and cream? (I'm talking like heavy cream with nearly all fat and 0g of carbs).
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I have never tried the heavy cream... I wouldn't even touch black coffee until recently.. so I am making baby steps that half the glass is black. The french vanilla cappucino I have been using is sugar free.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I like iced coffee. Starbucks makes an unsweetened variety in a bottle that I mix with Blue Diamond Vanilla Unsweetened almond milk (30 cals, 1 carb per cup) and a little sugar free caramel flavored syrup.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    For some the artificial sweetner stalls weight loss. Don't know how...perhaps someone can elaborate.

I've been drinking coffee for years but with sweenter. I tried going no frills (no flavor) and meh...nasty.

There are other flavors but I use Ghirardelli Chocolate Mocha Cocoa mix. It calls for 3 TBL but mix in only a tsp (3carbs) with 1 TBL of heavy cream. Having the cream brings out the flavor enough for me. If you want to bullet proof your coffee you can add 1TBL un-salted butter (salted if you add caramel flavoring) and 1TBL coconut oil; wisk and serve. Amazing!

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    BansheeCat wrote: »
    For some the artificial sweetner stalls weight loss. Don't know how...perhaps someone can elaborate.

I've been drinking coffee for years but with sweenter. I tried going no frills (no flavor) and meh...nasty.

There are other flavors but I use Ghirardelli Chocolate Mocha Cocoa mix. It calls for 3 TBL but mix in only a tsp (3carbs) with 1 TBL of heavy cream. Having the cream brings out the flavor enough for me. If you want to bullet proof your coffee you can add 1TBL un-salted butter (salted if you add caramel flavoring) and 1TBL coconut oil; wisk and serve. Amazing!

My understanding is that the sweet flavor triggers an "anticipation" insulin release, at least in some people. There may also be some other hormonal responses going on, depending on individual reaction to the compound.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    My understanding is that the sweet flavor triggers an "anticipation" insulin release, at least in some people. There may also be some other hormonal responses going on, depending on individual reaction to the compound.

Hmm..who da thought. I notice a weird aftertaste so I've never jumped on that bandwagon.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    BansheeCat wrote: »

Hmm..who da thought. I notice a weird aftertaste so I've never jumped on that bandwagon.

Yeah, same here. I can't stand the taste (or aftertaste) of artificial sweeteners. The only one I can stand is Stevia, and only when used lightly/moderately.
  • leicesteralex
    Options
    Do you put flavours in your coffee? :o
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Do you put flavours in your coffee? :o

I used flavored coffee sometimes instead. Like Dunkin Donuts blueberry, carmel and chocolate are our favorites, not mixed together of course :D

But then i use heavy cream, coconut milk and a packet of raw stevia to sweeten it if needed.
  • royvmax
    royvmax Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have just attempted to move to low carb high fat. One thing I was struggling with was coffee as I take it black with one sugar. I used to drink about 8 cups a day and have cut that down to 4 and drink water instead. However it is still 4 spoonfulls of sugar too much! Recently tried Monins Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup in my CostaAmericano and it tasted great - no bitter aftertaste as with artificial sweeteners. So now I have an answer. Order 4litres from Amazon - its not cheap at £9 a litre but hope it will help me curb my sugar addiction.
  • leicesteralex
    Options
    I used to use a lot of sugar and sweeteners in my coffe. I thought I was addicted to coffee. Now I drink my coffee without any sugar or sweeteners. I took a bit to get used to it. I drink much less coffee now and the sweet cravings have gone as well