My sister: assistance

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
My sister battles some medical conditions that her docs (and I) think a low carb diet would help. She's only ever done Ww and jenny Craig. Would the last Atkins book be a good primer for her? Or what would you smart folks recommend?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the Atkins books, but Jimmy Moore's got a ton of great resources (and is a tremendous weight loss success story), as does Christine Cronau. Christine has a LCHF program that might help your sister get started, if that's what you're looking for. I'm also a fan of Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint book, which provides a real/whole-food framework and reasons why high-carb eating is a problem. He also has eating plan resources and a 21-day challenge if she's into that kind of thing.

If it's a matter of convincing her that it works, I've found it helps to provide some studies that show it (there's a great paper on the promising research for keto/LCHF for treating neurological issues beyond epilepsy, for example), or information on the science of how it works for a given condition.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My sister battles some medical conditions that her docs (and I) think a low carb diet would help. She's only ever done Ww and jenny Craig. Would the last Atkins book be a good primer for her? Or what would you smart folks recommend?
    SS;

Yes, the "latest" Atkins book is a good start as it was co-authored by Dr Jeff Volek and brings many of Dr Atkins findings up to date with current research.

Problem is, the very word "atkins" carries a number of negative connotations (undeservedly so) in many quarters (including the so called medical "professionals").

Atkins himself, as you likely know, was essentially blackballed by the entire medical hierarchy in this country and much of that bad blood remains even to this date.

It's wrong, it's childish, it's been responsible for the tragic outcomes we are experiencing today, but it is what it is.

It is for that reason that I make it a point to emphasize that "A" is not the ONLY path to LCHF - it's one and for the most part it's a good one but some people are just never being able to get past the history.

Off the soapbox, here's the link to the book:

tinyurl.com/pcaqfld

This is the one you want (IMO), there are a number with similar titles but it's Phinney, Volek, and Westman that have the goods.

Their other book, Art and Science, is again IMO, an absolute "must read" for anyone seriously interested in learning the fact behind the science.

tinyurl.com/l68ql8x

There are others (see previous post with Taubes and Moore refs) but these make for a good start
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Awesome. You guys rock!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    In the end, I'm trying the 90 day low carb challenge on the main boards. I'm reading a few more things, re-reading a few more things and going to hopefully use what I learn to talk to my sister. cheers.
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wheat Belly is a good read as well. And I second the Primal Blueprint.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Sabine, you are a good sister!

She seems open to trying programs, so why not jump into Atkins or Primal with your sister? Maybe make it a team activity, or competition, whichever you think may motivate her more. It will be good for the two of you!

I can't offer much in the way of where to start, as I am a newbie myself (who keeps pushing myself out of keto with my weekend activities), but I do admire your desire to help your sister. Just being there for some people does wonders. Best of luck to both of you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    Sabine, you are a good sister!

She seems open to trying programs, so why not jump into Atkins or Primal with your sister? Maybe make it a team activity, or competition, whichever you think may motivate her more. It will be good for the two of you!

I can't offer much in the way of where to start, as I am a newbie myself (who keeps pushing myself out of keto with my weekend activities), but I do admire your desire to help your sister. Just being there for some people does wonders. Best of luck to both of you!

Thanks. In the end, I decided to join the Low Carb Challenge to get to know it a bit better... and then I'll talk to her some more. Paleo/primal might be palatable for her... It sounds fun. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I've put Phinney, Volek, and Westman on my kindle list too. thanks guys
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I second Primal Blueprint. I am a science geek when it comes to weight/fat loss and love Lyle McDonald's books and articles on fat loss, ketosis, etc. They aren't for everyone though as he gets very technical, but his book on ketogenic diets is the main reason why I decided to start doing it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks again friends. I just re-read Atkins the new one. I *thought* I'd read it before, but as I was reading it, it became clear I had. Now Im working my way through primal blueprint (thank god for kindle and libraries). I have read a bit of Sisson before, but not much. And I'm waiting for my next audible credit to read Phinney, Volek, and Westman. I'm really enjoying this, geek that I am. I'm not on day 4 of officially low carb. I don't "need" to be here, but I want to see what she would experience if she did low carb, primal etc. SLOW carb I know, and could talk her through that. The hard thing will be the mind set change the entire 4 years she was on Jenny Craig she refused to eat an avocado.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Mmm... avocados! Thanks for the add BTW. I think Primal Blueprint would be her best bet.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    mmm I think I'll check out some of the books..
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If your sister doesn't want to read or spend money, Atkins.com has everything laid out rather concisely, although it does advocate processed foods which I don't. But if you remove the processed "low carb" crap, it is a great resource for beginners
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That's the great thing with the inter webs, you can get a lot of info for learning an eating plan. As far as paying goes, all my books are on audible (or the library online), so I just share my passwords with her. In fact, non-diet related, we both share our audible and library passwords with each other. More books for both of us!
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use Overdrive to check out books from the library on my Kindle App
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kkimpel wrote: »
    I use Overdrive to check out books from the library on my Kindle App

yup. me too. I use overdrive a lot. I'm lucky in that I have two library cards in two cities. I just wish they had more digital content. They will, over time.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Love my Overdrive (on iPad)! There's really quite a lot available from my library. You can check out public domain books, too, without time limits for returning them. I also have the Kindle App, which I used to purchase the Phinney Volek books, can't remember the exact titles.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    Love my Overdrive (on iPad)! There's really quite a lot available from my library. You can check out public domain books, too, without time limits for returning them. I also have the Kindle App, which I used to purchase the Phinney Volek books, can't remember the exact titles.
    And I love the kindle lending library too!