New to PCOS diagnosis- I have some questions

Options
Hi! My name is Amanda and recently I was diagnosed with PCOS. I just have a few questions-

1) I was told that individuals with PCOS are at a higher risk for diabetes. Is this true? And if it is, how can I help myself to avoid that?

2) I know that PCOS can make it harder to lose weight. Is there any kind of diet that seems to work better with a body affected by PCOS?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If you read thru the posts on this forum you'll find lots of information to help you with both your questions. But a quick run down I can give you.

1. Often women have insulin resistant PCOS. To find out if you have that type, get a fasting insulin (not blood sugar) test. If your insulin is high, good chance you have IR. They will often put you on Metformin or alternatively you can use some Inositol to help your body process the insulin it makes. Basically, your pancreas keeps producing insulin because your body doesnt recognize the insulin it has already produced and asks for more. Eventually your pancreas gets tired, stops producing enough insulin and bam you've got to take insulin as a diabetic. So getting this diagnosed early is really important.

2. A low carb/high fat/moderate protein diet is really very helpful for losing weight. Lower carbs mean your body isnt struggling to use enough insulin to digest and use the carbs. High fats help you get all the vitamins you need and level out some hormones. With PCOS your hormones are all wacky. You have to find percentages that work with your weightloss and lifestyle tho. No one thing works for every PCOSer. So some of us are on an atkins type low carb, some do about 50g or less net carbs a day, some do 100g or less total carbs a day. Some do low GI foods paired with fats and protein at ever meal. The key is, if you lower your carbs you HAVE to raise the fats with some moderate protein.

Welcome to the forum. PCOS can be managed so dont give up but take the time to read thru the posts here and adjust your diet and lifestyle in a way you can sustain that way of eating and exercise routine for the long term. Its a lifestyle change not a diet when you have PCOS.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Alli has given you a nice basic introduction to PCOS, as you have more questions feel free to ask more specific things, we all are learning all the time. I'll speak for both Alli and myself here, but feel free to add us as friends and we'll be able to support you a bit more personally if you like :smile:
  • alcrisp93
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the information!!
  • IAmToria
    Options
    I'm a bit clueless.......can I ask what you mean by high fats? Sorry!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    IAmToria wrote: »

Exactly what it sounds like -- a diet where you get your calories primarily from fats.

One of these days, I'll finish the blog post(s) I have regarding this, but until then, I'll have to keep digging up my past posts or re-writing everything every time. This time, I found a recent link to a past forum post, so check it out. It has some more detailed information about how to go about it and why a low carb, high fat, adequate protein (LCHF) diet won't give you a heart attack and has a relatively high success rate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1443167/pcos-and-metformin#Comment_21563665
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Exactly what it sounds like -- a diet where you get your calories primarily from fats.

One of these days, I'll finish the blog post(s) I have regarding this, but until then, I'll have to keep digging up my past posts or re-writing everything every time. This time, I found a recent link to a past forum post, so check it out. It has some more detailed information about how to go about it and why a low carb, high fat, adequate protein (LCHF) diet won't give you a heart attack and has a relatively high success rate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1443167/pcos-and-metformin#Comment_21563665

LOL cant wait till you get your blog posts done but I messaged her and sent her to another of your posts from a week ago in another PCOS forum where you laid it out pretty well also. It'd be nice when all this info is in one place (hint, hint) :D

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

LOL cant wait till you get your blog posts done but I messaged her and sent her to another of your posts from a week ago in another PCOS forum where you laid it out pretty well also. It'd be nice when all this info is in one place (hint, hint) :D

Haha, I'm working on it! Been juggling a number of other things lately. Hopefully things will start quieting down and I'll have some spare time and energy to dive back into them and finish them. I've got plans for what will probably turn into a sort of mini-series on the foods and more detail on why I recommend certain things. :)
  • A_Dabauer
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

Haha, I'm working on it! Been juggling a number of other things lately. Hopefully things will start quieting down and I'll have some spare time and energy to dive back into them and finish them. I've got plans for what will probably turn into a sort of mini-series on the foods and more detail on why I recommend certain things. :)

Great work, it all just takes time and energy, and we seldom have enough of that!
  • alcrisp93
    Options
    Just wanted to post again and say thanks for all the info! (The link from Dragonwolf was an extra awesome addition!) I'm doing a lot of research into the low carb/high fat/adequate protein change you guys mentioned.

I don't know if I'm insulin resistant or not yet. I have some blood work scheduled later in the week that should tell me for certain. Either way, I think I'd like to make the shift to low carb to see how it benefits me.
  • A_Dabauer
    Options
    I've been living low carb for years :smile: investigate it and find a way to make it work for you, is my best advice.