Recipe ideas!

Options
Anyone have any go-to recipes that are helping them lose weight?

Replies

• jkterrell
    jkterrell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have some good ones! I am working right now but will post later :-)
  • irenepn
    irenepn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Soup - Salad - Smoothies :) Those are my 3 that are really helping me eat super clean right now. This is Jon Gabriels Detox Soup:
    Fill the bottom of a large pot with onions, garlic and any herbs you like.
    Add just enough water to cover the garlic and onions and boil for 10 – 15 minutes.
    Do not add any oil to the pot.
    Chop up vegetables, such as:
    Broccoli
    Parsnips
    Sweet potato
    Carrot
    Kale
    Spinach
    Cabbage
    Peppers/capsicum
    Silver beet
    Any other green leafy vegetables that are in season.
    Do not use potatoes
    Fill the pot approximately 1/3 full with chopped vegetables
    Fill the pot approximately ½ full with water
    Bring to a simmer – do not boil.
    Cover and let simmer for 4-6 hours, adding water every hour or so to keep the water level between ½-3/4 full.
    Strain broth and serve with your choice of healthy salt, like hymalayan salt crystals, turmeric, cayenne pepper and ginger.
    Store the remainder in a glass container in the refrigerator. Heat and serve whenever you want broth.

Any soups like this are filling and nutritious.
  • ericabrownlee
    ericabrownlee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This garden veg soup by Alton Brown is really filling and makes quite a bit of leftovers that heat up really well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/garden-vegetable-soup-recipe.html
  • smittysgirl4ever
    smittysgirl4ever Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am totally going to try to make the soup recipe you posted irenepn, thank you! My go to treat to help keep me on track when I have sweet cravings is banana mock ice cream:

I banana cut into 1" slices and frozen
    1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp chopped nuts (I use cashews because I'm allergic to almonds)
    1 tsp dried fruit of choice
    1 tsp unsweetened shredded coconut

Put all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until banana is creamy but not melted. SOOOOOOOO delicious and feels indulgent.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    home made mini pizzas using sandwich thins. I don't know if you have them in US but you could also use pittas I use wholemeal.
    Half fat mozzarella, salsa, veggies, some sort of protein (I use veggie ham or bacon), bake in t'oven.
  • joannenicole451
    joannenicole451 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Soup is definitely a great one - especially this time of year. I make big batches of soup and then freeze it into individual servings. I have soup and salad for lunch most days. Having a cup of soup along with the salad makes lunch feel more substantial, so I don't feel deprived having just the salad. Right now I'm really enjoying butternut squash soup. I didn't follow any recipe, that's the great thing about soups - you can just throw a ton of stuff in the pot, whatever you have on hand, and it usually turns out yummy. I had some leeks, a couple of butternut squash, a potato, an apple, some garlic and a few quarts of homemade chicken broth. No added oil or cream or anything. Boil it until everything is tender, blend it up until it's smooth, add some seasonings (I like a healthy dose of cayenne in mine, the spice goes surprisingly well with butternut, and it's good for your metabolism) and there you go!
  • irenepn
    irenepn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Vegetable rice is my new favourite.....I could eat it daily lol.
    Wholegrain rice - 300g (about a cup?) I buy the parboiled stuff so it only takes 10 minutes to cook
    Water according to rice packet instructions - usually double the rice quantity
    Your choice of vegetables - I use:
    2 red bell peppers
    2 onions
    2 cloves garlic
    Frozen corn niblets - about a cup
    Frozen peas
    2 vegetable stock cubes

Sauté the onion, peppers and garlic in a little olive oil. Add the frozen veg - cook for a few mins. Boil the kettle.
    Add the rice and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the required amount of boiled water. Add the stock cubes.
    Put the lid on the pot and let cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
    Try not to eat it all at once :wink: