Body Image Issues

Options
MistyHiker
MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
The mind process of seeing my self smaller. It's weird! I'm still figuring this out. (I posted something about this a while back but couldn't find it?)

On the advice of Hubby and Friends I got rid of everything in my closet that was too big for me. I needed some more cloths, and because I still have a ways to go to my goal and I don't want to spend to much money, I decided to go to the Thrift store.

I still haven't recognized that I have shrunk.

I was at the thrift store going thru the cloths and picked out 8 shirts to try on. I get into the dressing room and start trying them on. They were all to big!

I still don't see myself as smaller. I sat down in the dressing room and cried. I looked at all the shirts I picked out and realized I picked out shirts I would have worn when I was heavier. I still see myself as a size 22/24 size when I look at cloths. I sit there and realize when I walked into the store I went straight to the plus size section without thinking.

I go back out and get some more shirts but this time I go looking in the regular clothing section. This was daunting. Looking thru all these cloths trying to find something that might fit me. Well after trying multiple sizes it looks like I can now fit in a size 16/18 now.

I haven't been this size since I was about 12/13 years old. I've always been big.

I think what I might have to do is hang a shirt, that I now fit into, on my wall in my bedroom. Have it where I can see it on a daily basis so I can start recognizing that this is the size I am. Maybe this will help my mind realize that I am smaller and it is okay.

Thanks to my MFP friends for putting up with me and Thanks for letting me vent.

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I still have to try on everything. I think something will be way too small and it will fit perfectly. I also had to learn about sizes because my world always had 2XX s. There are misses sizes and women's sizes. I am size 4/6 in womens pants and size 7/8 in misses. Regular small in womens shirts or petite medium. Regular medium in misses shirts. This drove me nuts until I figured it out.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I I also had to learn about sizes because my world always had 2XX s. There are misses sizes and women's sizes. I am size 4/6 in womens pants and size 7/8 in misses. Regular small in womens shirts or petite medium. Regular medium in misses shirts. This drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Mangopickle - you mentioned you went from 254-150 - we are close to same starting weight (only a few pounds away!) and 150 has been this target number everytime I've dieted. How tall are you? I know I may lose differently, but seeing your pics and those sizes...I really had no idea what clothing size 150 might be. I was thinking I'd still be a large or 14/16. I know I may be different - but looking for a reference point!

My Dad had bypass a number of years ago and he still lives the big man mentaility. He can fit into a XL where he was 3/4X. He still buys from big and tall everything. I don't think he made a good transition in that respect.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MistyHiker wrote: »
    The mind process of seeing my self smaller. It's weird! I'm still figuring this out. (I posted something about this a while back but couldn't find it?)

Yes. I can relate. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think, "Who IS that?". When I practice yoga, the room is full of mirrors. I look at myself as I am able (depending on which pose we are in) and really focus on looking at, appreciating, and accepting my body as it is each day. It is a process.
    On the advice of Hubby and Friends I got rid of everything in my closet that was too big for me. I needed some more cloths, and because I still have a ways to go to my goal and I don't want to spend to much money, I decided to go to the Thrift store.

Good for you for getting rid of the too big stuff and going on the hunt for clothes that fit! I was buying clothes that were too big and were covering me up. My bestie said "Stop hiding!"-- and she was right. It can be scary and intimidating at first, but it is also very liberating.
    I think what I might have to do is hang a shirt, that I now fit into, on my wall in my bedroom. Have it where I can see it on a daily basis so I can start recognizing that this is the size I am. Maybe this will help my mind realize that I am smaller and it is okay.

BRILLIANT idea!! Just fab!! Do it and please keep us posted on how it goes!

• dearestbree86
    Options
    I remember watching an interview with Rosie O'donnell and she was talking about her journey with the surgery. She said that she would go to stores and buy XXL clothing. They clerk would ask her if she was sure that was the size she wanted. Rosie would get home and try it on and end up sending her assistant back to buy Mediums. She still is having a hard time adjusting to her new size. I thought it was very interesting.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I know in my head what size I wear, but I also know that with all the excess skin on my thighs and upper arms that if there's not enough stretch in the fabric, it won't fit. For me, I think that's why I still see an XL, which I've worn for almost a year now, and automatically think it's too small. The more weight I lose, the more disproportionate my body becomes. It's frustrating.
  • MistyHiker
    Options
    Love you guys so much!!!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • heathervsg
    Options
    I know what size I wear now, but I still feel like I don't "look" like that size. Does that make sense? I wear a 6 in pants! I haven't worn that since my 20s, yet most days I still feel self-conscious and think I still look heavy. I hope that goes away soon and my mind catches up.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I also try everything on, even though I've been in a size 8 for months now. The clothes just look too small for me. It's still surprising when they fit.

I was 290 and size 24 at my biggest. I'm 153 now (5'6")
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    I am 5'5" inches with medium to small bones. I wear women's size 4 pants, size 8-10 women's dresses and women's medium and small shirts- just depends on the designer. I will also point out that along with my boobs my *kitten* also up and left. I shouldn't be surprised, my mother and paternal grandmother were A cups with flat butts.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Mangopickle & Pattycakes - thank you! I'm 5'6" and currently 256. At my largest, I was 288 and size 24 were getting tight. They are now looser and I can get into 22s (still pre-op). I've always looked at a size 8 as if it would NEVER happen. I really thought the smallest I'd be was a 12/14. Thank you for sharing!!
    -
  • MistyHiker
    Options
    Love the comments!

I'm big boned and 5'-4". My highest was 320 now down to 233. Seeing you lady's get down to less than 160 give me hope!

55884421.png
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    boomerkae wrote: »
    Mangopickle & Pattycakes - thank you! I'm 5'6" and currently 256. At my largest, I was 288 and size 24 were getting tight. They are now looser and I can get into 22s (still pre-op). I've always looked at a size 8 as if it would NEVER happen. I really thought the smallest I'd be was a 12/14. Thank you for sharing!!
    -
    I ate on average 800-900 calories a day 3months post op til 150 lbs. then i set my calories at 1350 per day
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's fun and confusing all at the same time! I still feel bigger too and it has been 9 months since surgery and I have lost 86 pounds. I too have a hard time finding stuff that fits right, but it is really nice to be able to go into a store and pick stuff off a rack and it fits! All of my larger sizes I have passed on to a friend who just had surgery a few weeks ago. I started in a tight size 16 pants and I am in a loose 6 right now. I think I was in a size 12 for like 30 days! I would go into stores and just try stuff on sometimes and not buy anything unless it was a great deal and I couldn't resist. When you have some extra time, try it so you will have a better idea of what size you are. Also I would get stuff on clearance in the next size down if I found something I loved. I wish I would have done that with shorts this year since mine are a size 8 that I don't fit anymore and I am going to the Persian Gulf this winter to visit my husband who is in the military. Going to be a challenge finding some summer clothes in January. :(
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I love this group! You all give me hope....
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love the fact that we can talk about our weight and sizes and not have to be embarrassed. Although I know I'm smaller I still see myself as bigger. I get surprised when I try on something and it fits. Ive always had large breast (ddd cup) and the curvy hips and butt, so my sizes vary depending on brand. I started as as 26/28/30 pants and 26/28 or 3/4x shirts at 354 now I'm 245 and teeter totter between 16/18/20 again depending on the brand. I'm not at goal but would love to rest around 12/14. The plus side is I haven't worn 16/18 since 1993 before I got pregnant with my son.
  • joyhibbz
    joyhibbz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror I still see the SUMO wrestler that I thought of myself as (see profile pic) and I still see myself as that. I was 295 when I started this process and wearing some 24's and 26s. I am a little over 8 months post op down 97lbs and wearing 18's and a couple 16s. I too buy my clothes from the thrift stores right now until I am in maintenance whenever that may come. But I always pick things that are way to big. I just don't see any difference when I look at myself. I talked with my Bariatric team about this and she sent a letter to my Family Dr. who also talked to me about it. I guess after seeing myself huge for so many years its going to take a while for me to see myself as being smaller. I carry most of my weight in my stomach and its still the biggest thing on me. Other than my deflated bags(boobs) which could drag the floor now lol.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It can be really hard to wrap your head around the "new you". I have lost over 200 lbs and I still look in the mirror sometimes and see the old me. Most of us have spent a LOT of years being big, and seeing ourselves as we are now takes some getting used to. I know for me, it's kind of surreal sometimes. I used to wear size 4X shirts, and now I am a M or L, and when I put on a shirt now, I figure it must run big or something. It's crazy the way we think sometimes, but I am getting used to being smaller slowly but surely.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Being obese at the end of the day is a mental issue. I just focus on taking care of my health and loving me 100%. I don't try to forget that a have an "obese brain" I don't want my eating addiction to ever get the upper hand again. I am in remission and I want to stay that way. i hit the thrift stores weekly to try on clothes. the more i try on the more settled i have become in my new sizes. i also give away all too large clothes immediately.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    boomerkae wrote: »
    -

You CAN totally get there! I'm 5'6" and started at 235. I landed around 145 after about 9 months. may go to 135 yet and wear a 4 pant, 6-8 dress as well.