getting sleeved on 20th november

Options
any tips, help, support?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My advice is to read all of the topics in the various WLS groups (VSGers, Sleev'ers, and Gastric ByPass/VSG/LapBand are the three I follow) and add a selection of Friends at all stages of the process. You will get to see diaries of folks and start to get a real picture of the day to day life. Ask any questons you may have and you will get to see the wide breadth of experiences.

I am just over three weeks post-surgery and have had a really easy time of it. I am not the usual story, though. Get reading and asking. We are all here to help!

Rob

• xshonaghx
    Options
    Thank you for your reply rob, I will certainly look into it all, it's great to have such a positive reply! I'm a bit lost at the moment and don't have much of a clue what ill be going through so thankyou again
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm originally from your state, but I guess Im drawing a blank on your area!
    I just had mine done on 11/16 (last week).
    It sounds like you've already endured some medical issues in your past so you already know the word "pain."
    I think anything medical that you haven't had to undergo can be a lot tougher if you've been lucky at not having to go up against medical related things.
    You don't go to lala land and wake up a skinny person...there are steps and process before and after.
    Some my be easy (or at least tolerable) while other things you may start thinking "what have I gotten myself into"
    Your past medical issues were not by your choice, I presume that weight loss surgery is!
    Read through peoples threads and posts and gain the important information that You need or are looking for :smile:
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Take it one stage at a time. It's so much info to take in all at once. A few days before the next stage read up on what's coming next. Your body will be changing constantly. Some days you'll see big losses, the next maybe a gain. That is normal and it will even out once you get past the liquid, soft foods, then finally solids. Make sure you eat enough and drink enough. I had a hard time getting in liquids so I was nauseated and my dr. gave me Zofran and it was so much better. Track everything it helps you realize how much or how little you are taking in. Most importantly HAVE FAITH in the process. It will work. Don't get discouraged if you have a small loss, or even a gain...it will be okay. Take your measurements BEFORE surgery and once a month after. I cried the morning I took my measurements before surgery, but I am so happy I did. It was great watching the inches melt away. Sometimes the scale doesn't budge but the measuring tape does!

I am 9 months out and I have about 10 more pounds to lose and I will be at my 100% of excess weight lost. I have recently rejoined Weight Watchers to have that accountability that I need to have...this is the fourth time I have joined and it is so helpful to stay on track! I lost 6 pounds last month and I had only been losing about 3.5 per month for the last 2 months before.

I look forward to hearing about your journey!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions. I am 3 years out and still working towards goal, so as you can see, we don't all lose at the same rate nor do we all make goal the first year. It depends on a variety of things, most of all, how much you have to lose when you start. For instance, I started at 386 pounds, so losing the 226 pounds I need to get to goal is taking longer than the person who needs to lose 150. And our programs vary by doctor too, so Rob's suggestion of a variety of friends is a really good one. Our journey's are similar but not identical.

Weight loss surgery is a great tool, but that's what it is, a tool. Use that tool and you will lose the weight. Keep using that tool for the rest of your life and you will keep the weight off. This isn't a cure, but it's the best thing I personally ever did for myself.

Good luck and feel free to send a friend request.

Pat.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time...I am 6 weeks post-op and the weight is now slow coming off. The pain level from my surgery was very little. Thank goodness. I am so happy I went through with the surgery. I read everything I could and watched numerous youtube videos from people that had the sleeve done. The best tools are to read and talk to others. This group is awesome for info.! Good luck! (Donna)