Hi! I'm new and two weeks post-op

Options
klcovington
klcovington Posts: 381 Member
Hello! I'm new to the site and looking for friends who are going through this journey. I was sleeved on 9/18/14 and I have just passed the two weeks post-op mark. I am on the liquid phase of the program (one more week to go) which my surgeon uses --- they do not do the pureed phase. And I am soooo looking forward to the soft food phase! Did I mention that I dream of food sometimes?? Not too scary until it starts talking to me!! ha ha

I hope to hear from you. Any pointers, advice, etc. Would love to hear from you and make new friends. I am in the metro DC / Northern VA area.

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

I am newly sleeved (9/30) as well. You have found a really supportive group of people who will be very open about the process and their journey through it. My advice to newcomers is to read a ton, find a group of friends at all stages of the process and add them so you can see diaries and get food ideas.

Rob
  • klcovington
    Options
    Thanks, Rob! Glad to meet you. I am really excited about this journey. I have not had any pain....just extreme nausea the day after surgery. I am slowly adding in exercise. It's crazy but I feel like I have more energy than I used to --- even though I still get tired easily, if that makes sense.
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was sleeved on 9/22 so we're at about the same point. I do have to do the pureed portion of the diet, but even that I am looking forward to just for a change of consistency!

My advice is to consistently log your food, and check the boards everyday. Reading what other people are going through and knowing that I am not alone in what I am experiencing has been a huge help!
  • klcovington
    Options
    Thanks! Right now...I am beginning to hate the thought of chicken broth! I can't wait until I can start adding in some soft foods like eggs and yogurt and sugar free pudding even. The other day, I actually put a piece of garlic bread (stolen from my son's plate) on my tongue --- just to taste the flavor!! My kids laughed at me. :laugh:
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to have cream soups? I started cream soups after the first week and I never thought I could enjoy some tomato soup so much! It has really helped me with the cravings I was experiencing during the clear liquid portion.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was sleeved on 7/29. I am still on the soft food stage but there really isn't anything else I want to add to my diet. This is a very supportive group and I've gotten a lot of good advice and insight. Feel free to friend me - my diary is open to friends. Good luck on your journey!
  • klcovington
    Options
    My surgeon doesn't allow sf pudding or skim milk or cream soups --- at least from week 3 to week 7. This part is really especially challenging because I am getting sick of eggs, broth, and soft cheeses. I have to admit that I went ahead and tried soft Boston Market dark meat chicken without skin and it was delicious! I also tried crackers --- whole grain Saltines. I just had to try something!
  • cheri50252
    Options
    I was sleeved on 10/7 and just passed the 2 week post op. My doctor does do the pureed food stage. I was so excited to start this period after the liquids, however, I found that it is not a easy stage. I find myself being full all of a sudden and sometimes too full, so then I get sick. I also find it hard to get the amount of protein in daily that they recommend. The one thing I found is greek yogurt, I've tried greek yogurt many times and could never get it down because it is so sour. I found if I add 2 teas of Stevia sugar replacement and mixing it in well now makes it so I can eat the greek yogurt. I also got unflavored Unjury and put one scoop in a container daily and as I eat I add a spoon full to my meal and mix well, when the container is empty I know I've added a little over 20 grams of protein to my day. But when you start this stage, go slowly, I think the first 3 meals I ate I was sick because I ate it too fast.
  • klcovington
    Options
    Thanks for the info --- I too am finding that I get full all of a sudden sometimes and feel pretty badly. I will have to try adding the Unjury to the Greek yogurt. I typically use the unflavored in water with Crystal Light. I did like the chocolate in 1% milk but I am not cleared for milk yet --- even skim.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have my 1st week post-op appt tomorrow :smiley: and its funny how the things we used to not even think twice about are the simplest things we'd give anything to eat now!
    My husband made some scrambled eggs w/ melted cheese the other day...you should've seen my glossy eyes just starring at it...lol!
    In my 2nd phase I can incorporate some dairy things including cream (w/out chunks) and tomato soups. In my 3rd week (next week) I can finally have eggs...I cant wait!!
    As much as I "used" to like chicken noodle soup, its just not the same being just broth and I believe it will be quite awhile before I can look at it in the same way I used to :anguished:
  • klcovington
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    I have my 1st week post-op appt tomorrow :smiley: and its funny how the things we used to not even think twice about are the simplest things we'd give anything to eat now!
    My husband made some scrambled eggs w/ melted cheese the other day...you should've seen my glossy eyes just starring at it...lol!
    In my 2nd phase I can incorporate some dairy things including cream (w/out chunks) and tomato soups. In my 3rd week (next week) I can finally have eggs...I cant wait!!
    As much as I "used" to like chicken noodle soup, its just not the same being just broth and I believe it will be quite awhile before I can look at it in the same way I used to :anguished:

So true! Congrats on the one week mark btw. I used to have dreams of food talking to me (or really teasing me) the first week or two after surgery. I thought I was losing it until I heard others say the same thing. I remember being so excited about my first post-op scrambled eggs. I made two and could only eat one --- I was surprised and the dog was happy!
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    I bet your dog was watching to see if anything "accidently" dropped from your plate before it was given the 2nd egg that you couldn't eat...lol!
    This is what our dogs used to do when we were little....sit at our feet or "hide" under the table, like we weren't aware they were there :grinning:
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Yesterday I started on my 2nd week....steak and pork chops don't come in till the 3rd month and then itll be a hit or miss depending on how I tolerate them....all I know is that Im badly craving meat/substance!
    Liquids, broth, cream of whatever soups and yogurt (w/out fruits) just aren't the same :broken_heart:
  • klcovington
    Options
    Congrats on week 2! I know what you mean about liquids --- sometimes I feel like I will drown. I am still trying to figure out those "full" signals or warnings before I actually feel full. It's hard because sometimes it just "hits" all of a sudden.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I find it amazing how each dr has us do something different. I did the liquids and then moved on as I was able to handle it to other foods. I am now at 6 weeks post-op ans I can even have some salad. I cannot deal with pasta or any meat that is dry. I love chicken and pork made in the crockpot. In the beginning I was grinding it up to get down 1 ounce. I toast my bread (it goes down easier for me) and i can handle wheat crackers with hummus. Another thing I love is fat free re-fried beans with a bit of salsa and 1/4 c. fat free cheese heated in the microwave. Lots of protein and easier on the stomach than meat. Donna