Ahh back among friends ...

Options
shai74
shai74 Posts: 512 Member
Lol, I needed a break from trying to convert the haters, one cookie monster at a time.

I can't get my head around people who want to lose weight and get healthy who will sit there and tell you it doesn't matter at all what you stick in your mouth as long as it's within your calories. How does that figure?

Not saying it's not their right to do so, if they want to sit there and make up their 1400 cals with McDonalds and Icecream, who am I to comment, but they shouldn't try and defend it as "just as healthy" as long as the calories are the same.

I have horses, and it most definitely does matter what you stick in their mouths. People are no different.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Preaching to the choir, hun. Though I absolutely feel you. Justifying madness, is what it is, but you can't say anything without being fricasseed.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    Oh...they will lose the weight but they'll turn into a noodle.

With little muscle, there's less to metabolize then the fat starts piling on.

It's not really passive-aggressive when they do it to themselves without your hand in it. >:)
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I was almost really turned off by these forums when I first started using them a week or so ago. I even got a pm saying I was a moron for bringing up the fact that not everyone can eat candy and junk even within their calories.

As someone who can't eat sugar and carbs without horrible side effects, I found it disturbing that people preach that they're absolutely necessary. If you want to eat them, whatever..but don't tell others looking for advice on cutting the junk out that they shouldn't cut anything. A calorie is a calorie but it's still crap if the nutritional value is lacking.

I have dogs, a child, a boyfriend with adult ADHD, and my over reactive pancreas that all prove it matters what you stick in your mouth. :)

I'm glad I found this group
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I agree, it does matter what you put in your body. It seems to me that when you start telling a person about the Keto diet, (and they are morbidly obese) that you tell them that carbs are "doing them in", you can tell if they are a "carboholic". They will start circling the wagons around the carbs, go into denial. Just like unrepentant alcoholics. I just say to them, "Whatever" and leave them to their own devices...

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I agree, it does matter what you put in your body. It seems to me that when you start telling a person about the Keto diet, (and they are morbidly obese) that you tell them that carbs are "doing them in", you can tell if they are a "carboholic". They will start circling the wagons around the carbs, go into denial. Just like unrepentant alcoholics. I just say to them, "Whatever" and leave them to their own devices...

I always want to say, "Calm down. No one is trying to take your precious junk from you." Good grief! ]
  • DittoDan
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »

I always want to say, "Calm down. No one is trying to take your precious junk from you." Good grief! ]

LOL! The older I get, the more ornery I get, maybe I'll use that line on them the next time....

• DittoDan
    Options
    Someone posted this video on the group and it is related to the frustration we go through when discussing Keto with the uninitiated:

LCHF

It is SO FUNNY, I have watched it multiple times...

Enjoy,

Dan the Man from Keto Land
  • RockLobster4
    RockLobster4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow @DittoDan, you look a lot different today!
  • leicesteralex
    Options
    Diet war is on.
    I found an interesting presentation on youtube. The guy who did it is vegan but admits that his studies show that a low carb diet is best for most people. Even when it comes to health improvement. But some people drive good on a vegan diet. It has to do with the insulin sensitivity. About 2/3 are better off on a low carb diet however 1/3 of the participants showed no difference in weight loss. The link is here. It's over an hour but very interesting
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've bookmarked this for whenever I come across an aggressive naysayer. :smile:

http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/