Just needed to share my happiness with people who get it!!!

Options
janhiness
janhiness Posts: 32 Member
So just a little about me. I've been on the whole weight loss journey for far too long. I have dealt with depression on and off after giving birth to my son. Well I can say since I've been keto I have absolutely no sign of depression. It's a really strange feeling for me to actually wake up pumped for the day. I know this sounds crazy but I have so much energy that I just find myself running up and down my stairs or doing push ups. My husband mentioned last night how my mood has done a 360 and whatever it is he likes it. I was skeptical about this keto thing but not any longer. I'm seeing results without starving myself and just obsessing over everything. We got lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings and my husband kept asking me if the wings I downed were part of my diet!!! I could go on and on but I just wanted to share my excitement and joy with you all. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend I know I am :)

Replies

• ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Brilliant to read!! I love keto and all its benifits too!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    janhiness wrote: »
    So just a little about me. I've been on the whole weight loss journey for far too long. I have dealt with depression on and off after giving birth to my son. Well I can say since I've been keto I have absolutely no sign of depression. It's a really strange feeling for me to actually wake up pumped for the day. I know this sounds crazy but I have so much energy that I just find myself running up and down my stairs or doing push ups. My husband mentioned last night how my mood has done a 360 and whatever it is he likes it. I was skeptical about this keto thing but not any longer. I'm seeing results without starving myself and just obsessing over everything. We got lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings and my husband kept asking me if the wings I downed were part of my diet!!! I could go on and on but I just wanted to share my excitement and joy with you all. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend I know I am :)
    Janh;

What an upbeat, inspirational post - THANK YOU!!!

Not that it should dampen your spirits (please, don't let it) but your husband's concerns were not unfounded.

If for no other reason than tracking accuracy, you need to take a look at the wings entry in your diary.

Unless you ordered/ate the garlic wings with no sauce at all (entirely possible), the "0" carbs entry isn't quite right.

The carbs come in the sauce and the only info I can find is for the "boneless, garlic' but I don't think there would be any difference bone or boneless.

I'm guessing that what happened (unless you did have no sauce) is that you selected the first entry that came up when you searched the database - it shows the wings with sauce at 0 carbs, BUT, it's a user entered item and it's wrong.

Select the next one down and it shows 4 carbs/wing which is probably closer and matches that shown here:
    http://www.nutritionix.com/buffalo-wild-wings/ingredient/4042/boneless-spicy-garlic-wing

One has to be careful when using "user entered" foods or recipes. You can identify them by the asterisk to the left of the item.

If there is an asterisk, check the "nutrition info" link in the header of the right side box and also look at the number of "confirmations" - if it's zero, beware.

The good news is....even after making the additions you'll still be in GREAT shape - congrats!!!
  • RockLobster4
    RockLobster4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So excited for you! I know how hard depression can be, so I'm so happy to hear that you've been able to make it through the fog and back to the world!

I am loving keto also (except sometimes I just really, really want some bread and butter). My husband has never been supportive of any diets because he loves me the way I am (so sweet, right?) and also because it's hard for us to eat together if I'm dieting. He loves keto because he gets to eat his fried foods with just a few modifications and we're eating a lot more fresh vegetables. I have also noticed a slight increase in my energy level - I'm not running up and down stairs or anything! I hope we're able to stick with it - good luck to you!
  • janhiness
    Options
    Thanks Deaddad101 I fixed it and it had more carbs than I'd like to have consumed but hey still better than what I used to eat. I'll definitely start paying attention more to that.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. :smile: I agree that this lifestyle has really improved my energy levels as well. Although I do miss some carb foods, the benefits really outweigh any downsides for me.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    YAY! :D Jan, glad you feel better. In the "Fat Head" video on YouTube, it explains that a "Low Fat" diet leads to depression. In the 80's when Low Fat diets were the craze, books about depression skyrocketed. Oh well, you've found the truth about diets, I'm glad you're having success and happiness. I hope when I lose my weight, I can follow in your footsteps.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • deansdad101
    Options
    Thanks Deaddad101 I fixed it and it had more carbs than I'd like to have consumed but hey still better than what I used to eat. I'll definitely start paying attention more to that.
    Jan;

HEY!!!

I tried to say it nicely......no reason you had to KILL me <VBG>
    DEANSdad

• janhiness
    Options
    Ahh definitely didn't mean what I said in a rude way. I'm glad you told me!!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Jan, I found this diet had the same effect on me. After a couple weeks, the depression was gone completely. My family has definitely noticed the difference. It FABULOUS to be happy again.

• deansdad101
    Options
    Ahh definitely didn't mean what I said in a rude way. I'm glad you told me!!!
    Jan;

No worries.....just kidding.

Not "rude" at all - it was just the DEADdad typo I was referencing <s>

• KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    baconslave, same here - 25 years of various antidepressants (starting at 15 yrs old!) and this is the ONLY thing that has actually worked.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    baconslave, same here - 25 years of various antidepressants (starting at 15 yrs old!) and this is the ONLY thing that has actually worked.

Awesome! I tried 4 different ones over the years and nothing really made a lasting difference until keto. I'm a whole new person.
  • clarksnack
    Options
    I love your post Jan. Thanks for sharing!
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Jan! Great post! I find myself in awe at people who ask me how I lost weight, I tell them how plus all the benefits I've experienced, and they say "I couldn't ever give up my (insert sugary sweet something here)!". REALLY??? With all the benefits of this woe I just don't see how you could not love this.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Glad to see the lifestyle helped you. I still can't believe how it affected my insomnia. I had tried drugs. They just made me sleep and more groggy in the morning.
    One week on keto and boom perfect sleep, wake up full of energy.
  • melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi Jan! Great post! I, too, love keto/low carb and all its benefits. Some people in my family think I'm killing myself by eating so much fat but I put them all to shame this week. My cholesterol has always been high (I believe heredity has a lot to do with it). Mine was 291 and the dr put me on statin drugs to lower it. Within two weeks I could hardly walk! The medication was attacking and devouring my muscle and sending those toxins to my liver. I immediately refused to take that medication or any other, much to my dr's disappointment. I started low carb and lost 28 pounds, which put me in "normal" weight range for my height. I didn't stay totally on low carb, and even threw it all to the wind for about 8 months. I've been trying harder the last 10 months, not perfect, but a lot better. I certainly feel a lot better without the breads, sugars and processed foods. My cholesterol level on Monday was 227!!! My family couldn't believe it, given the things that I eat (sometimes I eat a tbsp of melted Kerrygold butter, a little swerve and a little cinnamon...It satisfies my childhood need for cinnamon toast!). My dr told me to keep doing whatever I'm doing. Happy camper right here!!
    Keep up the keto lifestyle Jan! It pays off :)
  • deansdad101
    Options
    melissa968 wrote: »
    Hi Jan! Great post! I, too, love keto/low carb and all its benefits. Some people in my family think I'm killing myself by eating so much fat but I put them all to shame this week. My cholesterol has always been high (I believe heredity has a lot to do with it). Mine was 291 and the dr put me on statin drugs to lower it. Within two weeks I could hardly walk! The medication was attacking and devouring my muscle and sending those toxins to my liver. I immediately refused to take that medication or any other, much to my dr's disappointment. I started low carb and lost 28 pounds, which put me in "normal" weight range for my height. I didn't stay totally on low carb, and even threw it all to the wind for about 8 months. I've been trying harder the last 10 months, not perfect, but a lot better. I certainly feel a lot better without the breads, sugars and processed foods. My cholesterol level on Monday was 227!!! My family couldn't believe it, given the things that I eat (sometimes I eat a tbsp of melted Kerrygold butter, a little swerve and a little cinnamon...It satisfies my childhood need for cinnamon toast!). My dr told me to keep doing whatever I'm doing. Happy camper right here!!
    Keep up the keto lifestyle Jan! It pays off :)
    Melissa;

Congrats on your great progress and smart choices.

Even more "congrats" for having the good sense to take matters into your own hands (re the statins).

Now that you are "back" and the deeper you get into adaptation, don't be surprised if your total cholor numbers begin to rise - it's NOT a "bad thing".

There is a large body of evidence (actually "accepted" by more and more docs) that the whole focus and "conventional wisdom" regarding LDL/HDL "numbers" isn't what it was cracked up to be and the (typical) "knee jerk" reaction of docs to script statins was the furthest thing from "do no harm" - possible.

The research is out there and, sadly, it's left to us all to often to "educate" our DOCS (or find one that "gits it".

If you are interested in more detail, there is a wealth of it available.

Start here (if you haven't already) - it's a pretty good balance between "too much" and "not enough" science and jargon and will give you a good start. After that, take the names of some of the "heavyweights" (bad pun) in the field and plug them into YouTube - hundreds of videos of presentations they have made to the medical/scientific communities.

http://tinyurl.com/ovp5p84

• gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Very nice post! Amazing what a change in your diet will accomplish. I had high blood pressure, high pulse rate, low energy, anxiety, trouble sleeping, an erratic heartbeat which just added to the anxiety, and probably a touch of depression as well. Doctor put me on anti-depression drugs and beta-blockers. Didn't like the effects of any of them and threw them away, intent on finding another way. Now I've lost 40 pounds, and all of those problems are either gone or so much better.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    I'm so happy for you. It's like a throwing a stone in a pond and watching the beautiful ripples. :)
  • peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    melissa968 wrote: »
    My family couldn't believe it, given the things that I eat (sometimes I eat a tbsp of melted Kerrygold butter, a little swerve and a little cinnamon...It satisfies my childhood need for cinnamon toast!).

I too have a love of cinnamon toast from childhood. I can remember my mom waking me up to eat cinnamon toast in the middle of the night with her when she was pregnant with my younger brother. I found a 'bread' that works pretty nicely for cinnamon toast and is completely keto.

http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/garlic-bread/

I wouldn 't toast it very long, it gets a bit dry.