50+!

Options
Once over 50 a whole new set of health issues kick in but chatting to each other about common interests can ony help.

Replies

• virgm2002
    virgm2002 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree many in our age group face good old fashioned every day age specific issues. Many of these issues have nothing to do with our life choices. Sometimes it is just genetics or worn out bone tissue and medications. All of these things can make losing weight more difficult but, not impossible. I hope by sharing our struggles it will help motivate others.
  • dwebbqt
    dwebbqt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Very new group! I am working harder now to get healthy than I ever have. Trying not to do the "I wish I had". In some ways I'm doing things I never would have done at a younger age, just because I'm tired of being told I shouldn't try things because of my health. I eat 90% clean, swing kettlebells, walk and run when I can. The running is coming very slowing, keep having set backs, but love it so when I can. I do have medication that makes losing slower, and some health issues that can get in the way but I've decided a lot of it is mind over matter. If I have a mind to get healthy, the rest doesn't matter.
  • phillipsbrenda
    phillipsbrenda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I really enjoyed the articles that you recently posted. Losing weight in my 50s is a struggle - just doesn't come off the way it did before. Still exercising and trying to eat a well balanced diet- being premenopausal just seems to hold the weight regardless of what I do.
  • TowardsAHealthierMe
    Options
    I saw this group and thought I'd join the fun of proving what we can accomplish in our 50's! I chose a new photo - hoping the playful kitten will inspire me to see exercise as something more than just work. I lost some weight with MFP last year but then stopped trying and then got sick, but now I'm back! I'm walking 20 minutes a day and just starting to follow "The End of Dieting" plan.
  • stewde4308
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    Struggling to lose weight and change my lifestyle. quit smoking 7 years ago and been trying to eat healthier and exercise which is definitely hard for me to get into my normal day....I have recently been trying herbalife for 2 weeks now minimal weight loss but it do make me feel better.... hoping to share my thoughts with you all.
  • sudofarr
    sudofarr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am actually over 60 so I have had over 10 years of dealing with the struggle to stay fit over 50 and have to admit I have given up more than once. But I am back in the fight. MFP has been really helpful! It's a way of keeping honest... My favorite exercise is hiking but since I live in New England, that may have to switch to snowshoeing before long! I have also been using a Fitbit and trying to do at least 10,000 steps a day. Right now my diet is fairly low carb... No refined sugars and only some low-carb bread a few times a week. So far so good. I am down about 30 and have 20 to go! So keep posting! It's reassuring to hear about others' successes and struggles.
  • Rsespaniak
    Rsespaniak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Love the concept of this group. I'm coming back from knee arthroscopy for a torn meniscus and I'm not bouncing back from it the same way I did when I was in my 30s. ;) Struggling to lose the weight I gained back after not being able to run regularly.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. We will win the struggle. I have knocked off 28lbs so far at the 1200 with slowly increasing excercise despite injuries. Gets easier to work out as pounds come off. I am about the halfway mark. Learning to workout within my pain injury limits
    Love looking better
    Good luck all
  • virgm2002
    Options
    We are off to a great start with this group. I love our positive can do attitude in the face of our age related issues! I hope sharing our stories will help us all feel more sane about what is going on with our bodies. We need to keep moving forward towards better health. In this vain, I challenge all of you to invite your friends to participate. I would also love to facilitate a conversation about what you want from future discussions. What prompted you to join the group? What will make this a value read? Please share any and all of your ideas.
    --Virginia
  • godaniellego
    Options
    Hello Ladies, thank you for letting me join your group, i'm 52 years old and have Osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia and still working full time and trying to loose some weight with good eating habits and low key exercise. Unfortuately my medication increases my appetite and makes it more challenging, but I refuse to let it beat me!! Danielle
  • rowmoor
    rowmoor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm back on fitness pal ,and looking through the groups this one caught my eye... I'm 56 and have always exercised , but am finding it much harder to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle , hears hoping for lots of tips and challenges of you all !! Karen
  • virgm2002
    Options
    Welcome Danielle and Karen! I'm sure you will find this group very helpful. It is good to hear others fighting through the challengers and actually succeeding. We need to stay motivated and focused and moving forward towards the best version of ourselves!
  • annacook218
    annacook218 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to interacting with ladies experiencing some of life's blessings and struggles at this age in life. I am very blessed with a loving husband and 2 teenage boys and a 20 year old son about to get married in Dec. 2015 to his high school sweetheart. I want to get more active, feel better and look for new avenues to be ME, since my kids are growing up and no longer need me my hands on as much.