The Honeymoon is over now what HELP!

Options
cmcm789
cmcm789 Posts: 18 Member
I had gastic bypass December 17, 2013 and as of today I have lost 105 lbs and am so grateful and thankful that I was able to get it and have reached this point in my journey. I still have about 50 lbs to go and then need to maintain the weight loss. But the honeymoon of my brain not being hungry and the weight coming off relatively easy came to an end about 2 months ago. I started doing a lot more excercise but I wish from the beginning I had started excercising more. For those just starting the Journey, this is a "TIP" that you will be better off starting an excercise program as soon as your Drs says you can excerise, if not starting before your surgery, I wish someone had drilled this into me and told me the importance of it. Whatever the switch is in your head for not being hungry came back and I am thinking about food a lot more, which is a scary thought that I may be going back to old self destructive bad habits. The Protein Shake in the morning was enough to keep me full and satified and it now doesn't seem to do it anymore. I wanted the dumping syndrome to continue and use as part of the "gastric bypass tool" but that stopped also. I am not off the"weight loss band wagon" yet but feel that I can very easliy fall off and before I do that I was hoping for some suggestions to help, and I am asking is anyone else feeling or experiencing this. I was prepared to feel this way 1 1/2 - 2 years from my surgery but did not imagine that it would happen this soon. I have talked to the nutritionist but keep hearing the same things from them which is text book answers, I want real life suggestions. Any Help or Food Suggestions would be appreciated! I have tried to up my protein but that has created the "gas issues" which is another Discussion.....

Replies

• Decsaw
    Decsaw Posts: 20
    Options
    I am at the beginning of the journey, still pre-op so I appreciate the advice about exercising and starting early, I am a kinesiologist so exercise is my thing and I have really worked hard to get myself into a spot pre-op that would allow me to be active post-op.

I wanted to jump in on this discussion because it is such an important one and I am really curious about what the vets will say about eating 2,3,4, years post-op. We all know that weight regain does happen if we fall back into old habits, and in the world we live in, virtually everything tries to push us back into that pattern. Any tips or experiences would be very valuable.

As for food in general, my occupation requires that I have a good working knowledge of food (which is kind of ironic because I also have many issues with food despite being very informed). Now I don't have the post-op experience so this may not be applicable but some things to consider, # 1 would be to plan meals and shop to that plan, I personally find when I plan my food, I eat very clean and am never hungry or crave food, it is when I don't have a meal planned that my mind and stomach think of all the worldly possibilities. #2 you said upping protein is causing gas issues, you could also try upping fiber content, lots of raw veggies etc to snack on. I always have cut veggies pre-cut in the fridge, grab a handful and go. With your morning shake you could try upping the volume of the shake, if you add yogurt when blending it makes it thicker and I find it much more filling, just be careful of added calories and pick your yogurt carefully. You could also add a handful of oats to the shake to provide a bit more substance.

What is your support system like? do you have family? kids? that are regularly eating with you or that you are responsible for food for
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am 2+ years post op from RNY and I am at maintenance. I am not interested in losing any more weight. I must confess I do not feel hunger and I do still dump on occasion so we do not have those items in common. But what we do have in common is an obsession over thinking about food. I still do that as well. But what works for me is this...I can eat it if it does not push me over my calorie goal and it is not junk. I will admit I am a grazer. I like to snack so instead of fighting that urge, I just changed how I do it so now I graze smart. There are always cherry tomatoes, nuts and grapes on my counter. Also I am a serving and logging NAZI!! If it goes in my mouth, it gets logged. So, if that means 5 nuts, 5 tomatoes, they get logged. I also still weigh all of my food and/or count it out. I don't do sugar or caffeine still. My suggestion is if you can't change how your mind works, then make it work for you and not against you.

Good Luck!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 3 years out from Gastric Sleeve, so a different surgery. My suggestion is to go back to what you were doing in the beginning. Again, I had a different surgery so this might not apply but for me it would be: plan your day's meals ahead, take your calorie and protein goals and divide into 6 small meals for your day, make sure to drink all your water (sometimes what we think is hunger is thirst), and do some form of exercise at least 6 days a week. I find when I want to eat constantly all day, if I eat 1/2 my meal at meal time and wait a couple of hours to eat the other 1/2 (breaking 3 meals down into 6), I'm not feeling hungry or having cravings because I'm feeding my body so often during the day. Add 64 ounces of water and really, I can't put anything more into my stomach.

I know it;s hard and scary, but you do have the knowledge and tools to get the last 50 off and maintain. You can do this!

Pat
  • cmcm789
    cmcm789 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions and support. I think I do need to go back to the beginning and drink the 2 protein shakes per day (shakes tend to be protein powder with PB2, frozen bananas or another frozen fruit and fat free Lactaid milk) and then have a very small dinner. But I need to find a good substitution for snacking, I have been picking up Greek Yogurt, or different types of nuts for snacking as well as Pure Protein Bars. I have found that the Raw vegetables or salads and adding Fiber into the diet does not work well with the new stomach. It does make you feel full but not a good full. TMI....Adding the fiber also does not work well because of constipation. I have always been very good about drinking at least 64-84 ounces of water per day pre surgery but since the surgery it is hard and not as enjoyable so it becomes a chore and a struggle, but I am still trying. I cannot go backwards down that road again.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be better off getting rid of the shakes and eating dense protein. You are hungry more often because the shakes go right though, and you don't have any feeling of satiety. Eat some dense protein and you can go longer between eating.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I agree with grim. I am 13 months out and have maintainined my goal weight by eating a high percentage of protein. Most of my meals are 6 oz protein and 2-3 oz veg. I can comfortably eat between 8 and 10 oz (depending on food type). I find that if my meal is light on protein I feel "empty" sooner which can manifest as "hungry" though I understand it's empty and I can control the feeling with fluid.
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve surgery in January of 2014, I started slowing down in August to about 4 pounds a month of weight loss, but by then I was at about 80% of my total excess body fat lost so I expected a slow down. In Sept I rejoined Weight Watchers. It added that accountability that I needed before in the past. I lost 6 pounds that first month and the meetings are helpful. I had gone before surgery as well and I liked it, just couldn't maintain it. I went in with full intentions of sharing the fact that I was a weight loss surgery patient, until it came up in the meeting and it was such a negative thing. Funny thing is that I used to be one of those people who thought that surgery was the easy way out, or cheating but then I had a friend who had the surgery and I saw how wrong that was. I changed my mind about sharing that fact with the group and now looking back I think that might have been my opportunity to educate them instead of shying away but I didn't want to feel shut out because I needed to be there for me and to help myself stay on track. I love the meetings and the information is helpful to me.