First 1/2 completed.

Options
becs3578
becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
Ran my first 1/2 this past Sunday. Been training since January and have run the distance about 6 times prior to the race. About 4 weeks before the race I ran 15.5 miles in old shoes (I'm fault for waiting too long for new ones... and bought new ones the next day but the damage was done)... and I felt a tweak in the arch of my foot at the end. Nursed it for a few weeks and there was no pain the week before. Day before the race I did a 1 mile fun run and felt a twing in the arch again. I freaked and got a PT to show me how to tape it for the next day.

Race day came and the first 11 miles were amazing. The last 2 were torture. Pain from my hip to my foot but I finished. 2:21:13. Saw ortho doc (who is also a runner) on Monday (about my wrist but had him look at the leg) and he suggested that the taping that I did probably changed the way I was running and was the cause of the pain. IT band was painful.. but he saw no real damage. So 1 to 2 weeks of rest and then walking... then lite jogging and I can go from there. Today I am pretty much pain free but the knee still feels a little tired and stiff. But HUGE improvement. Never had that pain before in all my training. Been pretty injury free. I cross train with Crossfit and Ballet.

So bummed that this injury made the end of the race so anti-climatic and painful and hope to try for another one in January. But still so glad I did it.

First 1/2 in the books... now looking forward to what is next.

Replies