I having withdrawals!

Options
OMG I have honestly come to the conclusion that I have a serious addiction….FOOD! I am a week out of VGS and I want to eat everything in the house. Of course, I am not because I am not going to screw this up. It makes it no easier that I still cook for my family and tonight we had pizza. I think this is how alcoholics feel when they are trying to quit because all I wanted was piece of that cheese pizza! This is seriously that hardest thing I have ever done. Please tell me others have felt this and that it gets better!

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    One of the things I wanted to make sure I could still do was to cook for my family and others. I really enjoy cooking. Now, however, I am not eating much of what I cook, so i see it as a different challenge. Cooking is now a fun thing that I do that is mostly for my family. I make sure that there is something I am cooking that I will be eating, but other stuff is just for them and their leftovers.

It certainly makes it easier on me. I hope it can be the same for you.

Good luck!

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Krissy, deep breath! Right now it's really hard for you because this close to surgery you really can't eat anything. But there will come a time when you will be able to add some of this stuff back into your food plan. But, here's the kicker, some of it you may not want to add back in because it will not benefit you. That's a decision you need to make when the time comes, do not stress about it right now.

My husband does most of the cooking because of his hours vs mine. I eat what I choose to out of what he's prepared. We shop together and everything we buy meets my needs as well as his. And if he really wants something I don't want because it's too many calories for the amount of protein, then he eats that and I make something else. But again, it's my choice.

This is a really easy plan when you get right down to it. Protein first, lean, healthy protein. If there's room left, veggies, and then if there's still room and it filts in your calories for the day maybe some potato or rice (starch). I am 3 years out and I will tell you that I rarely eat the starch, there's just not enough room.

I do have pizza every now and then, but it's rare and I have to really restrict the calories for the rest of the day to fit it in. Truth is, if you cook to your needs, your family will all be eating healthier, and that's a good thing. Right now it just feels like a lot and probably overwhelming. That's normal at the beginning. But hang in there kiddo. It gets better and easier.
    26197638.png
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I remember that feeling so well- it's really like a 21 day cycle- and eventualy it does break. But it's hard. You dream about it, obsess over it...I will say that turning the TV off helps because when your in that state, every commercial seems like it's for something delicious.
  • krissyheadrick
    Options
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice. I am sure it will get easier but just driving through town was hard today when I passed every restaurant (especially my favorite Taco Bell). I did come the realization today that everything I used to plan in my life I planned around food. If it was just a quick run to town I would plan on what snack I was getting from Sonic. If it was a vacation trip I was all planned around the menu. I got so down today I actually said if I could do this surgery over I wouldn't have done it. Now I know in about 3 months I won't say that but right now I am totally missing food!
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 days from having my VSG and my husband will be 2 weeks behind me. We have already reached out to the friends that we spend a lot of time with and told them that we still want to spend time with them. What we are going to try and do is have people over after dinner for game night, or a bonfire. So we are getting together, but nobody feels like they are infringing on the other. We recognize how important it is for us to be social, but also that we need to re-engineer our social gatherings around something besides food.

-Phill
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    pcoppock wrote: »
    I'm 9 days from having my VSG and my husband will be 2 weeks behind me. We have already reached out to the friends that we spend a lot of time with and told them that we still want to spend time with them. What we are going to try and do is have people over after dinner for game night, or a bonfire. So we are getting together, but nobody feels like they are infringing on the other. We recognize how important it is for us to be social, but also that we need to re-engineer our social gatherings around something besides food.

-Phill

That's a great plan! And even when food is involved, you can take something you can eat or pick and choose what you eat or don't. For instance, I unexpectedly wound up at a birthday party last night (long story, did it for one of the grandkids) and they provided dinner (hot dogs, beans, mac salad, pop and of course, cake and ice cream). I hadn't planned on this so all of it was not within my calories for the day. And, I had 1/2 a wet burrito left that I was looking forward to for dinner, so I chose not to eat at this party. Just hung out and caught up with people and enjoyed the kids and ate when I got home. Easy? Not especially, I kind of avoided the kitchen most of the night, but having the sleeve has allowed me to become a picky eater, and that is a good thing!
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice. I am sure it will get easier but just driving through town was hard today when I passed every restaurant (especially my favorite Taco Bell). I did come the realization today that everything I used to plan in my life I planned around food. If it was just a quick run to town I would plan on what snack I was getting from Sonic. If it was a vacation trip I was all planned around the menu. I got so down today I actually said if I could do this surgery over I wouldn't have done it. Now I know in about 3 months I won't say that but right now I am totally missing food!

Krissy, when we traveled pre-surgery, I really looked forward to all the "vacation food". Everything from eating in restaurants every meal to the fudge shops and local specialities I had to eat because "we don't have things like that at home." It's totally different now! We went to AZ in September, to the Grand Canyon. For the first time I can fit into the t-shirts and sweatshirts they sell in the gift shops that show I hiked the canyon or something. You know what I mean. I can also fit into the jewelry, rings and bracelets that are specific to that area, things I won't find in Michigan. I found myself bypassing all the "food" related shopping that in the past I did. I didn't even realize it, but the husband noticed and commented. It's amazing what changes in our lives after surgery, and sometimes without us even noticing.

And yes, I did hike the south rim of the Grand Canyon. True most of it was paved, but it wasn't flat by any means, it was challenging in places and it took two days to do it. I don't know how many steps or miles it was, but I know it's something I would never have been able to do pre surgery.

Eventually you will stop missing food and if you want to, you will stop associating everything with food. It's early days yet so be patient with yourself.