2 Week Pre-Surgery Liquid Fast Starts on Wednesday, October 29, 2014. HELP

Options
Hello Friends,
It's been awhile since I've posted but I have great news to share.
I start my 2 week liquid fast on Oct. 29 and my VSG surgery is scheduled for November 12.
My time has finally come and I must say that I am very nervous, anxious and fearful that I will have a very hard time getting through the 2 week liquid fast that my plan requires.
My diet will consist of 5 Diabetic Boost shakes per day. Other than that, just fluids less than 5 or 10 calories and only 1 or 2 cups of decaf coffee with 1 tablespoon of skim milk in it.

This forum has helped me tremendously and I've made amazing friends on the forum as well as learned so much about what I am about to undergo. I want to thank you all for that.
Life has been very hectic with my mom's passing almost 6 weeks ago and my sister who had moved in with me temporarily but has since moved out. Life is beginning to get back to normal. I once heard a friend say that "normal is a setting on a dryer." lol.

It's time for me to reconnect with the daily posts as I did regularly for months. I know that the next two weeks will be challenging and that there is nowhere in the world that I could find more support than on this forum.

I will be checking in daily to help keep me accountable. I don't know why, but I seem to do much better with things when there is an accountability factor.

Thank you again for all of your continued support, especially in my absence. You guys Rock. :)

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Focus on you. Take advantage of this time for deep reflection. cleaning out your mental closet and putting your health and happiness first. Remember, food is not comfort, not a rescuer and not your friend. It is just fuel. following the pre surgery regimen properly will optimize your recovery. remind yourself that you will be eating far less than the 5 shakes after surgery.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mangopickle very much for your words of wisdom. They are very much appreciated. I have waited a lifetime for this awesome opportunity. Here I am having this surgery at the age of 49. What an amazing gift.
    Hope you are having a great day.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    You must be so excited! I didn't have to do a pre-surgery liquid diet so I have no advice regarding that, but Mango really did share some words of wisdom. I know from all of your posts since you have been in this group that you have done a lot of reflecting, a lot of soul searching, and you have done a lot of work to get here - I know you will do great! I am so happy for you!
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm so happy that you're finaly getting what you worked so hard for! You might get bored with nothing but the same boost shakes- try to get different variteies to keep yourself interested. It will help you stay on track and keep the temptation to cheat to a minimum. When I cheated- it was maybe a hard boiled egg or a small cup of soup.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You have come so far already in changing your habits and eating choices. These two weeks will be a small challenge compared to what you have already overcome. Set your mind to it and go get it!

Rob
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    I would definitely get multiple flavors of broth to break the monotony
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Don't be afraid. You have come so far, through many obstacles (as I recall), and you are going to handle this! I did not have a full liquid diet, but I was very restricted pre-op. My recollection is that the first few days were a tough adjustment in terms of feeling super low on energy, almost flu-like. Then it got better. Just be prepared to feel voracious at first. Have no cal and super low cal fluids available - bouillon cubes for broth, and sugar free clear popsicles saved me pre- and post-op.

The most important thing is to train your brain. Think "I can do this", "I am going to do this", "nothing is going to stop me", "I am not going to hold myself back". When you drink your shakes, feel your belly filling, and think "I am satisfied", "this will take care of my hunger", "I am getting so healthy", and so on. It is silly, but really works.

Most importantly - be upbeat and positive with yourself. Do not let fear, anxiety, or self-doubt invade your mind. Fight it back if it arises. Focus on the positive. Be cheerful. Do not go into this with the mindset of "I will suffer". Go into the pre-op diet thinking, "I will conquer".

I know you can do it! You are AWESOME!
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Hi Everyone :)
    Thanks so much for your encouraging words and for reminding me all that I have achieved to get to this point. I know this is the one last hurdle before my recovery and post-op transformation can begin.
    I don't mean to sound like a whiner but all my liquid diet consists of is the 5 Diabetic Boost shakes, decaf coffee and tea and 2 tbsp. of skim milk per day. Other than that I'm only allowed non-carbonated, sugar free beverages like Crystal Light, Powerade Zero etc. I am not allowed to have broth or sugar free popsicles or jello. I am only saying this to clarify what my pre-op diet consists of.
    So far today I've had 3 of my 5 shakes (I am a nightowl and will have the other two before bed). I've also discovered Nestle Pure Life Splash flavored water and will have a Powerade Zero along with some decaf tea with lemon and Equal sweetener.
    I've felt week today and have a mild lingering headache.
    I have totally weened off of caffeine now, I had been weening down on it the past several weeks. So now I start my day with decaf coffee and very little skim milk in it.
    I am so very close to having my surgery and this is such a gift.
    The Bariatric Surgeon tried to call me yesterday about the results of my Esophograph (swallowing barium). Apparently it's nothing serious but he does want to speak to me this week. Hmmmmm. I'm not sure what about but glad it's not serious.

I'm glad had had a fairly easy day and tomorrow is light as well. I planned very little the first few days of fasting. I picked up foil bags of popcorn to give out for Halloween treats. That isn't anywhere near as tempting as the potato chips or chocolate that I usually give out.
    I'm gonna go and load the dishwasher and just lay in bed and watch tv or read for the rest of the night.
    It is so great to have you guys as a cheering squad. It's like anything else in life, unless you have been through something and share a common experience, it can be very difficult for others to understand the challenges one goes through on the journey toward Bariatric surgery and after. You guys are great. Thanks for being here for me.
    I hope everyone is having a great evening. I'll check back in again tomorrow and let you know how I have survived the first full day and night. Bye for now my friends. :)
    PS - By the way Ryple, you look ripped. Way to go my friend, what a transformation. B)
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Today was your surgery day! Thinking of you and wishing you well. Good luck on your journey...Donna
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Most times when trying/enduring something new, its hard because its out of our comfort zone!
    By your past posts it seems that you have already come a long ways so while this might fall somewhere in the slightly uncomfortable area, remember your end goal.
    Just as you've helped your family members achieve theirs (your Mom and your sister), this is now Your time!
    Embrace it for what it is :relieved:!
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good luck! So exciting that everything is coming together and you have a date set.
  • Living4me123
    Living4me123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! You can do this!
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    freeze your flavored water into popsicles!!
  • goodlife1206
    goodlife1206 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am so with you at this point. My surgery date is Nov 6th, so I too am in the middle of a 10-day liquid diet. I have 3 shakes a day, one bar and one soup. Mostly I am not hungry, but from my breakfast to my lunch is about 6 hours, so I do get a little hungry. I initially had a small headache too, but that was the caffeine withdrawal in part. I can have sugar free liquids under 15 calories. I have really enjoyed a 15 calorie sugar free cider packet drink.

I have tried to have very positive self talk as was recommended to you. I also feel this is an awesome opportunity to maximize my health and I will succeed!
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Hi Wilrhy, my surgery date is actually November 12. I am on a 2 week liquid fast before surgery. Every program is different... I wonder why that is.
    Happy Halloween everyone. :)
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help everyone with the two week fast. This forum and the people in it mean the world to me. Thanks for being there for me everyone. Who would have ever thought years ago that an online forum would become such a key support system in our lives.
    Take good care of yourselves everyone and have a great Halloween. :)
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was on liquids and bars and a good dinner for two weeks before surgery. My dr did not require all liquids. Happy Halloween! :D
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Keep us posted. I wondered how you were doing two days in the fast. It will get easier in a day or two.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Hi Everyone, well it's the evening of day 4. Yesterday was better than today headache wise. I'm adjusting to the no solid rule and haven't cheated from just having my 5 Diabetic Boost shakes per day. But my energy is very low and I can't seem to shake this lingering headache. (zero caffeine and 900 calories per day).
    I hope that day 4 brings me a headache free day. lol. I know that by the time I know it I will be counting down to the last week which is only 6 days because I can only have clear fluids the day before my surgery.
    The surgeon called me today regarding my barium reflux esophagus test. Apparently it showed some reflux going on. He asked if I had a history of reflux problems and I said no and that I never take antacids.
    For a minute there I thought he was gonna change my surgery to Gastric Bypass which I don't think is the right procedure to me. He isn't forcing me to switch procedures but said that he would normally recommend it if it was a problem.
    His wife who is also a Bariatric Surgeon will also be assisting in the surgery so that gives me good piece of mind.
    9 days left of the shake fasting and then one day of clear fluids before my surgery on
    Nov. 12. At this point it is hard to imagine what eating food will ever be like again. lol. :)
  • gastrognome89
    gastrognome89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It DOES get better! I was on a similar restrictive pre-op diet to you but just 3 shakes/day. The first week was hard, but by the second week the cravings were gone and I stopped getting so hungry. The more weight you lose in the pre-op stage, the more you maximise your results after the op and the more safe the surgery is, so I just focused on that.

So excited for you!
    Gnomie.