Nutrition Assistance please, new Ketogenic dieter

Options
rphelps1
rphelps1 Posts: 6 Member
I have a couple questions that I hope some of you pro's can answer.

1. When steaming meat or veggies, if I use chicken stock or apple juice as the liquid, would that change net carbs?

2. Is there a way to set MFP to calculate net carbs?

Thanks to all who help with this.

Replies

• 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1. If the liquid has carbs then yes it would change the carbs some. Chicken stock is usually rather low in carbs so it wouldn't have much effect, but juices would.
    2. You can either just subtract the fiber from your carb totals, or find entries labeled net carbs.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Use chicken stock, although if you're steaming with it the apple juice shouldn't contribute any carbs. I still would stick with the stock.

There's a plugin that will do the net carbs for you. I forget the link. I'm sure someone will show up with it.
  • rphelps1
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses. I used water with galic cloves and onion the steam cauliflower. not to bad
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    rphelps1 wrote: »

1. When steaming meat or veggies, if I use chicken stock or apple juice as the liquid, would that change net carbs?

2. Is there a way to set MFP to calculate net carbs?

Thanks to all who help with this.
    RPH;

If you are steaming with a "basket" in a frying pan I agree that whatever is in the liquid shouldn't (?) have a carb additive effect (unless you were to drink the liquid) although I've never actually seen anything to back that up so it's just a WAG.

If you are using a steamer with a heating element I'd stick with straight water, we were using various "additives" in our last one and it "ate up" the element. Since then we sautee vegs in butter (ups the fat which is a good thing). The steamer is relegated to steaming eggs (for which it works great) or occasionally, fish.

For "net" carbs, you can try these add-ins but I'm not sure if they add the net carb function or not (but even if not they're handy). Let us know if it works and if not I"ll dig up the actual plug in if I can find it and if it's still available (site keeps changing and link to the script works sometimes, sometimes not).
    foodfastfit.com/myfitnesspal-x-foodfastfit/#/view1

Finally, if you are actually shooting for KA (keto adapted), it's generally recommended that you NOT use "net" carbs but rather "total" when computing daily totals below 20. If you are LCHF (not KA) it really doesn't matter which you use, only that you are clear about which it is.

And, welcome aboard

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Here is the link for the net carbs macro script from reddit r/keto: https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript
    It works on my windows 7 pc.
  • rphelps1
    Options

Finally, if you are actually shooting for KA (keto adapted), it's generally recommended that you NOT use "net" carbs but rather "total" when computing daily totals below 20. If you are LCHF (not KA) it really doesn't matter which you use, only that you are clear about which it is.

I am a week into a LCHF mod protien diet. everything I have read says "net carbs". Trying to get into a state of Ketosis. I purchased some Keto Sticks and tested this morning with results at Moderarate. Is there a difference between where I am at and KA? Again, this is all new for me and am sure I am doing it wrong.

Yesterday I switched to counting net carbs. Here are results.

Saturday
    Calories - 994
    Total Carb - 10
    Fat - 74
    Protien - 69

Sunday
    Calories - 973
    Total Carb - 36 Net - 19
    Fat - 69
    Protien - 56

I am concerned with exceeding my carb intake. Also, I need to add more calories but do not want to force myself to eat (never hungry). Any advice would be welcomed.
  • deansdad101
    edited November 2014
    Options

I am a week into a LCHF mod protien diet. everything I have read says "net carbs". Trying to get into a state of Ketosis. I purchased some Keto Sticks and tested this morning with results at Moderarate. Is there a difference between where I am at and KA? Again, this is all new for me and am sure I am doing it wrong.

Saturday
    Calories - 994
    Total Carb - 10
    Fat - 74
    Protien - 69

Sunday
    Calories - 973
    Total Carb - 36 Net - 19
    Fat - 69
    Protien - 56

I am concerned with exceeding my carb intake. Also, I need to add more calories but do not want to force myself to eat (never hungry). Any advice would be welcomed.

RPH:

With the exception of Sunday your carb numbers look great (that said, and I'm not sure where you heard to use "net" carbs when attempting to achieve NT (nutritional ketosis) but both atkins and Phinney & Volek suggest "total").

With your recent change in daily cal goal the rest of your macros appear to be reasonable as well so you should be fine there.

You didn't say (or I didn't see) if you are simply "diving in" or did you gradually adjust daily carb intake down over time? The reason I ask is, if going from high carb and the higher cal daily intake to the new goals all at once, it "might" be, too much - too soon, and more difficult (and less likely to be sustainable) than it needs to be. Up to you, of course, but don't set yourself up for failure.

On the styx.
    Personally, I think they are essentially worthless and do nothing more than "convince" folks that they have achieved NT when in fact they have not. There is "some" evidence that the early indications MAY be somewhat reliable but it's pretty much universally agreed (among the "experts") that once one actually reaches NT the results are totally useless.

Measuring blood or breath ketone bodies is the ONLY reliable method of actually "knowing" if you are "in" or "out" of NT.
    0.5 mmols is the threshold and 0.5 - 3.0 the usual range.

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend getting and reading this book, IMO, it's the "bible" and will not only give you what many regard as the "best" current thinking on NK but the research to back it up.

It's available as a kindle ebook (link included)

tinyurl.com/kyt75dn

• rphelps1
    Options
    deansdad101,

Thanks for the link, got the book.

To answer your question, I am diving in head first. However, I am not doing this alone. Myself, my wife and 2 children (19 and 21) are all doing it together. As for the sticks, I know they are not the most reliable method but all I have to go by at the moment. My doctors are in Ohio and I am residing just outside Charlotte. My company has assigned me here for a while to assist in building the territory. I do have an appointment the week of Thanksgiving and will ensure all necessary tests are completed.
  • deansdad101
    edited November 2014
    Options
    deansdad101,

Thanks for the link, got the book.

To answer your question, I am diving in head first. However, I am not doing this alone. Myself, my wife and 2 children (19 and 21) are all doing it together. As for the sticks, I know they are not the most reliable method but all I have to go by at the moment. My doctors are in Ohio and I am residing just outside Charlotte. My company has assigned me here for a while to assist in building the territory. I do have an appointment the week of Thanksgiving and will ensure all necessary tests are completed.

RPH;

It's really not my intention to spend your money <g> but if it is within your means I would highly suggest you purchase either a blood or breath meter since once "in" NK you will want to monitor the levels on a more frequent basis than at the doc's.

Blood meters are the "gold standard" (and also have the ability to measure blood sugar levels). They are relatively inexpensive to purchase but the "strips" are expensive ($4-$5/each).

My preference is the breath meter which, while it is new technology, testing results show accuracy levels approaching or equaling the blood testers.

Here's the link and my suggestion would be the "sport" model. It's a few dollars more but gives more detailed results.

It currently shows "out of stock" on Amazon but that happens pretty frequently, just check back regularly and it will show up if you are interested.

tinyurl.com/lakhldk

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Saturday
    Calories - 994
    Total Carb - 10
    Fat - 74
    Protien - 69

Sunday
    Calories - 973
    Total Carb - 36 Net - 19
    Fat - 69
    Protien - 56

Honestly? At that level of food intake, I think your carb intake is rather moot. You're essentially starving yourself right now (I know, you're not meaning to, but it's still the end result). That low of a food intake will pretty much overrun your carb intake for whether you'll get into ketosis, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "nutritional" ketosis.

Here are a few quick thoughts:

Ditch the vegetable oil spread and use real butter instead (and lard, and tallow...). You'll get more fat, calories, and nutrients out of it (butter is loaded with Vitamins A, D, and K), which will help on all accounts. And be more generous with the fats. I cook my eggs in at least 2 tbsp butter each morning. Swap the calorie free dressing for a good olive/macadamia/walnut oil and balsamic (or other) vinegar dressing, or even a good quality Ranch.

Eat more meat. Meat is great, because it's calorie-dense, and goes with damn near everything. Throw chicken, bacon, or steak on your salads. Pick fatty cuts, too -- ribeye instead of sirloin, chicken thighs (with skin!) instead of skinless breast, etc.

Eat more naturally fatty foods -- avocados, full-fat yogurt/sour cream/cheese, fatty cuts of meat. This will help get the calorie number up where it needs to be, and gets you your fats without feeling like you're adding butter to everything.
  • deansdad101
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Agree that the ~1000/day cal number for those couple days is probably too low but the daily goal is set to 1500 which "probably" is ok (but without all the numbers hard to verify).

Having the whole family "on board" is a BIG plus and really helps - I'm pretty sure I never would have had the success I have without my first wife firmly at my side.

My only concern remains the "cold turkey" aspect RPH but it's your decision. Just keep an eye on it and if you need to raise carbs or cals some and then reduce at a somewhat slower pace that's NOT "failure" - it's smart.
  • rphelps1
    Options
    Thanks to both Deansdad and Dragonwolf. Over the past 3 days I have increased calorie to between 15 & 1900 while keeping carbs under 20. I feel extremely full and it is hard to eat. I chose my goals based on the Macro's I got. However, I revised them to a lesser deficent of 25. Trial and error I guess. Also I drink atleast 120oz water and take vitamin supplements daily.

2033 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (4%, 80 kcal)
    135 g Protein (27%, 540 kcal)
    157 g Fat (69%, 1413 kcal)