Face tingling/flushing?

Options
So I'm not a low carber, or at least not as low as a lot of the people I see on here who do keto and atkins. I stalled in my weight loss and decided to shift my macros a bit. I was regularly eating close to and occasionally well over 300 carbs a day. Now I shoot for between 100 and 150. I lost some water weight which was awesome, and noticed less puffiness in my face which I was not expecting but it's a pleasant surprise :) But one thing I have noticed is on the days that I go way over, my face gets horribly flushed. Like...really noticeable Pikachu red cheeks and tingling. Is that a thing? Just curious, I'm gonna ask Dr. Google too lol.

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    So I'm not a low carber, or at least not as low as a lot of the people I see on here who do keto and atkins. I stalled in my weight loss and decided to shift my macros a bit. I was regularly eating close to and occasionally well over 300 carbs a day. Now I shoot for between 100 and 150. I lost some water weight which was awesome, and noticed less puffiness in my face which I was not expecting but it's a pleasant surprise :) But one thing I have noticed is on the days that I go way over, my face gets horribly flushed. Like...really noticeable Pikachu red cheeks and tingling. Is that a thing? Just curious, I'm gonna ask Dr. Google too lol.
    KHH:

It's not a "thing" (in the sense that it's a "typical" or "common" response) that I'm aware of but if it's happening to you it certainly is for you and I applaud your efforts to uncover the "why is it happening to me?.

Sounds like you have narrowed it down as far as "cause" and "effect" goes (big jump in carb day = Pikachu effect) just keep in mind that that's not always a direct path.

A TOTAL WAG on my part (no research I know of that would support the supposition) but it does make sense that the major carb free for all when you have been regularly eating a more modest amount, would "spike" BS levels which very possibly would then temporarily trigger all sorts of metabolic reactions.

Again a "guess" on my part but that spike "might" be triggering an upset in hormone balace resulting in the effects you are seeing, or of course it "might" be something else as well and the cause/effect link is coincidental.

Please do report back the results of you visit to the "doctor" - it will be very interesting (and enlightening) to see what you learn.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I noticed that in the beginning with keto, I would get tingly lips almost daily. It is more sporadic now that I'm 5 mo in. But I get tingly hands and feet if my electrolytes are out of whack.

Also, it is a thing to get hot flashes for many in the beginning. My face doesn't flush, but I do still occasionally get hot flashes. I do not exceed my carb count, but it usually happens after I eat.

Entirely anecdotal, but hopefully helpful nonetheless.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    are you taking a multivitamin, b-complex, or niacin? those can cause severe flushing of the face.

If not, would those carbs happen to be in the form of beer and wine? many folks are actually allergic and flushing of the face (sometimes mask-like) occurs when consumption takes place.

just two thoughts....
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Hm. I'm gonna google hot flashes and carbs. I looked up blushing and got articles on Rosacea. Curiouser and curiouser!

As for the vitamins I take B12 and D3, but I've been taking those since January. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. Funny you bring that up though because that happens to my dad if he has a beer and when it first happened to me that's what I thought of! But I don't drink.

It's not an uncomfortable experience, it's just I can really tell when it's happening. I'll feel it come on pretty strong, look in the mirror and my face is so red it's near purple. I did start at 410 lbs, I've eaten a heavy carb diet for like 20 years. I lost 80 lbs by lowering my calories but still eating a majority of it in carbs. I wonder if my body is just not used to the lower carb intake. It feels good to have less of a puffy face though and less cravings for pastries haha, I never thought that would ever go away.

Eventually I'll make it to an actual doctor. I lost my insurance >_< so I'm saving up, cuz it'll be $75 just for the visit + cost of blood work.
  • All_New_Me
    All_New_Me Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium intake on those high carb days? I have to be very careful with that...and generally when I eat to many carbs...they come with a lot of salt.
  • Goldilukes
    Goldilukes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am glad you have posted about face tingling/flushing because it's been driving me mad lately. I too have googled my eyeballs out over this and have come up with very little expect peri menapause symptoms. However I noticed that it too happens to me if I go over a certain amount of carbs in a day. I also have high blood pressure often 148/98 and I assumed it could be a symptom of that since I'm usally higher as the flushing is happening. I do believe this is a sugar overload/sensitivity problem. All my weird symptoms went away when I did around 20-30g carbs per day but I've been extremely naughty lately and trying to get back on track. Good luck in finding out the real cause. All my blood work came back fine so I'm confused.