Tri friends & inspiration

Options
Devol
Devol Posts: 40 Member
Hi

I joined MFP initially to lose weight, during the this journey my fitness improved.

in the last few months I completed a 5k, 10k a half marathon, a aquathlon and a sprint triathlon.

my goal for next year is a half ironman, and hopefully a full ironman in 2016.

any advice on how to achieve this is appreciated.

thanks

Devol

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Find a training plan and follow it, trust it, work it. Whether that's through a book like Fink's "Be Iron Fit", or through the plans at a place like Beginner Triathlete, or if you get a coach. Find something you're comfortable executing and follow it.
  • GWSGregS
    GWSGregS Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great goals! I'm taking a long term view on things as well hoping for a half in 2105 and a full in 2016.

I set up a plan for next year froma book, but rally don't know how it will go as I've only done a couple sprint tris so far. For those I just kinda trained when I could fit it in.

I'll send a friend request and hopefully we can motivate each other.
  • nwingr
    nwingr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. Half iron in 2015 then the plan is for the Ironman in Madison in 2016. Following a training plan right now, and am starting to look for a coach for the summer and through the ironman. Good luck and feel free to friend me if you want to support each other.
  • scott091501
    Options
    2 fulls and a half on tap for me in 2015. I have a coach and if you find the right one it's totally worth it.
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    <- Noob Triathlete as well. Started this year after seeing my 55 year old father kick butt in a Sprint and Oly distance. Complete my first sprint on 9/6 and my first Oly on 10/12. Planning on doing Ironman 70.3 Augusta next year and Ironman Chattanooga in 2016.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    More similar advice - make a plan and follow it but be flexible too. The plan needs to fit your lifestyle and your own needs. For example, I follow a three training days, one rest day during peak training which gives more rest than many plans allow. Finding a great swim coach last fall was helpful. Goals for next year - one oly, 2 HIM, and IM Chattanooga. Just for the fun of it and to keep myself from developing only one running speed, plodding, I signed up for a point-to-point mile race in late March. Good luck and have fun.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Set a goal for myself to do a sprint in 2015. Would love to connect with some MFP that are in same boat
  • ShawnTX
    ShawnTX Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Derrick, that is how the addiction starts! Hopefully it will change your life like it has for so many others. Good luck! Friend as many people as you can from this group and you will have a good base of people to draw from.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd like to set a half ironman as my major goal race (might as well take the plunge before I get even older!). Was thinking about Racine, but now I'm second-guessing it and wondering if that's too early in the season and maybe will choose Steelhead instead. I'll pick my other races based on what I plan for that.
  • scott091501
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'd like to set a half ironman as my major goal race (might as well take the plunge before I get even older!). Was thinking about Racine, but now I'm second-guessing it and wondering if that's too early in the season and maybe will choose Steelhead instead. I'll pick my other races based on what I plan for that.

To be honest almost ANYONE can be ready for a 70.3 in 20 weeks. Don't let the distance scare you. If you have the time to be consistent in your workouts and are willing to go outside your comfort zone you're fine.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Well, I signed up, so that should help give me the motivation to be consistent. It's just the time of the overall event that scares me a little. Luckily the running is the thing I'm most confident about, so it's nice that's last. I also signed-up for/just started a Computrainer bike training class which should help get that going despite the weather.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm turing 43 this year and have been working on getting fit and healthy for the past 5 years (*finally*). Have done several 5ks, 10ks and a couple of Halfs. I have done 3 sprint Triathlons and my plan is to enter AND complete/finish a Half-Ironman this year. Currently developing a training plan and getting back on track w/ my diet. **Good Luck in all your goals !!!
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I did one sprint this year (after 1 last year), a long sprint (almost international distance), an international distance and 3 half marathons this year...signed up for a sprint, the long sprint again and a 1/2 IM distance this coming October (Beach to Battleship in Wilmington, NC)...kind of freaking out about the 1/2 IM because of the distance...but I'm working on my base more this winter with steady sessions of swimming, biking and running that won't burn me out but that still challenge me. Plus I have a steady plan already in place for the last 20 weeks leading up to the big race. No plans for an IM ever...I just never have any ambitions to ever run a marathon;) haha...
    Would love to have more friends to bump ideas off of and rant about the ridiculousness of our training sessions, haha!! So addicted to this sport;)
  • Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did one half distance last summer. I had a fantastic time, but oh so much to improve on, I really killed myself on the bike! I'm a pretty decent runner, relatively speaking, an ok cyclist (although I don't have a TT bike), but a poor swimmer - I mainly signed up to the race because I wanted to have a target, and get motivated to go swimming at least every once in a while.

I still enjoy running the most out of all three disciplines, but I would love to do another half distance in 2015, and perhaps a full long distance the year after (and yes, I have watched a few videos from Kona, and wouldn't it be great, but I'm afraid that's a very long way off...).

I'm not sure MFP is a great platform to share training, but I'd be very to talk about it if you're interested, and maybe get some advice as well as motivation.
  • scott091501
    Options
    Racing halves is all about pacing/nutrition on the bike. Basically use your training to figure out where you can push your bike to but still be able to get off and run. Generally it's right below your LTHR. Stick to the number/feeling/whatever your metric is.
  • ShawnTX
    ShawnTX Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    MDLNH wrote: »
    I'm turing 43 this year and have been working on getting fit and healthy for the past 5 years (*finally*). Have done several 5ks, 10ks and a couple of Halfs. I have done 3 sprint Triathlons and my plan is to enter AND complete/finish a Half-Ironman this year. Currently developing a training plan and getting back on track w/ my diet. **Good Luck in all your goals !!!

I could take that post and repost it as my own. Turning 43 this year, same race history, and planning my first half this year. Good luck on your new year!
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Racing halves is all about pacing/nutrition on the bike. Basically use your training to figure out where you can push your bike to but still be able to get off and run. Generally it's right below your LTHR. Stick to the number/feeling/whatever your metric is.

This is going to be the challenge for me, for sure. Back when I was doing Oly distance I'd typically be undertrained on the bike and do worse on that element than the other two. The one time I pushed it on the bike (and had been spending more time biking) I had a terrible run (granted, it was also the hottest one I've done, which could have been part of it).

I finally decided to go ahead and buy a road bike and get started training on it. Last year I rode a lot, but never pushed myself to get any speed, and only had an old mountain bike. I was actually quite pleased with my bike fitness at the Computrainer class I did (given that I haven't been doing anything besides spinning since October), so am excited to start training.

For the record, planning my first half this year at 45!
  • scott091501
    Options
    My advice for halves is to:

1. Have a nutrition plan. Stick to it.
    2. Train and race by some sort of metric (HR or power). Go in with a number you want to stick to and a ceiling you won't go over, even on hills. Getting off the bike when you've burnt too many matches and trying to run an efficient 13.1 is PAINFUL
  • marlt
    marlt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hoping for my first half iron this year as well. Completed two years of sprint tris so far and loving it.
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading a book on triathlete nutrition that I found very inspiring and not too complicated. I've been following it for the past week and recovery has been great. Check it out (I got mine from the library). Swim, Bike, Run--Eat : The Complete Guide to Fueling Your Triathlon By Holland, Tom

I am doing my first 1/2 ironman this summer - Muncie July 12. Friend me if you'd like.