I suffer from binge eating

Options
I'm returning to myfitnesspal after I've reached my all time high. I'm 22 years old and I weigh 260lbs and suffer from binge-eating and depression. I revived my old account because I want to control my eating before my eating controls me but I have no idea how to manage this disease. I go to college and I work and when I'm in public or around friends, I contain my eating to a mouse but as soon as I get home and I'm alone, I stuff my face until I literally throw up. I normally don't eat too much junk seeing as I am vegetarian and I'm picky, but now that I started work - all I do is eat junk food because it's easily accessible.

My goal is to find people who are on the same road as me - a path to get healthier, hopefully for more motivation. I would like to stick to MFP and my goal because I'm afraid that if I continue to be an emotional eater, It'll get worse.

Replies

• dolly1712
    dolly1712 Posts: 6
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi there
    Read your post and I know the binge eating is very difficult to overcome.My daughter had the same problem until she went into therapy and joined weight watcher.This is a girl who has been heavy all her life like 290 and over 300 at times.Once you reached your breaking point is when you will be able to make that change.Its very tough I have been struggling with weight gain myself and am a emotional eater. Let me share a photo of my daughter at 300 pounds before she started her journey .She is now 209 and because she is 5,7 she looks thinner,
    I wish you luck you can overcome this and dont give up.Dolly9tf85zfm2mvv.jpg
  • erethral
    Options
    dolly1712 wrote: »
    Hi there
    Read your post and I know the binge eating is very difficult to overcome.My daughter had the same problem until she went into therapy and joined weight watcher.This is a girl who has been heavy all her life like 290 and over 300 at times.Once you reached your breaking point is when you will be able to make that change.Its very tough I have been struggling with weight gain myself and am a emotional eater. Let me share a photo of my daughter at 300 pounds before she started her journey .She is now 209 and because she is 5,7 she looks thinner,
    I wish you luck you can overcome this and dont give up.Dolly9tf85zfm2mvv.jpg

Wow your daughter looks great! She's an inspiration to me, really. I too have suffered y entire life with binge eating and have considered therapy, but I'm shy so I haven't taken that leap yet. Thankyou for your encouragement! I really needed it!
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has helped me. Just read the first few pages of his free e-book:

http://authoritynutrition.com/vicious-eating/

You will find freedom.

For me, It is also empowering to realize that a LOT of the problem is the addictive nature of junk food on our brain chemistry, and not necessarily just an emotional problem. I say this from personal experience.
  • Summerfit321
    Summerfit321 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I suffer from binge-eating as well. I gained a ton of weight in a short period of time.
    I haven't binged now for eight weeks on Tuesday. It hasn't always been easy, but I have made it through, and I am determined to stop.
    I feel for you, trust me. But you can do it, it doesn't have to be a part of your life forver. :)
  • gigi8oa
    Options
    Binge eating... Part of my eating disorder and let me tell you... I understand you completely. One tip that has controlled my binging is eating 6 meals and drinking 2 liters of water. My binging used to come from me depriving myself from carbs. I used to eat meals with high protein, little to no carbs and my calories never amounted more than 700. When I tasted the least bit of carbs, like something small such as a hard candy, I will go on a roll with no ending, about 8 hours of binging. I will gain 3 pounds the very next day, and if I continued, 3 more pounds. My weight was always fluctuating like a Yo-yo. However, I found that eating 6 small meals of you favorite foods wont hurt. Like for example, since I knew I wanted to eat something sweet, than I will add a twinkie as a snack. Keeping in mind the calories and adjusting it to my daily value, etc.
  • MegsNicho
    MegsNicho Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have almost the same exact problem right now. I go to class and work all day and barely eat a thing because I'm occupied all day but then go home and the food in the kitchen just start crying my name so I naturally stuff my face. However, lately I've been finding that if I make myself a cup of tea or grab only two things from the kitchen and snack on them while I do something else that needs to be done around the house before relaxing for the evening my mind settles and binging isn't as bad.
    Try doing something once you get home that occupies your hands and mind. Make a cup of tea or coffee or make a shake. Busy yourself making a meal, put some music on, shake you bum! (My personal favourite). I will also sound hypocritical here too but try eating more evenly during the day. Small, healthy meals/snacks throughout the day helps too. Lots of water!