Exhaustion and "hit a wall"

Options
Dannadl
Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
I'm 2.5 years RNY post op. I've lost around 180lbs and would like to lose 40 more. All and all things have gone pretty well. For the last 6 months I've been training for a 1/2 marathon and doing a boot camp 4 mornings a week for 45 min. The 1/2 marathon is a week from Sunday. My eating is okay, not perfect but okay. My weight loss has stalled, but I recognize that is due to my eating. I'm holding, not gaining and not losing and for now I'm okay with that.

For the last month I've been just exhausted. I'm getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night, I cut back my exercise some for the last 4 weeks, I've tried to watch my eating and focus on lean high quality proteins and nutritionally dense fruits and veggies. I've had allergy like symptoms for 6 weeks or so and I am just dragging. I added a B-100 b complex vitamin back into my vitamin plan. Otherwise I'm taking what is recommended. I've tried to get more sleep but I'm just not beating this fatigue.

I'm scared because the big race is 10 days away, and I'm tired of feeling lousy and am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sunshine5474
    sunshine5474 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you had your iron checked? I have been struggling with fatigue and just found out my iron is way too low!
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'd check in with your doc. Get your vitamin levels checked, but also an overall wellness check. If you've had allergy like symptoms, perhaps you have been fighting a virus or something. I always get super-tired when I'm sick.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Dannadl wrote: »
    I'm 2.5 years RNY post op. I've lost around 180lbs and would like to lose 40 more. All and all things have gone pretty well. For the last 6 months I've been training for a 1/2 marathon and doing a boot camp 4 mornings a week for 45 min. The 1/2 marathon is a week from Sunday. My eating is okay, not perfect but okay. My weight loss has stalled, but I recognize that is due to my eating. I'm holding, not gaining and not losing and for now I'm okay with that.

For the last month I've been just exhausted. I'm getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night, I cut back my exercise some for the last 4 weeks, I've tried to watch my eating and focus on lean high quality proteins and nutritionally dense fruits and veggies. I've had allergy like symptoms for 6 weeks or so and I am just dragging. I added a B-100 b complex vitamin back into my vitamin plan. Otherwise I'm taking what is recommended. I've tried to get more sleep but I'm just not beating this fatigue.

I'm scared because the big race is 10 days away, and I'm tired of feeling lousy and am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

First, you are doing an amazing job and you've come a LONG way, so be proud of yourself and your accomplishments. You are a voice of experience and a fantastic resource for people like me who have come to WLS recently. So, thank you!

Second, the exhaustion thing is a problem, not because it means that something is deeply wrong with you, but because constant fatigue is debilitating and demoralizing. It can come from so many sources, not all of them physical. So, I think that going to the MD, explaining your symptoms, and getting a lab work-up is a good idea and a good place to start. Beyond that, it may be a good time to stop and take stock of what is going on around you, what is working for you, and what is holding you back. For myself, I am never so fatigued as when I am bogged down with worry, stress, or anxiety. It affects everything.

Best of luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

Kate