Loose Skin!

Options
Hey everyone I am new to this site and was wondering if everyone ended up with loose skin? I am having Gastic Sleeve Surgery in October and I am so worried about having loose skin after I loose weight. I am 5'11 and I currently weigh 369 pounds. I am not worried about my arms and legs because they have little fat. I am really worried about my torso though because that is where I carry most of my weight. So if you guys have any good suggestions or if you didn't really end up with loose skin I would love to hear what you did?

Replies

• stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is pretty much a fact of life when you lose so much weight (through surgery or not) but compared to being overweight, it is a side-effect I'll take. Of course plastic surgery later to remove the skin is an option.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You will have loose skin in all likelihood. I'm 5'7", almost 47 years old. I had RNY 3/2012. My starting weight was 364lbs and my current weight is 168lbs. I have loose skin on my thighs, my stomach and my arms, and my breast are greatly deflated. That being said, I still look way better than I did and the loose skin is actually not as bad as I was expecting it to be. I have no loose skin on my face or neck at all. Drink lots of water, exercise and accept that there will be loose skin. Age, genetics and amount of weight loss factor into how much.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    At 46 lbs down and 34 left to go, I am already seeing loose skin at my thighs, biceps, and abdomen. Whether you get loose skin depends on your skin, how obese you are and how long you've been obese. I was told by a plastic surgeron that people who have been obese for fewer than 5 years are more likely to have their skin bounce back, while people who have been obese their entire lives are less likely.

I don't think there is much you can do about it.

I've read that to help your skin, you should be super hydrated. I've also read that the anti-cellulite creams that you can buy at the pharmacy can be applied to areas of looser skin, with some visual improvement over time. Some people report visual improvements with body wraps.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I would agree with all the posts above. I have lost over 200 lbs and boy, do I EVER have loose skin. I don't love it, but it is what it is, and I would take this over 200 extra pounds any day. I would not trade the way I feel for anything, and loose skin can always be fixed.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Ok, so loose skin isn't the most attractive thing to look at (or be seen) but Id rather have it in a non conspicuous area(s) where I can better manage on covering it than say my face :ohwell:
    Im hoping that after my Sleeve and as I shrink in weight size (Lord knows I cant afford to shrink in height :wink: ), Im hoping that my face will return to a more "normal" look minus the extra skin :smile:
    We've all probably seen those commercials or ads where they say you can fix your (turkey) neck problem using this certain gadget, yeah right!
  • aamber02
    aamber02 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 as well and find that we are at an advantage with height - much like it enabled us to hide a bit of weight easier, it seems to help a bit with loose skin as well. I've lost over 80lbs and I definitely have loose skin, it does bother me but it's nothing compared to how carrying all that extra weight made me feel.
    It's worth it!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    It depends on so many things. Your age, your genetics, your health, how much extra weight you carry and where, how long you've been obese, etc. It is hard to say. You will probably have some extra skin, but give it time and see how things change up. I recently saw a post in the Success Stories board showing before and after photos of a woman who had a lot of excess skin to begin with, and it amazingly reduced over time, even after she was at her goal weight. Maybe you can find that if you look. It was interesting.
  • swetienancy04
    swetienancy04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am worried about it but I think a little bit of loose skin will be better than being obese. aamber02 I agree being a tall women no one ever thinks I weigh as much as I do when I tell them.... hopefully I don't have much!