Bananas

Options
Curious about everyone's thoughts on bananas. Love em? Think they are bags of sugar? Is there a difference between "off the tree" bananas and those we get in the supermarket? I had one at breakfast this morning - forgot how much sugar are in those things! But is the potassium bump worth it? What do you think?

Replies

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I LOVE bananas. they're a regular in my house but I don't have them every day. I dont think that fruit sugars are bad for you, not in moderation. Love them in a protein shake too...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Whether the sugar is an issue for you depends on your health. For someone with metabolic disorder, sugar is sugar, and the potassium bump isn't worth it. However, the amount of sugar depends on the ripeness, so a green banana has some good starches that some might need to support their gut flora.

That said, for the sugar load, I'm not keen on them as a potassium thing. They're not even "that great" for potassium compared to some other sources with lower sugar loads.

Personally, I see them as a treat or way to naturally sweeten something. I prefer not to eat them by themselves (bananas + nut butter = mmmmm.....).
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    <Metabolic disorder. Bananas don't work for me. There are just as good and even better foods for potassium with far less sugar/starch (if I ate them green they would likely be more beneficial). Examples: animals (pretty much all of them), spinach, artichokes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, asparagus and more. Apparently, kale, spinach, avocado, and salmon are all higher in potassium than bananas (oh, and lima beans... yuck).

Bananas, one per day, work for my child though.

(I'll take avocados over bananas any day. Now I'm starving for lunch!)
  • artistryrose
    artistryrose Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I buy bananas every other week usually. 6 so that my boyfriend and I each have 3 for that 7 day period. We treat it as the treat of all fruits. Its a little more filling. Its a natural sugar and it's raw. I say they are a great go to snack or breakfast on the go food! Probably best to eat early on in the day. Because as the day goes on most tend to be less active.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have never been big on bananas. When I buy a bunch I end up freezing them or throwing them away. I eat one or 2 and am done. I also don't need all that sugar.

For potassium, I think one of the highest I have seen is rainbow chard if I remember correctly, somewhere around 1000 mg. I used to have a potassium deficiency, caused by medication, and had to REALLY watch this. I used to take V8 every day, eat greens of all kinds and add them to everything, and I love avocado so that gave me an excuse to eat them. Potassium in bananas pales in comparison.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste. I never add them to anything because that's all I end up tasting. I liked them before my pregnancies, but after them a lot of my taste preferences changed and that was one of them. Can't even stand the smell of overly ripe ones.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have one once or twice a month, I like them but can't live with them, it would be a slippery slope if I had one daily.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I wish i could have em, I used to have one every day until I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes :\
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I think bananas are super delicious.
  • lujo321
    lujo321 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't care for bananas but I love plantains. If I eat a high carb vegetable or fruit I usually have it for breakfast. First it keeps me fuller until lunch and helps me snack less. Second it has lots of time to burn off before bedtime.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    lujo, you must have a very healthy insulin/blood sugar response then! If I eat plantains or similar starch in the AM first thing, I am a weak and shaky mess soon after. NEVER been able to do that my whole life, even before all the food issues.
  • sarabeth624
    sarabeth624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do love plantains too - don't get the sugar cravings off them that I get from bananas. Maybe because the starch is different? Anyways, I've had friends tell me that bananas from the supermarket are nothing like bananas off the tree.
  • ElisaMicciulli
    ElisaMicciulli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love bananas and could eat them everyday. I am trying to now limit them because I did start eating them everyday this week and I think it's too much sugar.