Hashimoto's and age

Options
Surfingbodi
Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
Well what a combo that is!? Looking for com unity to help learn and support our health around this autoimmune disease. Doctors seem to be unsympathetic AND what works for me one year seems to not work the next. Not only do I have crazy weight gain but also frequently feel like I have flu, exhausted, and very emotional & irritable. Current med changes seem to be helping but it is such a complicated disease and highly dismissed by medical community because it is so complicated.

Anyone out there want some support around this? I really need it :(

Replies

• pamd66
    pamd66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto and I am 48yrs old. I hve hypothyroidism as well. My weight gain began when I was in college. I had a pituitary tumor. The doctors didnot diagnosed that until 1992 and my thyroid was not diagnosed until 19995. I start having prblems in 1987. The pituitary tumor is now gone as of this year due to medication. I had a endo doctor tell me once that my weight gain was not due to my thyroid because I am on medication. I was pissed off. Other doctors have told me the opposite.
  • RedBec7
    RedBec7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Today is my 44th birthday. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 3-1/2 years ago. It's been a very rocky road with lots of ups and downs. I've mostly felt like crap for the last 4 years and have gained a lot of weight. I've spend the last several months really paying attention to how I feel, what I eat, when symptoms occur, trying to get some control over my life again. I'm still trying and learning. My doctors have been almost useless.
    I'm wondering now if I also have an issue with my pituitary gland as my TSH is very, very low (.018) but my T3 & T4 have been in the low end of the normal range.
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    Thank you both for responding. Do either of you ever have problems with frequently feeling like you have the flu (achy, sore lymph nodes in throat, excessive fatigue all together)? I find this happens to me frequently if I am working a great deal physically or exercising but honestly don't know that this is due to the Hashimotos?
  • RedBec7
    Options
    I have exercised on and off since my diagnosis but stopped altogether after the first of the year. At the end of August I started exercising again. I rode my exercise bike for 30 minutes about every other day. Within a week I started having really bad hypo symptoms - extreme fatigue, depression, aches, stiffness, brain fog. I kept exercising despite the symptoms but then stopped after about 3 weeks because I just couldn't function anymore. Within a week I started having extreme hyper symptoms - heart racing, anxiety. That subsided after a few weeks and now I feel more balanced.
    I really think the exercise sent me into a tailspin although I'm not sure why. I created a post on here about it and have read on a few websites that exercise can cause issues for someone with thyroid problems, but no one seems to have an answer as to why.
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    :( bummer and yet helps me to know I am not crazy!
  • RedBec7
    Options
    It certainly helps to know its not just me.
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    There is a woman who lives in my town that just wrote the following book:
    http://www.thethyroidcure.com/

Are any of you familiar with it? I got a copy immediately and there is a lot of great stuff in there but it is a lot of information.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @RedBec7 I find it irritating and interesting at the same time that things that work for one person do not work for others. I ( with Hashi ) feel bad when I do not exercise. And it has to be a type of exercise that actually makes me sweat, otherwise it doesn't seem to count.
  • RedBec7
    Options
    @RedBec7 I find it irritating and interesting at the same time that things that work for one person do not work for others. I ( with Hashi ) feel bad when I do not exercise. And it has to be a type of exercise that actually makes me sweat, otherwise it doesn't seem to count.

I know, it would be so much easier if we all reacted the same way. In the past, before my thyroid went totally off the rails and I was diagnosed, I loved working out and successfully lost a lot of weight. Since then I've felt pretty bad most of the time (and regained all the weight) so I didn't really connect it with working out until recently after a period of feeling okay. Maybe exercise has been a factor the last few awful years, maybe not. Maybe it's a new thing or maybe it was a fluke. I'm just not sure.
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    RedBec7 wrote: »

I know, it would be so much easier if we all reacted the same way. In the past, before my thyroid went totally off the rails and I was diagnosed, I loved working out and successfully lost a lot of weight. Since then I've felt pretty bad most of the time (and regained all the weight) so I didn't really connect it with working out until recently after a period of feeling okay. Maybe exercise has been a factor the last few awful years, maybe not. Maybe it's a new thing or maybe it was a fluke. I'm just not sure.

my experience has been very similar to yours redbec. i have always been a big eater (generally healthy food but still) but i was always very active so it was fine. now feeling sick and exhausted so much has made being active in a predictable way impossible and really gets me down as i will have a window of feeling really good and think it is 'over' just to get kicked to the curb and no one around me understands as i seemed so healthy and now i am exhausted every day, as if it is psychological. uggg.

@ aller - i also find it incredible frustrating that what might make things better for me for a window of time fails to continue to work. i feel like i am constantly trying to adjust my food and meds and lifestyle to get a surge of life back into my body.

• RedBec7
    Options
    @Surfingbodi - Yes, our experiences sound very similar. I get mad at myself for thinking that things are going to be okay during those good times because they never last. They haven't happened often but when they do it is so nice to feel like a normal person but then things get bad again and I have no idea why. It's so hard not having any control and no one really gets it unless they've been through it.