Moving onto marathons

Options
KWKY
KWKY Posts: 110 Member
Hi everyone!

I have done six HM's in the last four years, the fastest being 2:10.

After all this training I think I have worked out that I am not going to much faster than this but I can certainly go at the same pace for longer, so I am toying with the idea of doing a full marathon in 2015.

Currently there are two events I can participate, one in July and one in September (in winter and spring respectively, I am from Sydney).

So my questions are

1. when should I start training for a full marathon (I currently run 3 times a week, in total probably 20-25 km a week)

2. is 5 hours a decent finishing time for a marathon or will I get kicked out?

3. I have been using the "Run Less Run Faster" method with quite good success and would like to do so with the marathon training, meaning only three runs a week, has anybody done something similar? if so any feedback appreciated.

Any other hints and tips appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

Replies

• larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've run a couple of HMs but no marathons so my advice is just based on what I've read.
    I would start training for a full marathon now as you don't want to increase total weekly mileage more than 10% a week. Here's a few good marathon running plans:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/marathon-training-guide
    http://www.runnersworld.com/training/marathon-training-plans
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon-training/

I suggest you spend a little time reviewing to decide.
    As you want to stick with only three runs a week, you might start increasing the mileage of your long run now. Good Luck!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you don't mind taking advice from this "almost" 60 year old lady who is currently training to run-walk her first marathon in January 2015...if you have the time, health and inclination to do a full marathon--do it.

I've completed three 1/2 marathons in the last year (with a 4th coming up tomorrow) using a run-walk program with a 2:22 PR. I train only 3 days a week (because my old body needs more time to heal and rest) and I do one long run a week and 2 45-minute short runs mid-week. So far my longest run has been 20 miles (last Monday). I've been trying to keep a blog on it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/boatsie77?month=201401

To answer your questions:
    1) I started training for my January 2015 marathon (Walt Disney World) in July using a 28-week training program. It really depends on which training program you select and the date of the marathon. Keep in mind that a lot of the "canned" marathon training programs out there, even through they are broken down into "beginner, intermediate & advanced" don't take into consideration one's age and lifestyle, so most need to be tweeked to work within your own time constraints and abilities. It's better to add a few extra weeks to account for vacation time off or an injury setback.

2) for a 1st marathon you only need to cross the line before they haul away the Finish banner. Disney has an 8 hour limit, but that's pretty generous. The 1/2 marathon I'm doing tomorrow has a 6-hour limit (which includes the full marathon). I think 6 hours is pretty much the norm, so 5 hours will do nicely.

3) As I said before, I'm only training 3x a week for my full marathon; since I haven't really done it yet, I won't know how it will come out, but with Disney's 8 hour limit I'm pretty sure I'll be OK. Considering that I'm going to be 60 years old and have been run/walking races for only a year--and you're a couple decades younger than I--I think you've got a pretty good chance of success.

Picking a marathon a bit further out will give you more time to research and plan your training strategy and give you more wiggle room should you experience any setbacks due to personal plans or injury. You can also work in some longer races ( 10K, 15K & 1/2s) into your training. But if you seriously want to do a marathon, I would recommend you put your money on the line as soon as the marathon signup opens--that will get your mind and body working toward a concrete goal and not just a "dream."

Go for it!
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will aim for the July one but will probably end up doing September. I'm very excited as there is no time pressure on the first one... it's the subsequent ones you want to beat your own time.

• boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    KWKY wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will aim for the July one but will probably end up doing September. I'm very excited as there is no time pressure on the first one... it's the subsequent ones you want to beat your own time.

Whichever you choose, if you REALLY want to do a marathon, I recommend you sign up & put your cash on the line as soon as possible--nothing adds motivation to a training plan like the thought of wasting cash. Until I hit the 'order' button on the registration sign-up page, and the entrance fee was now officially 'nonrefundable,' my marathon was merely a 'desire. . After hitting 'order'...it was a commitment I made to myself.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    1. when should I start training for a full marathon (I currently run 3 times a week, in total probably 20-25 km a week)
    I hate to give a glib answer, but it really depends on the training plan. A good long term plan will have different phases; base conditioning, strength & speed development, sharpening & tapering.
    2. is 5 hours a decent finishing time for a marathon or will I get kicked out?
    Absolutely. Now I'm only a veteran of one marathon, so not an expert, but I've done my share of reading. The big events allow a much longer time than 5 hours. The smaller marathons, run on routes where road closures are needed will have to have a lower cut off. 6 hours seems common for those type of events
    3. I have been using the "Run Less Run Faster" method with quite good success and would like to do so with the marathon training, meaning only three runs a week, has anybody done something similar? if so any feedback appreciated.
    This isn't something I've tried. It doesn't appeal to me. You'll likely find plenty of advocates and plenty of detractors I am sure. There is some negative opinion on this as a marathon approach, I'd suggest reading that if you haven't already and see if it makes sense to you.

Any other hints and tips appreciated!
    -The ideal race would be the one that has the coolest weather, the flatest course and the greatest level of spectator support to cheer you on. You'll want to trade-off between those variables.
    -Consider raising some money for charity. I found that helped me when I struggled in training and in the race. I felt very accountable to those who had donated.
    -It's a wonderful feeling to run a marathon. A heck on an achievement. Enjoy and good luck.