Hair loss...

Options
2»

Replies

• boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I tried biotin for about 2 months, and didn't notice any improvements in my nails....so I'm not dumping more into it. My surgeon said it was mixed results with biotin.
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    boomerkae wrote: »
    I tried biotin for about 2 months, and didn't notice any improvements in my nails....so I'm not dumping more into it. My surgeon said it was mixed results with biotin.

So have you seen change for the worse, or just no change at all?

• boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    jamezln wrote: »

I'd say no change. I was hoping for stronger nails, as currently, I have pretty thick hair. they still split and aren't super strong. The pills were cheap enough at Walmart, so I'd only spent maybe $3, so it wasn't a total waste, just not what I'd been hoping for.

• renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had almost given up, I continued to lose hair for months and months. I was eating over 100 g of protein daily, taking biotin etc but I still was losing a significant amount of hair. As a last ditch effort, I tried Journey hair balance vitamins. I was skeptical but thought it was worth a shot. These vitamins really work for me. My hair loss did dramatically slow down and I have lots of new hair growth. The recommended dose is 4 a day but I think that might be for gastric bypass patients. I have been taking 2 a day and have seen a huge change. Here is the link

https://shop.bariatriceating.com/Journey-HAIR-BALANCE-CAPSULES--Nutrient-Boost-for-Hair-Nails-120_p_160.html

hope this helps some of you :)
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Biotin comes in different strengths. Hair,Skin and Nails Vitamins has 5000 mcg of Biotin.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    jamezln wrote: »

I'd say no change. I was hoping for stronger nails, as currently, I have pretty thick hair. they still split and aren't super strong. The pills were cheap enough at Walmart, so I'd only spent maybe $3, so it wasn't a total waste, just not what I'd been hoping for.

Me too. I tried biotin/keratin supplements. You can get store brand at Target. No obvious improvement.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have been taking 5000mcg Biotin since 1 month pre surgery and have had no noticible hair loss other than what was normally happening presurgery. My nails appear much stronger and if sharpened I could use my toe nails to spear fish!
  • commissionette
    commissionette Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    4 months post op and just noticed my hair thinning....the panic is insane. My hair is thin to begin with...hoping what I've read about it only lasting a little while and then growing back is true. Crossing fingers, toes, and what remaining hair I have :cold_sweat:
  • commissionette
    commissionette Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    renovagirl wrote: »
    I had almost given up, I continued to lose hair for months and months. I was eating over 100 g of protein daily, taking biotin etc but I still was losing a significant amount of hair. As a last ditch effort, I tried Journey hair balance vitamins. I was skeptical but thought it was worth a shot. These vitamins really work for me. My hair loss did dramatically slow down and I have lots of new hair growth. The recommended dose is 4 a day but I think that might be for gastric bypass patients. I have been taking 2 a day and have seen a huge change. Here is the link

https://shop.bariatriceating.com/Journey-HAIR-BALANCE-CAPSULES--Nutrient-Boost-for-Hair-Nails-120_p_160.html

I just ordered this so I'll let you know if I see any difference when I start taking it.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    renovagirl wrote: »

I just ordered this so I'll let you know if I see any difference when I start taking it.

I hope it works for you. I am the biggest skeptic and never expected it to help me. But I'm a believer now!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    vyvrhovat wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm really confused about why nobody had mentioned Biotin or the Hair, Skin & Nails supplements to help with hair loss. I was told by several people that this helped them, my doctor and nutritionist suggested it too.. Does nobody else's doctors suggest these things? My operation date is Tuesday, but I'm going to be loading up on the Biotin as soon as possible to see if it will stave off as much hair loss as possible.

I use Biotin and have heard good things about Hair, Skin and Nails. My nutritionist told me to take Biotin and it worked great to slow down the hair loss and help me regrow most of it.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For those with thinning hair you can also try using Nioxin shampoo which helps by removing DHT from the scalp. http://www.livestrong.com/article/18224-nioxin-shampoo-make-hair-grow/
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm six months out and my hair has been thinning out. I don't know if it's the surgery or my age, but I'm a good little girl about my protein and zinc and biotin, etc. Mangopickle had mentioned a while back that her hair was coming back, so I'm holding onto that. It used to be lush and thick, but less throughout my 40s and now that I'm almost 56 it is much thinner than it used to be. It may just be age. My husband tells me not to worry, that it will come back.