Ocean Racing Series

Options
Dory_42
Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
After years of contemplating the idea, I signed up for our local racing series. I will be doing the 1 km swim. It is a series of 9 races starting on Sunday and ending mid-March. I want to use this thread to record my progress in training and the actual races.

Any comments, tips, etc are most welcome.

I start by getting back into the ocean this morning and seeing how I do...

Replies

• Dory_42
    Options
    Training swim on Monday. Tuesday was howling gale so skipped the swim. Wednesday started with a freezing swim but it was worth it when a pod of dolphins swam around me at the end. I then spent half an hour cleaning the seal pool, while the seals kept coming to check out what I was doing...
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Training swim on Monday. Tuesday was howling gale so skipped the swim. Wednesday started with a freezing swim but it was worth it when a pod of dolphins swam around me at the end. I then spent half an hour cleaning the seal pool, while the seals kept coming to check out what I was doing...
    That sounds amazing.
    Trying to imagine swimming with a pod of dolphins!
    Wow!

Why not post some pictures at this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1413984/what-pool-river-lake-were-you-in-today-pictures#latest

• Dory_42
    Options
    Thanks. I will find some good pics. Haven't been able to swim since Wednesday as I whacked my head on the seal pool gate while swimming our blind seal through and have a suspected mild concussion. Taking it easy so I can get better and therefore still take part in Sunday's race...
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Had registration event last night so now I have my race number band and swim cap. Getting excited for tomorrow. Also feeling better so concussion seems gone!!
  • Dory_42
    Options
    First race completed in 36 minutes in rough conditions. Had lots of fun. Next race in two weeks and aim is to beat this time...
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well done - that's great.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Race 2 cancelled due to terrible wind. Not sure if I should be disappointed or relieved as my life has been so chaotic in the last two weeks I have not been in the water once...
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Race 3. No training since Race 1 due to foul weather and chaotic life. Similar result to last time, slightly different course so hard to compare properly. Won lucky draw prize of free month training at local MMA club!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Race 3. No training since Race 1 due to foul weather and chaotic life. Similar result to last time, slightly different course so hard to compare properly. Won lucky draw prize of free month training at local MMA club!
    All in all a good time then!
    Good job!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I want to know how you handle the salt water. I can get used to the waves and tide, but I cannot get used to the salt water. Especially when it gets in my mouth.
    Maybe it depends on location. When I go to the Caribbean on holiday I don't remember it bothering me. And its terrible when I go the US East coast beaches.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    How to handle the salt water? by exposing yourself to it regularly I guess. By building the habit? If anything salt water is much easier to manage than chlorinated water for me. A good thing as this is the reason why I started swimming in the ocean. 3-5 times a week. Loving every bit of it. Plus am getting my electrolytes ;)